Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 09:53 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
For me, there is an age factor.

A guy in his teens who does not understand enough about women's intelligent reactions to safety issues in society, well, he is just young and doesn't know yet.

But a guy who is 30 or above and doesn't get this stuff -- either he has never had a close female friend, lover, or relative, or he has some political point to prove, or he has control issues. None of which are things I want to get involved with. I just want to have fun .
Good point. This is true for many dating issues across all genders. Most of us are pretty clueless about dating in our teens and even early 20's, but with practice we hopefully figure some of these things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 10:09 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,671 times
Quote:
But a guy who is 30 or above and doesn't get this stuff -- either he has never had a close female friend, lover, or relative, or he has some political point to prove, or he has control issues. None of which are things I want to get involved with. I just want to have fun .
I think it was control issues in his case. I think that he was trying to "win" me (as he "wins" in business) and part of that "winning" was being the knight in shining armor and coming to pick me up in his fancy car at my house.

When I wouldn't let him, I took away from his image of himself as "winner". I honestly feel that's what it was. Which is when I sensed, wow, this isn't about ME at all. It's all about him. He doesn't actually care what I want!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:19 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I think it was control issues in his case.
That was my thought, too. In a way that's worse, really. If it was just a matter of him not "getting it" he could learn it and be better, but if it's a personality issue (as it appears to be), it's not likely to change.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,998,293 times
Quote:
I think it was control issues in his case. I think that he was trying to "win" me (as he "wins" in business) and part of that "winning" was being the knight in shining armor and coming to pick me up in his fancy car at my house.

When I wouldn't let him, I took away from his image of himself as "winner". I honestly feel that's what it was. Which is when I sensed, wow, this isn't about ME at all. It's all about him. He doesn't actually care what I want!
Sorry to hear it.

Dating is so much more fun when it's about two people who really like each other, and want to get to know each other, not one person trying to act out some internal psychodrama and using you as a prop.

Sex is, too.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Dating is so much more fun when it's about two people who really like each other, and want to get to know each other, not one person trying to act out some internal psychodrama and using you as a prop.

Sex is, too.
Well said.

It was the "him" show. And I was the next trophy (object) to be won. Not happening.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:20 AM

832 posts, read 1,418,111 times
OP, I understand your point about comfort levels and respecting boundaries. But it sounds like he just wasn't your type to begin with and ditching him for this reason seems to be a farce to avoid telling him why you don't like him. If you weren't affronted by his "board room" take on dating, wouldn't you have just said something to him like, "I'm not your subordinate, take it down a notch." and give him a chance to reassess his behaviors? You have no obligation to do that of course, but the bottom line seems to be that you just don't like him. Which is great. It only took 3 dates to realize it and you're moving on.

To some of the others... I've never seen so many "adults" convinced the world is full of stalker men as there seem to be on C-D. What a horribly depressing way of thinking.

He knows your name, he knows your friends and he's been on three dates with you so he's got a ton of personal information on your that you didn't even think twice about sharing. He knows where you work, what you do, probably your college and major, pets, food preferences, he's already likely seen your facebook page or another social media page, and he knows your general age.

As a casual net jockey, trust me when I tell you the information he already has is more than enough to track you down, if he was so inclined. You're not that interesting. He's just pushy. (And when I say "you" I'm referring to the "OMG!!! He wants to STALK ME!!" people. Not the OP.)

Old 11-02-2014, 06:37 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
By what date would you be comfortable with it?

I feel the same way you do for the first couple of dates, but if I don't trust a guy by the 3rd date, I shouldn't be dating him.
I've seen that show Who The Bleep Did I Marry? enough times to realize there are some people you never really know and that it's best to keep your distance while you figure out who they are and then stay away. Good going, Stava, I totally agree.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
OP, I understand your point about comfort levels and respecting boundaries. But it sounds like he just wasn't your type to begin with and ditching him for this reason seems to be a farce to avoid telling him why you don't like him. If you weren't affronted by his "board room" take on dating, wouldn't you have just said something to him like, "I'm not your subordinate, take it down a notch." and give him a chance to reassess his behaviors? You have no obligation to do that of course, but the bottom line seems to be that you just don't like him. Which is great. It only took 3 dates to realize it and you're moving on.

To some of the others... I've never seen so many "adults" convinced the world is full of stalker men as there seem to be on C-D. What a horribly depressing way of thinking.

He knows your name, he knows your friends and he's been on three dates with you so he's got a ton of personal information on your that you didn't even think twice about sharing. He knows where you work, what you do, probably your college and major, pets, food preferences, he's already likely seen your facebook page or another social media page, and he knows your general age.

As a casual net jockey, trust me when I tell you the information he already has is more than enough to track you down, if he was so inclined. You're not that interesting. He's just pushy. (And when I say "you" I'm referring to the "OMG!!! He wants to STALK ME!!" people. Not the OP.)
It's not a farce. Like I mentioned before, I was having reservations about him but this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

As far as stalking, you truly don't know what a person is capable of. Like the "Who the Bleep Did I Marry?" comment above mine, you never know who someone really is. I personally err on the side of caution all the time. As a woman, you have to.

Also, it may not be that he stalks you. It may be that he is just trying to get you alone, get you to his house, etc. And when you're dealing with someone who has a lot of money and is very into "winning" as I was, you don't know to what length they'll go to get what they want.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:11 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
Quote:
I was set up with this guy through a mutual friend. By the second date, he was asking to pick me up at my place. I said no, I'm not comfortable with that, I'd rather meet you out. He seemed a little baffled by that, but stayed quiet about it.

Move onto the third date and he is basically insisting that he pick me up at my place. Again, I said no, I am still getting to know you and I'd prefer to meet you out. Instead of just accepting that that was my comfort level, he got very defensive and started to push back. This was the final nail in the coffin. There will be no fourth date.

Guys, if a woman isn't comfortable with something, just let it be. If you really care about someone, you don't want them to feel uncomfortable or pushed into something they don't want to do. Respect a woman's boundaries. Don't take it personally and get defensive and make it all about you.
Good for you. I'd have done the same.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:17 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I've seen that show Who The Bleep Did I Marry? enough times to realize there are some people you never really know and that it's best to keep your distance while you figure out who they are and then stay away. Good going, Stava, I totally agree.
If you never really know someone, how do you "figure out who they are"?

If you followed your own advice/logic, you'd never have anyone over.

You can live life like everyone is out to get you, but what a sad way to live. The guy from stava's story had some red flags, so that's understandable, but when you meet someone who doesn't send flags flying, it's simple paranoia to be afraid of them for a prolonged period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships