Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 06:59 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
So if the relationship was working, why would the relationship end?

this will be interesting...
Well if it's like my relationship with a much older guy it's because it wasn't meant to last...by design.
Not everyone who enters into a relationship is hell bent on "forever".. Especially when there's a large age gap.
We both have busy lives. He's focused on his career, adult children and enjoying the fruits of his labor.
I am just not ready for LT. I am in a good place employment wise, socially, financially and emotionally.
I am just recently to a point in my life when I too can start enjoying my independence and freedom. The last thing that I want right now is to be tied down. I am taking the LSAT in October and if I pass... For all I know I may have to relocate out of state for 3 years to complete school ( depending on if and where I was accepted), which would pretty much kill our relationship.
We've been together for a year and it's working great, but I won't let it trump my plans for my future. Which by the way.. Does not include a 55 year old man.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:15 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,915 times
I'm a 38 year old female. I cannot even imagine myself dating a 19 year old boy. Sorry, but the phrase "dirty old man" comes to mind when reading this thread.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:40 PM

1,273 posts, read 992,344 times
Woah, Syd, callous much?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,774,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My daughter is 19 and I am 41. There would have to be some severe daddy issues going on for my daughter to go there, so much so that I can't really wrap my head around what I would say to a man my age at my front door.

I know this might tick off a few readers, but 19 is the worst. A perfect storm of know-it-all cluelessness. This is not the first time I've said it here, so I'm not making it up for your thread. I was terrible at 19 too. Thought I was all grown up and ready to elbow my way to my rightful place at the adult table. I am heavily prejudiced against that particular age.
Yeah it's true. When I think of my most "How did anyone even allow me to act like that?" age it's anywhere from 16-22 and then I met my husband who doesn't deal with diva type attitude. In fact he put me right in line, thank goodness. So 19... really? She doesn't even know who she is yet. Especially if she has daddy issues. I mean honestly you're "playing" (because trust me it won't work out) a vulnerable girl and she will leave even more damaged. Find someone over 25 at least please. 25 is when the prefrontal cortex is fully formed (the area of the brain that aids in decision making).

Old 09-20-2015, 08:42 PM

1,273 posts, read 992,344 times
Science!!!!!

Old 09-20-2015, 08:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,503,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The only thing a 38 yr old man would want from a 19 yr girl would be sex, I couldn't imagine a real relationship with that age combo, heck, add 20 yrs to both numbers and it can work, but 19 is just too much different in pretty much all aspects of life than a 38 yr. I mean that is damn near 40 and I know that when I was 38 or 40 I was a much different person than at 19.

When you're 19 you should be in college or something like that, going to parties, doing stuff with people in your peer group.
Well, you dad wanted sex from your mom, right? What's the difference?

Maybe a strong, independent and emotionally mature 19-year old woman isn't into being a drunk lush at sorority parties. Problems, sh!tlord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Gross. Yes, you should.
Because? Having been desired by the kind of young and empowered women that OP describes, I can't help that "being myself" was desirable to those women. I shouldn't have to change myself for or because of anybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I'm a 38 year old female. I cannot even imagine myself dating a 19 year old boy. Sorry, but the phrase "dirty old man" comes to mind when reading this thread.
Yeah, well very few women "date down". No shock there. Then again, admittedly, when I browse OLD (I know, I know...) and see 40-year old women with age ranges of 27-45 or thereabouts, I sorta' get the idea why they are single, childless, and not getting ready to be grandmothers in a handful of years. Ah, I miss the good ol' days.

(Does that make those women "dirty old women"? I mean, we are all about equality here, you know.)

Old 09-20-2015, 08:54 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
She has the most beautiful eyes and I think I would be happy to just get to know her better but I think it all leads to sex eventually, whether you like it or not. Only problem is that, young girls are easily impressed, therefore there is a side of me that tells me I shouldnt even be thinking about doing anything with someone this young, it has been always a moral dillema for me.
Your user name says it all.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:02 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
Woah, Syd, callous much?

How is that being callous? When we started out we sat down and discussed the ground rules. It was he who
wanted me to understand in no uncertain terms that this wouldn't be " forever". His main concern was my getting too attached. Everything ( expectation wise) was discussed and agreed upon. No secrets or hidden agendas. No jealousy, insecurity, possessiveness or drama. Neither of us are under the illusion that we will or even want to walk off into the sunset together. My future plans don't include a 55 year old man, and his don't include a 26 year old woman. We both understand and neither has an issue with it.... Because it's honest and up front.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Anyways, I live in a college town and I am around young girls all the time. I am not a professor but I still have ties to the university. Last week, through a function, I got to meet a 19 year old girl. Let me first make it very clear that I find nothing in common with 95% of the girls I interact here but this girl is cool and acts a little older
Notice the OP here has no illusions he is looking at a woman!

Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauriene View Post
The bigotry on this thread is palpable. Not to mention the jealousy and general nosiness of some people. At the end of the day, men who like younger women will date younger women and there's not a damn thing these people can do about it. OP, if you like this 19 year old girl and she likes you, go ahead and date her. You don't need anyone's approval. They can kick and scream all they like about how they're not jealous, but they are and it's obvious. Men will date whoever they choose and that includes much younger women and foreign women or both, and if you don't like it, tough. It's your problem.
How is responding to a thread that somebody posts "nosiness?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships