Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The woman might be short, or overweight, or very plain looking. She hopes her youth would make up for these deficiencies in the eyes of an older guy like me.
Yes, that's my experience, too. I don't agree that it has anything to do with genes or having kids, but I notice that the young women dating older men IRL, as opposed to in movies and stuff, are usually not women who would be able to get dates their own age.

And neither are the men. The RL couples seem to mostly consist of two people who are frequently rejected, who have found each other.

And, you know, bully for them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
I am in my late 40s and still get hit on by women in their early 20s. I've been hit on by younger women all my life. Every year I thought it had got to be the last year younger women would be interested in me.. every year I was wrong..

However, it is not all wine and roses, as I can understand why young women would be interested in an older guy like me.

I am built like Johnny Depp, but somewhat more muscular. I look young for my age. I dress well because I have a very good paying job. And I have a totally irreverent sense of humor. I am musically talented. I am good looking too. As you can see, I won the genetic lottery.

However, the truth is that all the women who've shown interest in me for the last ten years have been lacking in some ways. I can only think that when they look at me, an older man who still looks young and in shape, they think of one thing - upgrading their genes for their children. The woman might be short, or overweight, or very plain looking. She hopes her youth would make up for these deficiencies in the eyes of an older guy like me.

For both men and women, it's really just a genetic and reproductive game. Men want younger women because they have more success in bearing children, women want older men because their genes are proven. Let's not kid ourselves, young women who are 9 and 10 have no reason to go for much older guys, and when an older guy hits on
a younger woman, unless the guy is very naive, the guy is probably thinking along the line that the woman is probably not that desirable to guys her own age and might be open to dating much older men. So for a young woman it is not necessarily flattering.

That is my take. It is brutal but I speak from experience and not speculation.
I think it's your humility that really makes women interested in you.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
LOL, I thought the same thing when I read that post......

Old 06-23-2013, 08:01 PM

6,732 posts, read 10,000,457 times
What does 'built like Johnnie Depp' even mean? Scrawny and skinny and like a junkie?

Johnnie Depp is super hawt, but it's not for his build, really. Well, I tend to go for skinny IRL, but I don't think that's why most women like him. The characters he plays, and his skill at doing so, is what it is.

Edward Scissorhands is so charming and sweet, and I liked his courage in the first Pirates, playing Capt Jack so swishy and faggy. It was like a slap in the face to traditional gender role stereotypes.

Which I kinda think that dude above would not go for .

Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,813,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
What does 'built like Johnnie Depp' even mean? Scrawny and skinny and like a junkie?

Johnnie Depp is super hawt, but it's not for his build, really. Well, I tend to go for skinny IRL, but I don't think that's why most women like him. The characters he plays, and his skill at doing so, is what it is.

Edward Scissorhands is so charming and sweet, and I liked his courage in the first Pirates, playing Capt Jack so swishy and faggy. It was like a slap in the face to traditional gender role stereotypes.

Which I kinda think that dude above would not go for .
What about when he played Ichabod Crane? He was hysterical!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,899,421 times
Quote:

However, the truth is that all the women who've shown interest in me for the last ten years have been lacking in some ways. I can only think that when they look at me, an older man who still looks young and in shape, they think of one thing - upgrading their genes for their children. The woman might be short, or overweight, or very plain looking. She hopes her youth would make up for these deficiencies in the eyes of an older guy like me.

For both men and women, it's really just a genetic and reproductive game. Men want younger women because they have more success in bearing children, women want older men because their genes are proven. Let's not kid ourselves, young women who are 9 and 10 have no reason to go for much older guys, and when an older guy hits on
a younger woman, unless the guy is very naive, the guy is probably thinking along the line that the woman is probably not that desirable to guys her own age and might be open to dating much older men. So for a young woman it is not necessarily flattering.

I don't understand what you mean women want older men because their genes are proven...what does that mean? Wouldn't the best expression of a man's genes be more evident in a twentysomething?

Old 06-23-2013, 08:23 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,604,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yes, that's my experience, too. I don't agree that it has anything to do with genes or having kids, but I notice that the young women dating older men IRL, as opposed to in movies and stuff, are usually not women who would be able to get dates their own age.

And neither are the men. The RL couples seem to mostly consist of two people who are frequently rejected, who have found each other.

And, you know, bully for them .
Personally, I'm attracted to women my own age as well as younger women, and I date women from both groups. The younger women I date certainly have the option of dating guys their age, but generally find them to be pretty immature. Having once been a 20-something guy myself, I certainly know what they mean! I was not relationship material at that age, either. It's no secret that women mature faster than men, on average.

While I enjoy dating women of various ages, one nice thing about dating younger ones for me is that any decisions regarding long-term relationships, marriage, and children can be made on a more natural, relaxed timeline. Women my age who still want to have children pretty much need to get going with that NOW. While I understand the biological realities that drive that for them, that's not the kind of pressured timeline I need in my life.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,006,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't think that's the case.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:27 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,405,624 times
Quote:
I am in my late 40s and still get hit on by women in their early 20s. I've been hit on by younger women all my life. Every year I thought it had got to be the last year younger women would be interested in me.. every year I was wrong..

However, it is not all wine and roses, as I can understand why young women would be interested in an older guy like me.

I am built like Johnny Depp, but somewhat more muscular. I look young for my age. I dress well because I have a very good paying job. And I have a totally irreverent sense of humor. I am musically talented. I am good looking too. As you can see, I won the genetic lottery.

I don't consider myself a "9 or 10", but in the case of the 45-50 year old teachers showing interest when I was 15, you're right, my peers weren't interested me as I stood 6'1". But I was often told (by both older females and males in a complimentary way) that I had a "woman's body". My take on it was that those teachers (aka older men) were thinking, but it wasn't with their brain.

When I got to college, I didn't have a problem meeting guys my age (as I was foretold by some teachers in high school), but that didn't stop older men from giving it a shot. I wasn't insulted. I just took it as they felt they had nothing to lose by flirting or giving it a try.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,898,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
In other words, it works for the same reasons that lots of other age-gap relationships, which are extremely common, work. Nice to see you finally acknowledge this.
We aren't talking 9 years difference, more like old enough to be my dad. However I didn't want him because he was older, nor did he want me because I am younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships