Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Tie goes to the runner.

Most men are not attracted to dominant women.
And most women are not attracted to passive men.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I just heard the phrase not too long ago actually. I haven't seen a relationship like this yet where the man was respected. Either by the women he's with or the people around him.

I don't think "modernism" of culture has anything to do with it but the issue is more biological in nature.
No, if that phrase is being used, then there is certainly a lack of respect. You're right on that.

But the vast majority of relationships I see are very egalitarian in nature, people have really equal partnerships these days. At least among the professional and educated segment of the population.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:46 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
But the vast majority of relationships I see are very egalitarian in nature, people have really equal partnerships these days. At least among the professional and educated segment of the population.
At least among the people you know.

Do you really think that you can make generalizations about the professional or educational status of those who don't have "really equal partnerships"?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
At least among the people you know.

Do you really think that you can make generalizations about the professional or educational status of those who don't have "really equal partnerships"?
Reading is an increasingly problematic thing for you, as is your desire to try to pick stupid fights. Save if for people that want to talk about the fringes of society.

If you read, I specifically said:

Quote:
No, if that phrase is being used, then there is certainly a lack of respect. You're right on that.

I see, I see, I see.

So pick your silly light fights with someone else and work on reading comprehension. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,211,085 times
Do men "always" need to feel dominate?: no

Do men sometines need to feel dominate? Yes

Do women always exaggerate?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Reading is an increasingly problematic thing for you, as is your desire to try to pick stupid fights. Save if for people that want to talk about the fringes of society.

If you read, I specifically said:
To be clear, I was responding to this statement of yours:

At least among the professional and educated segment of the population.

This seems to be a generalized statement about the population. It is a common (and very often erroneous) stereotype.

To be clear, we are not speaking about the "fringes of society". We are speaking of people of varied backgrounds who choose to be in relationships that are not "egalitarian". Doctors, lawyers, engineers, it runs the gamut.

And while we're on this subject of erroneous stereotypes, another has been mentioned on this thread- that those that choose to be in a relationship with a more dominant partner are not strong in and of themselves. Certainly that is the case for some, but it is definitely not true across the board. Not even close.

Most of the long-lasting relationships I've seen where there is a dominant partner have one thing in common- there is mutual respect and one party does not run roughshod over the other.

Oh, and in regard to the OP, shoot-em-up games have nothing to do with one being dominant or not.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:45 AM

264 posts, read 183,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonPinkieus View Post
I have noticed with past boyfriends including the one I am currently involved with being seen as tough and dominate is a huge thing. Sure they can vary in different ways and they can be more or less caring and understanding, but for example my current bf as well as other past boyfriends really love their shoot/kill and destroy video games. I know it may seem as a minor thing to complain about but to me it just seems like an adolescent male power fantasy, am I the only one?

At the risk of irritating plenty of people around here......

I have yet to see a man that is tough and dominant that plays video games at anything more than random/infrequent intervals. Video games and dominant are mutually exclusive. Just my two bits.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
To be clear, I was responding to this statement of yours:

At least among the professional and educated segment of the population.

This seems to be a generalized statement about the population. It is a common (and very often erroneous) stereotype.

To be clear, we are not speaking about the "fringes of society". We are speaking of people of varied backgrounds who choose to be in relationships that are not "egalitarian". Doctors, lawyers, engineers, it runs the gamut.

And while we're on this subject of erroneous stereotypes, another has been mentioned on this thread- that those that choose to be in a relationship with a more dominant partner are not strong in and of themselves. Certainly that is the case for some, but it is definitely not true across the board. Not even close.

Most of the long-lasting relationships I've seen where there is a dominant partner have one thing in common- there is mutual respect and one party does not run roughshod over the other.

Oh, and in regard to the OP, shoot-em-up games have nothing to do with one being dominant or not.
I think it can work just fine when it's what both people want, especially when one is naturally more dominant and the other is naturally more submissive. Put two domineering people together and they'll likely be butting heads. Put two submissive people together and s--t doesn't get done. I think a lot of people have elements of both inclinations, and can incompatible with either "extreme".

Old 06-13-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I think it can work just fine when it's what both people want, especially when one is naturally more dominant and the other is naturally more submissive. Put two domineering people together and they'll likely be butting heads. Put two submissive people together and s--t doesn't get done. I think a lot of people have elements of both inclinations, and can incompatible with either "extreme".
Absolutely. As with anything else relationship-wise, compatibility is definitely key.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Your example of the need to be "dominating" is shooter games?
I was thinking the same thing.

It is a crazy leap in logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships