Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:40 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Something that the OP really needs to think about in the future is the age of the guy she dates and if he has kids already or not. Men, and women for that matter, when they're late 30's and have a couple of kids that are way past the baby/toddler stage don't really want to go through again, especially if they're pushing 40. This stuff gets harder on people as they get older in general. While I never had kids myself, I have tremendous respect for parents that put in the hard work to try and raise good kids and I can only begin to imagine the difficulty that must be at times. I'm not the smartest man in the room, but I'm smart enough to get that.
Well in my day, after 35 for the woman was considered too old. Not that some had kids older, it was less common.
I had a toddler and was pregnant in medical school. I was busy around the clock; what made it possible was it was exciting, although very hard!
My kids were all healthy; they all did well to alright in school, and they take care of themselves today.
Being a widow is hard; however, now I do not have to do anything. My kids manage my needs for me, including paying for my internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 07:45 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I do understand his concern, being new 40, then child at 10, he would be 50, and 60 when child is grown, For my standard that is too old for kids, then, this in MY standard, which is not universal.

I had four children, first one at age 21, out of college, and the last one was when I was age 29.
I don't get it. What's wrong with being 60 with a young adult around the house? What is scary about it?

Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Well in my day, after 35 for the woman was considered too old. Not that some had kids older, it was less common.
I had a toddler and was pregnant in medical school. I was busy around the clock; what made it possible was it was exciting, although very hard!
My kids were all healthy; they all did well to alright in school, and they take care of themselves today.
Being a widow is hard; however, now I do not have to do anything. My kids manage my needs for me, including paying for my internet.
Women have been having children in their 40s for centuries. After the invention of the birth control pill, women could control their reproductivity, but not before.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:54 PM

52,204 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Women have been having children in their 40s for centuries. After the invention of the birth control pill, women could control their reproductivity, but not before.
Centuries ago women and men died in their 40s much more often then today. This would necessitate that menopause most likely happened early than it occurs today.

Do a little basic homework here.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:56 PM

63 posts, read 56,693 times
Yes I agree his age is a factor in this. He is 37 and has 2 children. Why would he want to start all over. He has a 10 year old and a 13 year old. The 13 year old girl is already displaying teenage angst. His focus is on her right now because this is a time in her life where she needs the most guidance from both parents. Why would he want to bring another child to complicate life further. It's really a bad idea for him. I understand this. At the same time, there are many people who make it work. My cousin and her husband are the same ages as my ex and I. They have a 13 year old daughter and they just welcomed a new baby girl. They are all very happy. Somethings work for some and not for others. I've also taken into consideration, if the mother was the demand her children back, what kind of financial situation would he be in then I.e. Child support? All these what-ifs. No matter the what-ifs, I want to make the right decision. What am I talking about??? The decision is no longer mine. The decision has been made. He made the best decision for all of us. I still beg to differ. I believe we could have made things work. I am financially stable. I make more money than him. There isn't really any convincing I can do. It's all final now. He made up his mind and is moving on with his life. I need to do the same.

I'm trying my best to stay occupied. I am where I feel I need to be right now. I don't think I need to be out enjoying the town or hanging out with friends. I need to be at home reflecting and doing to soul serching. I have to do this the right way. If he comes back, he will. He will let me know. I have faith in that.

I really hate that my emotions are all over the place. Im starting to feel like I'm losing my marbles. Please exuse me if I'm all over the place. I'm eager to learn about what I'm experiencing and I'm eager to grow. I'm also eager to get all this hard stuff out of the way.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:58 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
It sounds like your boyfriend is feeling these lyrics:

"And I would do anything for love, but I won't do that
No, I won't do that!"

OP, don't look back!

Old 02-27-2016, 07:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,486 times
Quote:
Suppose that the average age of menopause is 51. Is 40 that old? For some women, yes, it is risky for some women to deliver a baby at the age of 37; especially those who experience menopause close to 40. For women who experience menopause after 55, 40 is perfectly healthy for delivering a viable baby - in my humble opinion...
Most women experience natural menopause between ages 40 and 58, yet this has little to do with being able to have a healthy pregnancy. The risk of miscarriages is also far lower: It's about 10 percent for women in their 20s, 12 percent for women in their early 30s, and 18 percent for women in their mid to late 30s. Miscarriage risk jumps to about 34 percent for women in their early 40s, and 53 percent by age 45. Younger women are less likely to have premature or low-birth-weight babies than women older than 35.
Al the physical evidence sides with younger pregnancies, the cons are mostly social-economic, and, for some psychological. Much of this has to do with social-cultural changes, not improved human biology.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Centuries ago women and men died in their 40s much more often then today. This would necessitate that menopause most likely happened early than it occurs today.

Do a little basic homework here.
Lifespan depends on lifestyle. Even in the 1700s, some people died young, some lived long. Dying young does not mean that menopause happens at a younger age.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Most women experience natural menopause between ages 40 and 58, yet this has little to do with being able to have a healthy pregnancy. The risk of miscarriages is also far lower: It's about 10 percent for women in their 20s, 12 percent for women in their early 30s, and 18 percent for women in their mid to late 30s. Miscarriage risk jumps to about 34 percent for women in their early 40s, and 53 percent by age 45. Younger women are less likely to have premature or low-birth-weight babies than women older than 35.
Al the physical evidence sides with younger pregnancies, the cons are mostly social-economic, and, for some psychological. Much of this has to do with social-cultural changes, not improved human biology.
Miscarriage is nature's way of dealing with fetal abnormalities.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
I don't get it. What's wrong with being 60 with a young adult around the house? What is scary about it?
LOL, my FIL just turned 70 and has an 18-year old daughter via his second marriage. They have a blast. Growing up, he was able to be the parent that went to all her stuff and was ultra involved, because he was retired and had time. Contrasted to my husband's upbringing, when his dad was working all the time and able to be involved in very little, not such a bad deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships