Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,175,334 times

Advertisements

Well, sounds like you were dealt a lousy hand. It doesn't sound like he really cares about working on the relationship because it's working for him just the way things are. Since you didn't love each other when you got married - it's going to be hard to get him to try to make things better for you. Most couples work on their relationship because they love each other. When you take that out of the equation, you aren't left with much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
No. I didnt know him. I spoke with him for a month over the phone before getting married; we were in 2 different countries at that time. I met him twice before getting married. thats all.
In my culture, arranged marriages by parents is pretty normal.
I'm guessing you won't be getting a divorce either so nothing we say can help you. I guess you just have to suck it up. Maybe start taking birth control so you won't be tied to the house forever while he has his harem of women on the side.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
I am serious. Where I am from (One of the Asian countries), it is quite common.

My apologies, I keep forgetting there are still arranged marriage by family that the intended still allows to happen in their lives.

All I can say is good luck.
I am curious though, have you told your family what he is doing and how he treats you?
Do they regret arranging this particular marriage?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:08 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Just wanted to know your perspective here. My husband goes out with his buddies almost every week. He says he is going out for a couple of beers but he leaves home at 6 PM and returns home only around 3 AM.
Is this common?

I have a 3 year old at home and I am expecting my second one in August. I have some pregnancy condition which makes me very tired by EOD. He has always been like this. This is nothing new.
So, i am just wondering, how often do you guys go? Is it wrong on my part to expect him to stay at home or at least return home at a reasonable time.
My ex husband use to do this 2-3 times a week. Eventually he would stay gone for days and he was shocked when I moved out. I was not willing to stay just to clean, cook and do his laundry.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post

In your situation, if you feel there are times he is running out with his friends and you NEED the help, have ASKED for the help, and he has rejected giving up some friend time or changing it on occasion to provide the help, then I would say that is a problem.
Actually, I have not specifically asked him to stay back. See what happens when something doesnt go in his way is that he makes the whole evening miserable for me. Like he would either pick up a fight over a small thing or in general sulk around. So, even when I need him, I dont ask for his help because at the end of the day, the goodness of him being home is a lot less than the resentment (for the lack of better word) he displays when he does stay home.

He always had control issues. In all honesty, when we were trying for a second baby, it was OK,. then things started going downhill. One by one. I dont want to take a life changing decision now in this year since I already have another life changing event happening soon (birth of my son coming august). I dont feel that I am up to coping with 2 major changes in one year.
So, I am going counseling to keep myself sane and focussed on the things that matter the most; my 3 girl and my yet-to be-born boy. I dont know if its the right thing to do. maybe I am just making excuses and buying time here but I dont feel the time is right for separation.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm guessing you won't be getting a divorce either so nothing we say can help you. I guess you just have to suck it up. Maybe start taking birth control so you won't be tied to the house forever while he has his harem of women on the side.
oh no no, I am not Muslim. And I also am highly educated and hold a successful job. My parents know about the situation at home. They said that **** happens but they sure could not have predicted this to happen. They support me with whatever decision I take.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:14 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Just wanted to know your perspective here. My husband goes out with his buddies almost every week. He says he is going out for a couple of beers but he leaves home at 6 PM and returns home only around 3 AM.
Is this common?

I have a 3 year old at home and I am expecting my second one in August. I have some pregnancy condition which makes me very tired by EOD. He has always been like this. This is nothing new.
So, i am just wondering, how often do you guys go? Is it wrong on my part to expect him to stay at home or at least return home at a reasonable time.
No, it's not. Going out after work once/wk with buddies for a beer at the sports bar? No problem. Staying out past dinner and then past midnight until 3 a.m. every time? Not at all normal. "A couple of beers" don't take 9 hours (count 'em: IX) to down. Guys who go out with their buddies after work are usually home by dinnertime. Even midnight would be excessive, let alone 3 a.m. ESPECIALLY with a small child at home and one incubating.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-29-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am curious though, have you told your family what he is doing and how he treats you?
Do they regret arranging this particular marriage?
My parents feel awful about it but thats all there is to it. the harm is done. They will (they said so) support me in what ever decison I make. They are not one of those conservative parents (like many in my community) where they expect the woman to stick with her husband no matter what.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:18 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Quote:
oh no no, I am not Muslim. And I also am highly educated and hold a successful job. My parents know about the situation at home. They said that **** happens but they sure could not have predicted this to happen. They support me with whatever decision I take.
Well, that's good to hear.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:18 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Actually, I have not specifically asked him to stay back. See what happens when something doesnt go in his way is that he makes the whole evening miserable for me. Like he would either pick up a fight over a small thing or in general sulk around. So, even when I need him, I dont ask for his help because at the end of the day, the goodness of him being home is a lot less than the resentment (for the lack of better word) he displays when he does stay home.

He always had control issues. In all honesty, when we were trying for a second baby, it was OK,. then things started going downhill. One by one. I dont want to take a life changing decision now in this year since I already have another life changing event happening soon (birth of my son coming august). I dont feel that I am up to coping with 2 major changes in one year.
So, I am going counseling to keep myself sane and focussed on the things that matter the most; my 3 girl and my yet-to be-born boy. I dont know if its the right thing to do. maybe I am just making excuses and buying time here but I dont feel the time is right for separation.
You've married a child. You will soon have 3 children to coddle, not just 2. Was he like this when you were dating, and engaged? I always wonder how people get into situations like this, and find themselves surprised. Sometimes the need to control, and other issues, are hidden until after the wedding. But usually there's some clue beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships