Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 09:25 PM

5,201 posts, read 4,517,221 times

Advertisements

The way the OP handled the situation was cruel. There's no reason to humiliate someone because they're not what you were expecting.

A better way to handle the situation would have been to talk to her pleasantly for a bit, and then make up an excuse to get away. It would have spared her feelings, and it wouldn't have taken much time. No need for looking her up and down and dismissing her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 09:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,927,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
Didn't you lie about your age on dating sites?
Yes but that was only because men my age ignored me because of my age. However that was a short term experiment and when I was serious about meeting someone I put my real age.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:28 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,684,619 times
BUT SHE LIED!!! SHE'S A LIAR!!!

This is all the OP and others like him can focus on. But you can't talk about someone's dishonesty without also looking at their intent. A used car salesman will lie about the car he's selling you cause he just wants your money. He doesn't care if you feel like an idiot after you discover you bought a pile of junk. He doesn't care that the money you spent on the car could've been better spent on something else. He feels no qualms about ripping you. But does anyone think the woman who lied to the OP had such malicious intent? This is not the same as lying about being unmarried or lying about whether you have an STD. Those people I can't feel sorry for because they clearly don't care about anyone but themselves. But the woman who lies about her age or weight, the man who lies about his height? These people, for the most part, aren't out to ********* over. They're just afraid of rejection. Does that excuse their dishonesty? Of course not. But it does mean they deserve to be treated better than the guy who sold you a pile of junk.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
I like you most of the time but it's not for you to say whether you have class, because class is in the eye of the beholder, like beauty, stupidity, whatever.

I'm a musician and for a brief time, I tried to work with a woman who frequently referred to herself as a "consummate professional."

She didn't know how to throw a solo, take a cue and her time was that of a five year old. She stepped on solos and then stopped singing without throwing a solo to someone. She was as much as "consummate professional," as I am a kid person. She was a glorified karaoke singer, at best.

I see she's trying to find musicians (Craigslist reveals all) and not having much success. No surprise.

If you're classy, you don't say so, you allow people to observe and decide for themselves.
That comment was in reference to another poster who called me trashy or rather low class. I've gotten into it with that person because I refused to date dads and they thought I was wrong in that.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Nah, he deemed her 'unattractive' so she apparently isn't worthy of basic courtesy.

Unfortunately, that's the way it works with many people and it's really sad. It's also sad that he's blaming it on her 'lying' when it's clearly not about that.
Exactly. The lying is a convenient excuse. If she had turned out to be a 6' tall supermodel, I doubt you'd hear him complaining about her being a liar.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Yeah sure you do

Yes she does, then comes here showing off about being mean to the poor guys she dupes.

Disgusting behaviour. No wonder she's defending the OP, they're like 2 rotten little peas in a pod.

The point is, in life people dupe you and take advantage of you and do manner of things we don't like. It is a show of character how you deal with crap. Some people are gracious and understand that no-one is perfect and people hope you'll like them despite their faults and foibles. If you choose to be a douche about other people then eventually it'll bite you on the ass in some way or another.
But I didn't meet the guys I lied to. Besides if a 50 year old man is seeking younger and I pretend to be younger, he's the idiot for being delusional about wanting younger.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
But I didn't meet the guys I lied to.
So? The OP is upset is upset because his time was wasted. He claims that even staying for 5 minutes was too much. So even if you didn't meet the men you lied to, you still wasted their time. Time is time, whether it's time spent in a bar or time spent in front of a computer writing emails.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Well if I wasted their time maybe they need to stop seeking much younger. Doesn't matter since I don't do online.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,266,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Exactly. The lying is a convenient excuse. If she had turned out to be a 6' tall supermodel, I doubt you'd hear him complaining about her being a liar.
AMEN! I think you nailed it here. If she was skinnier than the photo, there would be no complaint - the lie wouldn't even be an issue.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:59 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,593,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was completely appalled at reading the OP. I mean, I've been around here for a while now and we've all heard some doozies, but damn......... I couldn't imagine that poor woman and how she must have felt.

No one deserves that, yeah, she was a few pounds over weight and had a really really 2 yr old pic of herself

I don't get the sense that the woman was out with nefarious intentions and was just seeing how bad she could lie and **** people off.... I don't believe most normal adults act like that.

So, taking away the intentional deception portion, why treat someone so crappy???
This. I read all sorts of crap online and largely it doesn't really bother me...but this dreck of a post I find particularly repugnant, which I am sure is its purpose. Maybe it's because I DO have daughters...two of them. Who deserve courtesy and respect as human beings regardless of appearance. In this appearance obsessed world, where people like the OP feel unattractive people don't even deserve an iota of their time or courtesy, no wonder girls and women have to resort to posting "false" pictures. It's not like they would get any sort of respect if they didn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships