Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I find it really odd that men have this fixation on a woman's hair while their own hair can be any way they want it. Brush cuts, bald, greasy long hair, or even a Mohawk is okay for them but the little lady has to have long luxurious locks untouched by scissors. Talk about a double standard.
Of course it is a double standard. It is called sexual dimorphism. And it is basic sociosexual biology. Men prefer certain physical characteristics in women, women prefer certain physical characteristics in men. Ugg, that you try to make a political statement out basic biology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Of course it is a double standard. It is called sexual dimorphism. And it is basic sociosexual biology. Men prefer certain physical characteristics in women, women prefer certain physical characteristics in men. Ugg, that you try to make a political statement out basic biology.

Hair length has nothing to do with the biology of sexual dimorphism. Facial hair does. Both genders are able to, naturally, have long hair. It is purely a cultural issue, and one that varies a great deal over history and among societies.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:20 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,887 times
On some women it's very sexy, some not so much. Annie Lennox and Natalie Portman are a few that come to mind.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Metaphysique, your thumbnail was not visible to me.
I'll post it directly. That was taken the same day it was first lightened. It's not orange-y anymore, thank bob. But it will hopefully end up a nice platinum and then silver-ish later today.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Hair length has nothing to do with the biology of sexual dimorphism. Facial hair does. Both genders are able to, naturally, have long hair. It is purely a cultural issue, and one that varies a great deal over history and among societies.
Yes, this.

I'm actually not very picky about men's hair. I've dated bald, buzzed and long haired men. But hipster, full grown beard, not so much. My husband keeps a short beard.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:36 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseLikeAnyOther View Post
But hair can DRASTICALLY change the way a person looks. That's the thing. That's why SO many people obsess about their hair. If you don't have the right face (a pretty feminine face, let's say you have a manly face as a woman), you can kiss being beautiful goodbye if you cut your hair short.
It really does no matter if you're man or woman. I was bitter when my celeb admiration buzzed his hair. Went from being super sexy to ugly in 0 seconds. One reason is it made his ears looked like Dumbo. Not that big ears are always bad because if you naturally have them I wouldn't count you out...idk it was just weird. I guess it helps I'm a hair gal because I'd rather a man I admire have a bad hairstyle than none at all though.
And Pamela Anderson does look awful with short hair IMO like someone else said.
On the other hand Pink looks weird with long hair. Then again it might be because we're used to her having short hair.

I don't really care too much about what another woman does though being straight. However I would personally cry if I had to cut my hair short I know that sounds dramatic when it's just hair but my hair is one of the few features of mine that I think is decent. I tried just above my shoulders and a hairstyle I thought I'd like but the whole time I just had a sour face. Worst part is some people were still saying "you look 14/16" which is the main reason I got it cut in the first place. Just can't win.
I do think it's getting long. Now I look like a hippie and I do wonder if it gives me headaches but I never know what to do with it because I fear the stylist will cut it too short. I guess it's also because I'm weird with change.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:20 AM

780 posts, read 679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I agree with the maintenance thing. I don't get why women of a certain age chop their hair off. Then it requires constant maintenance. Moms say it is easier to take care of but it really isn't. All I have to do is wash, dry, and go. Short hair requires styling, more haircuts to keep the shape, etc.
Since college, I've always had long hair, like almost to my butt. I have long, straight, black hair (Asian here). Recently, I chopped 10 inches off and donated it. It's now just above my shoulder. I've only had this short hair for a week as of today and so far, I'm loving it.

I used to think like you, that short hair requires more work. In a way, yes. I can't be lazy anymore and put it on a pony tail or a bun. I now have to "style it". But, since it's so short, styling it takes about 5 minutes max.

When I had my long hair, if I'm lazy, I'd put it on a bun or braid it and done. If you're the type to actually style your hair (curl or whatever), having it longer will take more time because it's longer strands. So the timing in terms of "maintaining" is based on if you actually do something with it or do you just tuck it away.

Long hair does require maintenance as well and technically due as many times to get a trim as with someone who has a short hair. It's just that someone with a long hair opt out because we tend to take care of it less and tuck it away instead, so we're not forced to do anything with it, as opposed to someone with short hair.

Also, I have a round face and I was told that my face comes out more and it looked better to have a short hair, because long hair dragged my whole face down.

But that's just my personal experience. Long hair tends to be more forgiving when it comes to my laziness than having a short hair.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Yeah, you definitely don't have features that look disproportionate with short cropped hair. I do. Unfortunately.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:28 AM

896 posts, read 1,477,051 times
You found a guy who likes women with short hair? Congrats. I bet you can find one who prefers plump women too.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program where we discuss the other 3.5 billion men on the planet....

Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestOne1 View Post
You found a guy who likes women with short hair?

Again, until I encountered CDR forum, I had no idea that a lot of guys don't like short hair. It really doesn't match at all what I encounter among my peers. It's like CD is another alien world. A beautiful face often comes out better with short hair, and you can see the neckline better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships