Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:17 PM

432 posts, read 491,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That is a flag in itself right there. Why not?
You think so? I dunno, it's kinda just how the cards have fallen. I'm in my mid 30s , I don't have a lot of friends in general. I moved away and back again, people are busy with their careers or are doing the married/couple/family thing. I hang with who I get along with and who gets along with me, and that's a pretty diverse group anyway: different ages, races, backgrounds, interests. It's not for the lack of being dynamic and open minded on my part. That's for sure. I mean, I live in Phoenix and have no Latino friends here either (statistically I should, right?), but I do back in Portland. I chalk it up to randomization in small samplings.

I mean, what makes a guy friend material to women or not? To me, they're just people and I treat them as such. I've considered all my past relationships as friendships as well, and they've functioned that way. So, what reason do they have to avoid me as one? I dunno, I'm kind of with the last poster on this: Historically they've either wanted to date me / get in my pants, or really didn't make the effort to do establish anything platonic.

Last edited by variant; 01-31-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant View Post
You think so? I dunno, it's kinda just how the cards have fallen. I'm in my mid 30s , I don't have a lot of friends in general. I moved away and back again, people are busy with their careers or are doing the married/couple/family thing. I hang with who I get along with and who gets along with me, and that's a pretty diverse group anyway: different ages, races, backgrounds, interests. It's not for the lack of being dynamic and open minded on my part. That's for sure. I mean, I live in Phoenix and have no Latino friends here either (statistically I should, right?), but I do back in Portland. I chalk it up to randomization in small samplings.

I mean, what makes a guy friend material to women or not? To me, they're just people and I treat them as such. I've considered all my past relationships as friendships as well, and they've functioned that way. So, what reason do they have to avoid me as one? I dunno, I'm kind of with the last poster on this: Historically they've either wanted to date me / get in my pants, or really didn't make the effort to do establish anything platonic.
My experience with platonic relationships with women have been similar to yours, Variant, at least after high school. In high school you were constantly around people and making friends was easy. Heck, one would have to try not to have friends, at least at my small high school.

After school though I found, like you said, that either the women I knew were involved with me romantically or they were merely acquaintances. I don't think I have made one close female friend in several years, which is a shame. Usually what happens is I meet a girl at a bar, or an activity, or at one of my classes, and she'll seem like a cool person and a potential friend, but it never goes beyond pleasantries, and you will rarely see her outside that specific social context. You talk about shared hobbies, interests, background and so on, but it will never get to the point where you could, for example, call her up and chat for the sake of chatting or relate a problem. It will always be cordial, but never intimate. And if one tries to make the friendship deeper (but not romantic) she'll assume you're trying to get in her pants, and poof, it's over. The only times I've found this not to be true is if I'm friends with her boyfriend or relative, and in that way we hang out, go to dinners or shows, and so on.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM

543 posts, read 534,296 times
Quote:
Well, it can't hurt to have your good female friends critique it for starters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
No, I am not a guy, but I stand by my position. If no one ever replies to you, then there is something off putting about your profile. Ask some of your female friends to look at it and give you feedback.
Brilliant. Assuming you have female friends.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:59 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
Wait some people have received online dating messages that made them cry? What on earth were the contents of such messages?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Wait some people have received online dating messages that made them cry? What on earth were the contents of such messages?
The collected musical works of Miley Cyrus.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM

541 posts, read 861,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I think that OLD sites are a haven for a lot of broken people hoping that they'll find the "perfect" person who'll make their life feel a little more worth-while.
I agree, that's what my experience has been as well. Married men who are "experimenting" yet their profile doesn't state they're married (lying already?). Men who just act odd and strange in responding right from the start that makes me feel uneasy. Men who seem okay, but just got out of a relationship and not sure what they want for us (so I should hang on until they get around to figuring that out?). And then there's the weirdos...

Old 01-31-2014, 07:37 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead4 View Post
Brilliant. Assuming you have female friends.

It's really hard for me to imagine not having friends, and if you have a few, some are almost certainly sure to be female. Heck, ex girlfriends that are friends would do fine for this too. They might even be better.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM

543 posts, read 534,296 times
Quote:
It's really hard for me to imagine not having friends, and if you have a few, some are almost certainly sure to be female. Heck, ex girlfriends that are friends would do fine for this too. They might even be better.
Nope.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
I've had random men I had never spoken to who called me ugly, stupid and other words. I've had several men tell me I was hot but too old for them (most of them my age or older). I've had people threaten me for no reason.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:09 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
Which ones are free?
Datehookup.com is one that I know of, and I'm still on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships