Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times

Advertisements

yes and it is those experiences (when I was very young of course) that shaped my view of some men.

I think that a grown man (young, middle aged, old and everywhere in between) should be able to look at a young lady or a grown woman with an appreciation for their youth, their vitality, and their beauty without leering at them. From a woman's point of view it does not feel good and it was certainly very unappreciated and sometimes quite humiliating. I remember as a young lady (puberty to teenager on up) and having men look at me and that is how and when I came to learn what the intentions (more likely their fantasies or dreams) of some men were all about.

It takes away from a woman's self esteem and sense of worth and as they get older it may also color a woman's sense of self esteem and sense of worth in that they may become jaded in the belief that their only value is in their looks and their body and the pleasure it can provide to a man.

Yes, those recollections were brought back to me by this thread.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
I think this happens more frequently and with greater success in the over-40 age group where people seem to be more tolerant of age differences. Doesn't matter who approaches who.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
older women arent immune to this- maybe its different- ive had many older ladies thru the years,,,be quite suggestive,,,even grab my arms-butt,,whisper in my ear--- i laughed most of them off,,,and thought,,if this older lady gets a cheap thrill,,from putting her arm around me,,, then so what...but i do think its different,,,at no time did i feel threatened..
Until she she reached in your back pocket!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I don't know if I should feel good for not attracting "creep-o" older men or bad & not attractive enough to get that kind of attention at all. Seriously, you guys got HARASSED by older men, like on a regular basis?
It's possible you don't recognise what they are doing.

Older guys, IME, usually start with what appears to be normal friendliness. Then they take returned normal, generic friendliness as interest on your part.

This is also what they mean when they say that younger women are always coming on to THEM -- they mean that, for example, waitresses smile and tell them to have a good day. Or that women their daughters' age talk to them in a sociable way. (What's really going on, of course, is that these younger women feel sure such an old dude could never misinterpret and think they are attracted to him, so they think it's ok to put down the burden of having to be distant and unfriendly all the time. And the waitresses, they are just doing their job.)

Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
Haven't read the thread, but yes... I primarily get men 10-20 years older then me (and some even older..) flirting/hitting on me. It has actually been this way even when I was in my 20's. There was a particularly creepy set of men over 50 who would be really inappropriate when I was very young and it was really disgusting.... It's enough to turn you off men, as you start to think men only deteriorate with age.

But now, most of the time it is pretty benign.... just staring and a comment. The older they are, the more they say, and sometimes the more disinhibited they become. Throw in a little age related early dementia.... what a great combo.....

Often when I am taking my father out for appointments, dinner etc... people will presume he is my partner. At first I laughed it off, assuming they were just trying to "flatter" my elderly father. Now I realize they are not, and I go back and forth between feeling insulted and feeling sad.... It has actually been problematic, as I have been eager to expand my father's social circle of male friends, but it is causing many problems as I learn how many dirty old men are out there.

It definitely only gets easier for men as they get older. They feel like they have the entire age spectrum of women open to them, and maybe they do. But honestly, in what world does a 70 year man think they should be asking out a 40 year old woman?!? Unfortunately, this one....

Old 06-22-2013, 03:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
older women arent immune to this- maybe its different- ive had many older ladies thru the years,,,be quite suggestive,,,even grab my arms-butt,,whisper in my ear--- i laughed most of them off,,,and thought,,if this older lady gets a cheap thrill,,from putting her arm around me,,, then so what...but i do think its different,,,at no time did i feel threatened..
What the hell is wrong with people? Seriously.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:34 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
I don't feel threatened by the old guys, now. It was different when I was a kid. Now I just feel like, 'Gerroff me, old perv!'

Old 06-22-2013, 03:56 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,467,349 times
It happens to men too, at least sometimes. I've been pounced by cougars, and by cubs. I try to be nice, but I'm almost never interested. It's not easy being catnip. I have made a few good friends this way, though.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:15 PM

39,217 posts, read 27,582,466 times
I always liked older men, but not OLD men. eeeww.

My girlfriend's fantasy man is 45 years old, tall, dark, handsome. She is 28 years old just like me.

This is her fantasy man

Old 06-22-2013, 11:43 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,889,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Haven't read the thread, but yes... I primarily get men 10-20 years older then me (and some even older..) flirting/hitting on me. It has actually been this way even when I was in my 20's. There was a particularly creepy set of men over 50 who would be really inappropriate when I was very young and it was really disgusting.... It's enough to turn you off men, as you start to think men only deteriorate with age.

But now, most of the time it is pretty benign.... just staring and a comment. The older they are, the more they say, and sometimes the more disinhibited they become. Throw in a little age related early dementia.... what a great combo.....

Often when I am taking my father out for appointments, dinner etc... people will presume he is my partner. At first I laughed it off, assuming they were just trying to "flatter" my elderly father. Now I realize they are not, and I go back and forth between feeling insulted and feeling sad.... It has actually been problematic, as I have been eager to expand my father's social circle of male friends, but it is causing many problems as I learn how many dirty old men are out there.

It definitely only gets easier for men as they get older. They feel like they have the entire age spectrum of women open to them, and maybe they do. But honestly, in what world does a 70 year man think they should be asking out a 40 year old woman?!? Unfortunately, this one....
Ugh, this is why I HATED online and would rather die a spinster instead of ever trying online again if I find myself single again. I am 42, decent shape and decent looks but the amount of 60+ men who asked me out versus men say 35-50 was overwhelmingly. There were a lot of men in my age range online, I contacted a few but most never responded back. Yet the amount of these creepy perverted older men who contacted me was ridiculous and they were the most annoying because they wouldn't take no for an answer. What am I going to have in common with a 70 year old? The men in my age range seemed to all want 18-35 and the men "willing" to date women my age were all over 55 it seems. When I would tell them they were too old they would claim "age is just a number" or that all their ex girlfriends were even younger than me but they'll give me a chance. Gee, thanks a lot old geezer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships