Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times

Advertisements

As a guy, I totally understand you safety concerns, but I see minx's point. It's good for me to read this getting back out there soon. When I met my wife many years ago I picked her up at her house and she even invited me over on the 3rd date.

Come to think of it, it's good to meet at a place that way if either party doesn't click with the other they can leave on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 06:02 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,214,087 times
You should have said "pick my butt, sucker" and hung up .

Old 11-01-2014, 06:26 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I was set up with this guy through a mutual friend. By the second date, he was asking to pick me up at my place. I said no, I'm not comfortable with that, I'd rather meet you out. He seemed a little baffled by that, but stayed quiet about it.

Move onto the third date and he is basically insisting that he pick me up at my place. Again, I said no, I am still getting to know you and I'd prefer to meet you out. Instead of just accepting that that was my comfort level, he got very defensive and started to push back. This was the final nail in the coffin. There will be no fourth date.

Guys, if a woman isn't comfortable with something, just let it be. If you really care about someone, you don't want them to feel uncomfortable or pushed into something they don't want to do. Respect a woman's boundaries. Don't take it personally and get defensive and make it all about you.
Hey for me it's better if I don't have to do the "pick up" thing. A girl I dated recently told me to meet her at the local movieplex and I was fine with it. If she ask me to pick her up I can do that as well.

It's good to know that being okay with whatever decision she makes is not "underrated".

Your guy OP was a "stalker" in progress.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:38 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
Your guy OP was a "stalker" in progress.
I agree. He has had amazing career success, but it seemed like he applies his business-mind to his relationships. As in, "If I want it, I'm going to get it". That works fine for business, but you can't treat people like that. Emotions and individuality have to be respected. People aren't pawns to move around your own personal chess board.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:56 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Quote:
Move onto the third date and he is basically insisting that he pick me up at my place. Again, I said no, I am still getting to know you and I'd prefer to meet you out. Instead of just accepting that that was my comfort level, he got very defensive and started to push back. This was the final nail in the coffin. There will be no fourth date.
Good. If he was getting that upset about something that silly, I'd hate to see how he deals with actual problems. Consider yourself lucky he showed his hand early so you could move on before you were in too far.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:02 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
The fact that you don't want to get picked up at your place doesn't bother me, it's the insecurity that does. As a man it would definitely make me go elsewhere. I'm not saying that it's a definite thing, but it's something.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
The fact that you don't want to get picked up at your place doesn't bother me, it's the insecurity that does. As a man it would definitely make me go elsewhere. I'm not saying that it's a definite thing, but it's something.
What do you mean by insecurity? My insecurity/lack of trust in him?

Old 11-01-2014, 08:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
If I'm okay with going out with somebody more than a couple of times, I'm generally okay with him knowing my address. If I feel skeptical about wanting him to know where I live, I'm sure as hell not going out with him more than that one time.

But, that's with me taking the initiative to invite somebody to pick me up at my place. Pressuring somebody to divulge where they live if they're not offering that information themselves is just poor form.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
He probably thought that you might be trying to hide something,,,,,,,like a husband or kids.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
Quote:
What do you mean by insecurity? My insecurity/lack of trust in him?
Yes, which may be a sign that maybe you do not trust him, in which case you should let him know it isn't working out. After the first date you should have a better understanding of the individual. IF you aren't comfortable letting him know that knowledge then perhaps it's best to part ways. I like dating people I feel comfortable with, especially after the first date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships