Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:58 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,749,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
No. I would not find it remotely attractive if a man thought he could tell me where to go and with whom. In fact, I'd tell him to jump off a cliff. It's a sign of insecurity, and it is unbecoming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That would happen exactly once and as soon as those words came out of his mouth he would be an EX boyfriend.
No one tells me who I can have a few beers with, I control myself and no one else.

As far as your friend being dumped, he should consider himself lucky for getting tossed to the side of the road by a wing nut without threads.
She didn't want a boyfriend, she wanted a parental substitute to tell her what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
No. Not only is it unattractive it has the potential to deteriorate into being dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
No. Makes him sound like my boss or master rather than a lover.
Yes to all of the above.

For 18 years, I lived with a man who told me what to do and when to do it. That reminds me, I need to buy him a Father's Day gift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,231,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
But say you were planning to hang out at a bar with four male coworkers after work and your boyfriend told you no way.
Am going to go against the general tone of most replies in this thread and say that I am with the boyfriend in this situation. He is not being controlling or insecure, he is being assertive and protective, and yes, a bit jealous, perhaps with good reason. There might be a red flag fluttering. There have been several threads on the "Just friends" topic, with hundreds of posts, so no need to repeat a lot, but myself and many others feel that it is playing with fire. Why does she prefer to be with four men she sees all day rather than with her boyfriend? Is there one of the men that she has romantic feelings for? After a few drinks inhibitions loosen, and then?? Men are possessive of women they care for, and defend them from other men. This has been their nature forever, and is not going to change.

Last edited by BlackShoe; 06-06-2014 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 12:26 PM

48,575 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Am going to go against the general tone of most replies in this thread and say that I am with the boyfriend in this situation. He is not being controlling or insecure, he is being assertive and protective, and yes, a bit jealous, perhaps with good reason. There might be a red flag fluttering. There have been several threads on the "Just friends" topic, with hundreds of posts, so no need to repeat a lot, but myself and many others feel that is is playing with fire. Why does she prefer to be with four men she sees all day rather than with her boyfriend? Is there one of the men that she has romantic feelings for? After a few drinks inhibitions loosen, and then?? Men are possessive of women they care for, and defend them from other men. This has been their nature forever, and is not going to change.

Oh no. I don't need to be protected from other men, and if my husband thought he had to active doing that he would divorce me. It's not that I'm not flirted with and asked out by guys, but it's MY job to keep them off.

My husband would never tell me NOT to go do something. If he told me something made him uncomfortable I would respect that and not do it. He's a reasonable man and I respect him.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-06-2014, 01:25 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Quote:

But say you were planning to hang out at a bar with four male coworkers after work and your boyfriend told you no way.
I would stay out twice as long as I had originally planned just because.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:29 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,033,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Excellent!

If you don't trust a person, you shouldn't be dating them.

And if a person want to cheat, they'll cheat no matter how much you try to control or monitor them.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:32 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,360,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
COme to think of it, it would depend on how he says it.

What if the boyfriend said.

No way!!! Really? That's awesome!!!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Simple question.
Uh, NO.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,024,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Am going to go against the general tone of most replies in this thread and say that I am with the boyfriend in this situation. He is not being controlling or insecure, he is being assertive and protective, and yes, a bit jealous, perhaps with good reason. There might be a red flag fluttering. There have been several threads on the "Just friends" topic, with hundreds of posts, so no need to repeat a lot, but myself and many others feel that it is playing with fire. Why does she prefer to be with four men she sees all day rather than with her boyfriend? Is there one of the men that she has romantic feelings for? After a few drinks inhibitions loosen, and then?? Men are possessive of women they care for, and defend them from other men. This has been their nature forever, and is not going to change.
Here is a plausible scenario: What if she works with these four men and the group completed a project at work and went out to celebrate? Are you really going to tell your girlfriend she can't celebrate with her co-workers? Is your insecurity such that you are willing she is the only one NOT celebrating?

Don't get me wrong, there are scenarios I'd frown on if I knew my wife were wanting to do. Thankfully I don't have to deal with them because my wife doesn't put herself in such situations. Also, the rule is mutual. I just don't hang out with girls any more. All the friends I have who are women are friends of my wife. A little common sense and mutual respect can really go a long way.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Here is a plausible scenario: What if she works with these four men and the group completed a project at work and went out to celebrate? Are you really going to tell your girlfriend she can't celebrate with her co-workers? Is your insecurity such that you are willing she is the only one NOT celebrating?

Don't get me wrong, there are scenarios I'd frown on if I knew my wife were wanting to do. Thankfully I don't have to deal with them because my wife doesn't put herself in such situations. Also, the rule is mutual. I just don't hang out with girls any more. All the friends I have who are women are friends of my wife. A little common sense and mutual respect can really go a long way.

I hang out with my male coworkers on occasion after work (i work with 100 guys and 4 older women). I don't let anybody tell me I can't do that.

Bf could join and we all have fun - I have nothing to hide. But if he just shows up to make sure I am not cheating, we have an issue.

I won't let my bf pressure me into starting to going to babyshowers and book clubs like other women - I like cars and bikes and if there is mostly guys at these events, oh well. See it from the good side - I will listen to your car and bike talk and enjoy it!

Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,451,267 times
Can't relate. My husband won't even ask me not to leave him when I left him twice in our marriage, LOL. He always say 'you do whatever you want'.

Okay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships