Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times

Advertisements

And let me be clear. No, there is nothing wrong with May-December relationships...when both want this. We fall for whom we fall for, sometimes age has nothing to do with it either way.

What this thread seems to primarily be about is unwanted, and quite plentiful, attention from much older men. It's definitely not always wanted and it's definitely not cute and I feel men should really understand this. If it's no, then it's no. And if it's consistently no across the board of a variety of women, you probably want to stop what amounts to harassing younger women. They don't want you. It is what it is. It doesn't mean nobody wants you. There is someone out there for you.

May-December relationships do exist and many work out wonderfully but from my experience and the experience of virtually every woman I know, the "wanting an older man thing," though obviously extant, is way less prevalent than some men want to believe it is.

Obviously it's not against the law to approach a much younger man or woman, I'm not being dramatic about this, just pointing out a reality of life. Yes, the appropriate answer is "I'm sorry but I'm just not interested" and it should pretty much stop right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 AM

470 posts, read 1,163,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Here's the reality: Many women like older men, and many women don't. Many of the ones who don't like older men really REALLY don't, to such a great extent that they're unable to recognize that many other women do. They think all women share their preferences, and therefore it seems inexplicable to them than older men would hit on them. Well, the reason older men hit on you is that some women do in fact like older men, and they have no way of knowing if you're one of them until they try. If you're not interested, politely decline and allow them to move on to someone who is. Everybody wins.
Lol pretty much..women are weird, I've had an cold/hot dating relationship with a 22 year (I'm 31) who is interested in me but at the same time got turned down by a 26 year for being too old lol.
I think under 10 years age diff. us men are fine, once you get close to like 15 then its weird O.o, who knows I might have a diff. opinion if I'm 40 and single still lol.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
I think the number of women who like older men is about the same as the number of men who like older women.

Quote:
I think under 10 years age diff. us men are fine, once you get close to like 15 then its weird
Do you feel the same way about women who are 10 years older than you?

Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM

I think that when men want younger women, it's homoerotic thing.

Here's my reasoning:

When an 40y/o guy dates a 22 y/o woman, that raises his status among guys his own age (assuming his friends are douches like he is). And it lowers his status among women his age (because they see what a douche/pedophile he is).

By exclusively pursuing young women, a guy is showing that he values the opinion of (douchey) men more than the opinion of women -- so much so that the women's opinion is irrelevant to him. He's all about impressing the guys. Homoerotic.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 AM

470 posts, read 1,163,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I think the number of women who like older men is about the same as the number of men who like older women.

Do you feel the same way about women who are 10 years older than you?
Hmm I don't know, I never wanted to have a kid in my younger days but now I do, so I have to take that into account. If you were to put a gun to my head I would say no for a long term relationship/settling down..Dating yeah sure why not , there some hot 40 year old chicks. In the last year I casually dated a 19 year old and a 44 year old lol.

I think it depends on what you mean by "older", if you look at any dating website's the age parameters set by women are only one two years younger and 5-10 years older. For men it is usually the opposite...

Old 06-23-2013, 11:43 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,922,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Not really.
Yes, really.

Quote:
No, the reason older men hit on you is that they want a younger woman
Of course. It goes without saying that people only hit on people they're interested in. Nothing I said contradicts that.

Quote:
This I agree with. We all have our preferences. I might add: no is no.
Agreed. That should go without saying, too. Both sexes have people of all ages who don't seem to understand that, unfortunately.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Hmm...That doesn't fit my experience. (Not to say the latter doesn't happen, just that it doesn't appear to happen nearly as frequently as the former.) I would never claim my experience to be universal, though. Have you seen data on this? I'm curious now.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
I think it depends on what you mean by "older", if you look at any dating website's the age parameters set by women are only one two years younger and 5-10 years older. For men it is usually the opposite...
That fits my experience with online dating in my area, too. In my late 30's the women I dated ranged from mid 20's to early 40's, and that was as much due to their preferences as to mine. (A couple of late teens and early 20's showed interest, as well, but that's too young for my preferences.) Women older than early 40's just didn't show an interest very often. Their stated age range preferences generally started near their own age and went up from there.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with her not wanting to date 55+ men. Just as there's nothing wrong with a 42-year-old man not wanting to date 55+ women.

How many of you guys just did a mental "eeew" at that thought (the older woman)? Well guess what? Many of us women do the same thing. You just don't get it...despite what many men want to believe, "older" men aren't always attractive. (Particularly the average older U.S. male, to be frank about it.) And we can't "make" ourselves feel attracted to those men no matter how much our (still quite patriarchal) society tells us we're supposed to feel it.

There's this whole "men can date much younger women because older men are still attractive" idea...I hate to be harsh about it but no, that's far from "generally" true. Some women feel this way, sure. Many, many of us don't. You're just hoping we will.

But the truth is, you have at least as good a chance of getting a mental "squick" from the significantly younger woman you're leering at. It just isn't always fun for us girls. Trust me.

It is what it is, it's not an insult any more than a man not wanting to date an older woman. But it IS a reality and I think guys need to wise up a bit about it. Of course, many do get that reality check when they're back out in the dating world.
Exactly. Sure there's nothing wrong with wanting to date 55+ men but I don't want to and a 55 year old man is still 13 years older than me. To me that is too large of a gap and no, I don't want to be pursued by these men online no matter what.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships