Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:50 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,797,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most? Not on this thread. It's about 50/50 on this thread.
No it's not. The general consensus (if there was one) is that "men should do the planning/paying initially for a few dates THEN it becomes 50/50 once both are committed to going further"

Old 06-18-2014, 01:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Imagine dating women who have to prove a man is not just after sex as many say. Yes. Superficial men/women are out there.
That's what dating is for. The funny part is that being a courteous person who doesn't have a jaundiced view of women will really help in that department. Not wanting to spend an extra penny or be otherwise inconvenienced is going to make a lot of women suspect you're only in it for yourself.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not wanting to spend an extra penny or be otherwise inconvenienced is going to make a lot of women suspect you're only in it for yourself.
That's right. A woman or a man not wanting to put that effort will be seen that way.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:55 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
No it's not. The general consensus (if there was one) is that "men should do the planning/paying initially for a few dates THEN it becomes 50/50 once both are committed to going further"
idk. I listed about 1/2-dozen posters just off the top of my head, who said it doesn't have to be about money, and there are other ways for a guy to signal his interest. That's gotta be pretty close to 1/2 the female respondents here.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
That's right. A woman or a man not wanting to put that effort will be seen that way.
You do remember that I've said women should reciprocate ... let's see, what are we up to? 258 times?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
idk. I listed about 1/2-dozen posters just off the top of my head, who said it doesn't have to be about money, and there are other ways for a guy to signal his interest. That's gotta be pretty close to 1/2 the female respondents here.
Its not about money...as long as he doesn't use coupons, doesn't take her to a chain restaurant, doesn't go for ice cream, etc.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You do remember that I've said women should reciprocate ... let's see, what are we up to? 258 times?
You do remember after countless times it has been said here that that would happen "after a while, after things look steady, after he is seen worthy, etc.", right? Why wait to be nice until then but expect men to be nice right off the bat? I am all for being nice with women but I don't get why women have to put "being nice" on hold.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You do remember after countless times it has been said here that that would happen "after a while, after things look steady, after he is seen worthy, etc.", right? Why wait to be nice until then but expect men to be nice right off the bat? I am all for being nice with women but I don't get why women have to put "being nice" on hold.
Dunno. I've always said not to date people who don't seem courteous and not to spend big money on early dates. You like to talk about showering the woman with flowers/jewelry/gifts/vacations, not me.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
The point of the thread isn't about what men should or shouldn't do or should or shouldn't pay for... the question is, if a guy never offers to pay for a date/never treats you to a date, does he not like you much?" It's not about what the man should or shouldn't do, it's what it means when he does or doesn't do something.

It a man never offers to pay, some people have said it means he sees you as a friend. Some people say it means he's not really interested in dating you, some people said some things about such men being cheap, and some people said it means nothing.

I guess we should turn the question around. If you, as a man, are having a great time with a woman on a first date and you are really into her and want to see her again. She offers to split the bill with you--do you politely decline and pay for it? What if you are on a first date with a woman who is a complete bore to you, you never want to see her again... she offers to split the bill, do you take her up on it? Are you more likely to pay for the date for the woman you want to keep seeing? Are you more likely to split a bill with a woman you don't want to see again?

I contend (though my experience) most men who want to see me again, pay the bill--even though I always offer to split or even pay it all myself. Why? Because they are always the ones who ask me out again. Every guy that's ever agreed to going dutch or me paying, never wanted to out with me again. And that's fine (I rather split the bill in those cases).

Old 06-18-2014, 02:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
That's fine, but you're in the minority. Most women think money=love. One step above prostitution if you ask me.
Where did you meet these women? The Jerry Springer Show?

Quote:
Is this thread even about a guy who NEVER PAYS anymore? It just seems like a rehash of the other thread, where despite a bunch of women's saying that they are willing to take turns treating or do other things to show courtesy and appreciation, we're still called golddigging prostitutes.
Can you imagine dating a guy where you have to prove you're not a mooch, because that's his default assumption? Barf.
Too much mental energy, I'd rather focus on having fun: free, cheap or otherwise.

Quote:
Its not about money...as long as he doesn't use coupons, doesn't take her to a chain restaurant, doesn't go for ice cream, etc.
If a guy takes me to a chain restaurant it is a pretty good sign he has spent zero time listening to what I've told him about myself. It's a bad fit. I don't think I know many people, women or otherwise who would balk at an ice cream date. Really, just the Paleo people. For everyone else it sounds like a fun time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships