Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
15 years is plenty old enough to be her dad! Heck, he may have been biologically capable at 10.

And that is how women perceive men 10 or 15 years older -- as closer to, or part of, their parents' generation. Whether or not they are interested.
Fifteen years is in general a bit much for me. I mean at that point we're talking about a 60-year-old man. Totally different wavelengths and I'm sorry, but there's the physical factor too. Not saying it would be impossible to meet a wonderful man 15 years older with whom I truly clicked, it could happen. But in general? Not a group that is attractive to me, at my current age.

Five, six, seven-ish years would probably still be pretty much in the ballpark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 12:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Well harassment is a different issue entirely. That isn't acceptable regardless of age or sex.

Okay, well, this 40 year old has a 26 year old to go to brunch with now, so I'm going to go and leave you with your mistaken belief that it's all a lie. Have a good afternoon.
Well I know a 26 year old man who wants to date me but I'm taken so whatever. Besides, I'd go to brunch with an old man if he pays.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post

Okay, well, this 40 year old has a 26 year old to go to brunch with now, so I'm going to go and leave you with your mistaken belief that it's all a lie. Have a good afternoon.
I don't think that anybody said it's "all" a lie, just that it's far less common for a younger woman to find a significantly older man hot than society likes to tell men it is. Don't go all strawman on us here.

Good luck on your date and I hope you have a good time.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Fifteen years is in general a bit much for me. I mean at that point we're talking about a 60-year-old man. Totally different wavelengths and I'm sorry, but there's the physical factor too. Not saying it would be impossible to meet a wonderful man 15 years older with whom I truly clicked, it could happen. But in general? Not a group that is attractive to me, at my current age.

Five, six, seven-ish years would probably still be pretty much in the ballpark.
My boyfriend is 9 years older and even that at times seems too large. Luckily he is a young 51 who hasn't experienced much in life, otherwise we would have little in common. For me at 42 15 years is 57 and the idea of dating an average 57 year old makes my skin crawl.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I don't think that anybody said it's "all" a lie, just that it's far less common for a younger woman to find a significantly older man hot than society likes to tell men it is. Don't go all strawman on us here.

Good luck on your date and I hope you have a good time.
Exactly. We all know it does happen and I know a few cases off hand. However, generally speaking (at least the ones I know)the relationships started because they met in real life (one couple met at work)and realized they had a lot in common. I don't know many (if any)cases online where a man wanted a younger woman and got her unless they had something in common like a band or a science fiction show or something like that. Most women (at least the ones I know)can sense right away if we are being approached (online of offline)because of our looks, age etc or because of other things like personality, common interests. When I did online dating at a religious site all these old men would complain they couldn't find a woman and were on the site for YEARS while women their age would complain about them not contacting them because they were "too old". The result of course is the older women would leave the site bitter at not having found someone and the old men would be bitter (and alone)because young women didn't want them. It was actually quite funny.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
My boyfriend is 9 years older
Wait....So after post after post after post of you trying to convince us all that it's a "lie" that many women like older men, you tell us your boyfriend is 9 years older than you?

That is nothing short of hilarious.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Wait....So after post after post after post of you trying to convince us all that it's a "lie" that many women like older men, you tell us your boyfriend is 9 years older than you?

That is nothing short of hilarious.
Not to defend idon'tdateyou, but oh my goodness, are we STILL not catching on to the fact here that we're talking about significantly older men?

For heaven's sake, the OP himself states that he's talking about men "significantly older than" 10 years older and gives the example of men the woman's father's age.

What's hilarious is that people don't read the actual thread, then go off about something it doesn't even refer to.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:32 PM

9 years to me isn't what we are talking about and we met in real life. If we had met online then no I probably would have rejected him due to the age. He's also a young 51 (and dare I say it is very immature). If we break up I will definitely want a younger man. I've mentioned before he is 9 years older.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Not to defend idon'tdateyou, but oh my goodness, are we STILL not catching on to the fact here that we're talking about significantly older men?

For heaven's sake, the OP himself states that he's talking about men "significantly older than" 10 years older and gives the example of men the woman's father's age.

What's hilarious is that people don't read the actual thread, then go off about something it doesn't even refer to.
Yep. I mean when a 35 year old (my second time doing online)is approached by a 75 year old man online or offline I am approached by a man my dad's age then yes it disturbs me. Or when men 55+ (and usually closer to 60 and up)approached me online yes it was disturbing.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:56 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
For me, age gaps had to be smaller the younger I was. At 16, a 28 year old would have been legal to date me, but a 12 year age gap was way too much for me at that time. I wasn't nearly mature enough to handle that. At 20, I tried dating a guy 14 years older than me and that proved to be too much of an age gap for me. And I think he was dating me for the wrong reasons. When I was 25, a 14 year age gap wouldn't have been such a big deal. I matured a lot between 20 and 25. Some of my friend's matured with me and some didn't (this wasn't related to their single/LTR/married status in my opinion.)

At 32, I can't think of many men I'd be attracted to in their 50's. But maturity wise, the age gap between 30s and 50s isn't ridiculously large. As I age and mature, age differences aren't as big a deal for me. Intellectually and maturity wise, the difference doesn't seem so large.

Most people have a lot of maturing to do between 16-23 (and continue to mature throughout life hopefully). Even a 4 year difference between 16 years old and 20 years old makes a big difference. Whereas 20 and 28 doesn't make nearly as much difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships