Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 09:11 AM

943 posts, read 3,335,522 times

Advertisements

I don't fall into that category at all, however I do like to wear fitted stuff (ex. pencil skirts, skinny jeans, structured dresses) If anything, I prefer to show off my neckline/shoulders/décolletage because I think thats very sexy in a subtle, classy way.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
As good male friend told me - "every woman wants to think that every man wants her."

If you look at the purpose of the woman, biologically speaking... we create babies. Biologically speaking, we do things to attract the best male prospect we can. We like to be complimented, we like to hear that we're attractive and/or wanted, and we like to know that we're sexy.

Women that dress to show off in public do so for the self indulged gratification of knowing she is turning heads. Even if it is a subconscious desire, she still has the desire to feel eyes on her. She wants to know men are thinking about her, wanting her, etc -- even if she has not even the slightest intention of taking that man home. It is a act she does because she questions her attractiveness, sexiness, or "self" and needs superficial reassurance. The women that have more self confidence and self love will dress good and look good, but won't give up the goods.

If I go out, I dress in a way that shows a little but still leaves a lot to the imagination. Form fitting shirts and pants with the occasional cleavage peaking out (...have PLENTY to work with.. unfortunately!), but not revealing. I'm comfortable with myself and am ok with my image. I have always gotten attention without ever having to give anything away.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
I've wondered the same thing and have even posted about it, asking the same question. It's particularly disturbing seeing it in the very young. As a woman who doesn't dress in this manner, all I can do is assume it's for attention and to compete with other females.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:45 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Here is a video clip from Dave Chappelle that is pretty spot on regarding women that dress too provocatively.

Pretty funny. Kind of vulgar so you've been warned. LOL

YouTube - Dave Chapelle on how women dress.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:46 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,257,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Here is a video clip from Dave Chappelle that is pretty spot on regarding women that dress too provocatively.

I knew you were cool but now I think you're really cool...Chapelle is one of my favorites...family swap was priceless..

Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Pretty spot on.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,384,846 times
They are trying to turn men on, looking for affirmation, etc.

However, women who live out in the small conservative country towns, like I do, in Texas, for the most part do NOT dress like that. You are more likely to see women dress like I do-Wranglers, t-shirts, long-sleeve western shirts, cowboy boots, baseball hat or cowboy hat, Carhart jackets, hunter camo, ropers, bling bling western wear.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:54 PM

630 posts, read 1,295,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I think women should be able to dress how they please, if you don't like it, don't look. Women like to dress how they feel good, its sort of self absorbed for men to feel its ALL about them or an invitation for sex.
exactly. Most women are not dressing for men, they are dressing for themself and what they feel comfortable wearing. If it is a hot day and you don't want to bundle up, theres nothing wrong with showing skin, its the same reason men take off their shirts when its hot, its not always so they can show off, somtimes its for function. Its just when girls do it, they have boobs and thats the only reason men think women are trying to show off because they are noticing only that.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,358 times
ok... ok... idk how many times i'm going to have to explain this to people!!!! if a man is willing to rape someone he's not going to care what the hell she is wearing!!! if she looks drunk and weak... that's their target!!! maybe if women were smarter and either had friends with her when she's getting totally zonked or was a little bit more aware and responsible for herself and others around her... rape wouldn't have to happen in these type of situations... come on ladies... we get totally agitated when men give us less credit than we deserve, but when we act like this we deserve that!!! get a brain and empower the lady name!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,031 times
Not sure if this has been touched on....but society's general message to women is that their value is tied up in their appearance and sexual attractiveness. Many women buy into it (erroneously thinking this means they "own their sexuality" and that it "empowers" them, blah blah blah ), and so they dress provocatively to get male attention and validate themselves. Unfortunately, many men encourage this behavior by rewarding it with attention, but we all know that there is probably less respect for these women than ones who dress classier and more modestly.

Admittedly, as a woman, you can walk down the street in jeans & a tee shirt, fully covered, nothing special, and guys will still yell crap at you. It happens to me like once a week, and I am not bragging (it's annoying). So I'm not sure why some women try so hard by exposing so much skin....

And sure, it's normal for any woman (or man) to want to feel attractive sometimes, and I am not saying it's good to be a prude or there aren't occasions for tastefully displaying some skin, but the overly revealing clothes some women wear is really just a pathetic and vain cry for attention. To me it says, "all I have to offer as a person is my body".
Women who really dress for themselves & to feel good wear stylish and flattering clothes, not simply ones which reveal their body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships