Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,300,789 times

Advertisements

I like a man that takes control, not controlling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 AM

14 posts, read 17,068 times
They like a man who takes charge. There's a difference. Think of the difference between a woman getting pushed into things as opposed to following your lead because you're confident and seem to know what you're doing. A woman should never be resentful about it like they would if you were "controlling". Make sure they are aware they are free to disagree with you whenever they want, it's guaranteed you'll talk it over with an open mind and respect their choice in the end. That's my experience at least.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:09 AM

326 posts, read 409,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Define in control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleStyle View Post
They like a man who takes charge. There's a difference. Think of the difference between a woman getting pushed into things as opposed to following your lead because you're confident and seem to know what you're doing.
That was what I meant by "in control" I will follow the lead of a man who has my respect. It's a big turn off when a man is indecisive and can't take charge.

For example when my boss sees that I am having difficulty with a situation at work he would say "Don't worry, I'll take care of it". He knows exactly when to step in. It's no wonder more than half of the female population at work find him attractive. lol.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,368,524 times
Quote:
Simple question.

By controlling, I don't mean abusive or anything sick like that.

But say you were planning to hang out at a bar with four male coworkers after work and your boyfriend told you no way. Do you find that attractive? Is it considered assertive in a good way? Or do you look at it as a lack of trust or low confidence on his part?

I've been told by some women that they find it cute when their boyfriend gets jealous or acts protective. Where is the line drawn?

And furthermore, between these two choices, do you like it more when a man is controlling or when you are in control?

I ask because a guy I know once got dumped for being OK with his girlfriend hanging out with a former fwb. She thought he was a wimp more than she cared for him being trusting. She wasn't happy that he didn't put up an effort to stop it and took it as a sign of weakness.

That would happen exactly once and as soon as those words came out of his mouth he would be an EX boyfriend.
No one tells me who I can have a few beers with, I control myself and no one else.

As far as your friend being dumped, he should consider himself lucky for getting tossed to the side of the road by a wing nut without threads.
She didn't want a boyfriend, she wanted a parental substitute to tell her what to do.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:33 AM

288 posts, read 256,130 times
I've had controlling, and if a guy started to tell me what I can and can't do, I would ask if he sees the door and he's welcome to use it.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:59 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,697,346 times
Quote:
Simple question.

By controlling, I don't mean abusive or anything sick like that.

But say you were planning to hang out at a bar with four male coworkers after work and your boyfriend told you no way. Do you find that attractive? Is it considered assertive in a good way? Or do you look at it as a lack of trust or low confidence on his part?

I've been told by some women that they find it cute when their boyfriend gets jealous or acts protective. Where is the line drawn?

And furthermore, between these two choices, do you like it more when a man is controlling or when you are in control?

I ask because a guy I know once got dumped for being OK with his girlfriend hanging out with a former fwb. She thought he was a wimp more than she cared for him being trusting. She wasn't happy that he didn't put up an effort to stop it and took it as a sign of weakness.
Yes.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,214,482 times
A man will have more success with women being seen as "controlling" than passive or not being to take charge

Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,762,388 times
No. Not only is it unattractive it has the potential to deteriorate into being dangerous.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:34 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,762,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
I'm prepared to get jumped by the women on here BUTTT...

Women are some strange creatures. I've found they often say that they don't like a type of guy, but they end up being attracted to the guys they say they hate.
Oh really...and you know every single woman in the world to make this gross generalisation?

Quote:
Women don't want an overly controlling guy but they do want a guy who's not afraid to take charge and tell her what he wants, and this is coming from a number of women who've told me this AND those that have tried to test me themselves.
Stop dating dumb woman who 'test' you.

Quote:
Women are smarter than men and they sometimes will play us like chess pieces. Alot of times, they'll say they want to do something that they know we're opposed to just to get a rise out of us. Alot of time, it's a test to see how far she can go. If she knows that she can push those limits, she will ultimately lose respect and interest.
Newsflash, most mature adults don't play anyone like chess pieces. Again, try dating adults instead of teenagers.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:52 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,353,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Oh really...and you know every single woman in the world to make this gross generalisation?

Stop dating dumb woman who 'test' you.

Newsflash, most mature adults don't play anyone like chess pieces. Again, try dating adults instead of teenagers.
Women test unconsciously. It's in their natures to make sure the man they are with is suitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships