Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 02:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Where do you see me saying facts? These are common sense lessons.

If you were looking to get into purchasing a motorcycle, would you go seek advice from a person who has never touched one? Or a person who has 40 years of experience riding them?

If you wanted to learn anything about motorcycle who would you get your adice from? A person who has no experience at all with a motorcycle or a person who is highly experienced?

By the way you post I would be willing to bet you would go to the person who has zero experience or knoweldge about motorcycling. HA Good luck with that!

BIG LESSON for you is it's not wise to assume.

I work as a Medical Professional and I hold degrees and am licensed as a Medical Professional.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Tell em!

Old 06-15-2016, 02:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We used to call motorcycle riders cycle donors at the big box hospital I used to work at. I've seen those horrific accidents and have lost two boyfriends to them. One other friend nearly lost her leg from an accident.
These sound like people who did not practice safe riding habits.

People can post all the horror stories they want. When I hear these stories the first thing I think is, I wonder what kind of rider they were? It never think OMG those bad dangerous motorcycles that KILL KILL KILL!

Instead I wonder what kind of rider they were and what did they do that caused the accident.

I will say it again. It's up to the motorcyclists how safe their rides are.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:20 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
They do more than just hold a head together.

They help in the following.
  • Avoiding Fatal Head Injuries
  • Wind and Dust Protection
  • Keeping Eyes Secure

Motorcycle Helmets – Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety

Actually most motorcycle accidents are minor. There are a lot of stupid motorcyclist out there doing extremes and those are never minor accidents.

In 2014, 62 percent of fatally injured motorcycle drivers were helmeted.

Fatality Facts

And yes, I find my helmet keeps bugs out of my eyes and stuff like that. Our helmets even have two way communication so we can talk, and a separate drop down sun visor if I find it too bright out. All of that is lovely, but I will still probably get seriously injured or die in an accident.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In 2014, 62 percent of fatally injured motorcycle drivers were helmeted.

Fatality Facts

And yes, I find my helmet keeps bugs out of my eyes and stuff like that. Our helmets even have two way communication so we can talk, and a separate drop down sun visor if I find it too bright out. All of that is lovely, but I will still probably get seriously injured or die in an accident.
I don't understand the link to the fatalities of those wearing helmets. I never once said that wearing helmet will prevent death. The point I was making is there are people who fall off motorcycles at low speed, wearing no helmet, and die from a severe head concussion, but would have a much better survival with a good helmet. Not any type of helmet but a good quality helmet. In my safety course we learned of a guy who was going 30 mph and dropped his bike, not wearing a helmet and died from the head impact. It can happen even on bicycle. You can look up how many non-helmet wearing cyclists die each year. Helmets help save lives.

I worked in a trauma setting in my beginning days as a health professional. Every time an ER nurse saw my helmet they would tell me that they are happy I have that particular brand of helmet. They say those who wear that brand and one other brand are the ones that usually pull through. Most riders buy the cheapest helmet out there. That's not very smart and they usually crack open on impact.

Me and my partner also have helmet blue tooth communication system in our helmets.

I wear a full face helmet. At night I wear the clear visor, during the day I wear the dark visor.

No bugs or rocks hitting my face.

I wear full protective gear. It's expensive to get the right gear, but to me it's well worth it.

You don't want to go cheap on protective gear.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:47 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Yeah, my problem is wearing boots and leather jacket in 90 degree, 80% humidity.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, my problem is wearing boots and leather jacket in 90 degree, 80% humidity.
I can imagine!

When I lived in Houston I could only ride Oct-April.

Here in the Bay Area we are spoiled! It's perfect riding weather and we all gear up niecly here.

It gets cold here especially at night so I have a 90 watt heated jacket liner that I plug in and use on cold days/nights. It feels so good being sung and warm while riding. I also have heated throttles.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
Quote:
These sound like people who did not practice safe riding habits.

People can post all the horror stories they want. When I hear these stories the first thing I think is, I wonder what kind of rider they were? It never think OMG those bad dangerous motorcycles that KILL KILL KILL!

Instead I wonder what kind of rider they were and what did they do that caused the accident.

I will say it again. It's up to the motorcyclists how safe their rides are.
All accidents are fault of the motorcyclist and could be prevented by safe riding habits? Seriously? Sure, you can control your own motorcycle and behaviour (to an extent) but you can't control behaviour of other road users. Also - humans are not computers, we make mistakes, even the most careful and experienced of motorcyclists. You can't deny that riding a motorcycle is way riskier than driving a car. The OP's wife has lost her brother following a motorcycle accident. Can you not at all understand why she might have (real) fears about her husband riding one?

PS: I am NOT against motorcycles. I have been on a few and get the appeal. But I can also understand the wife's position.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
All accidents are fault of the motorcyclist and could be prevented by safe riding habits? Seriously?
Show me where I posted the word ALL.

You guys need to learn how to read better.

Quote:
Sure, you can control your own motorcycle and behaviour (to an extent) but you can't control behaviour of other road users.
What does not being able to control other peoples driving have to do with your ability as a motorcyclist to be safe? To always leave yourself and out? To never ride in blind spots? To never go through a light without first making sure it's 100% clear? To know when a car is clueless and driving haphazardly? To know if a car is too close to me for comfort? A bad car driver does not have anything to do with how safe I can ride my motorcycle. All it takes is paying attention to what's going on around you, which is very easy to do on a motorcycle. I can certainly control all that I listed.
Quote:
Also - humans are not computers, we make mistakes, even the most careful and experienced of motorcyclists.
That's true we are not computers. It's true that people make mistakes, some more than others. I can assure you if you have good riding habits those stay with you just like riding a bicycle. A person who rides their motorcycle 5-6 times per week is going to be much better trained than a person who take their bike out once every now and then or once a year. Riding everyday keeps your skills in tip top shape. Me and my partner are living proof! I can't wait for our lovey ride along the Pacific coast this weekend!
Quote:
You can't deny that riding a motorcycle is way riskier than driving a car.
Have you seen me deny this?
Quote:
The OP's wife has lost her brother following a motorcycle accident. Can you not at all understand why she might have (real) fears about her husband riding one?
Of course I can understand it but it does not make it right for her to tell her him no! Nothing in life is guaranteed...not even marriage. What if he obeys and does as she wants and 7 years from now they are no longer together for what ever reasons. He has just lost 7 years of not following his dreams. The older a person is when they learn to ride the more prone they are to making mistakes. It's best to start young when learning anything involving high risk.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:51 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
OP, go ahead and get the bike, tell her to cut her hair off to spite you if she does not like it!

Old 06-15-2016, 04:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I am not understanding a certain posters doggedly contrarian position on motorcycle ownership. It could be argued fairly that I was inexperienced and this led to my accident. I came to motorcycles from years on bicycles and learned quickly. I had been riding only 1/2 of a summer when I crashed. I got the bike in late Spring. My survival of the accident was blind luck. There was a very rare accident and death of a performer at a Cirque du Soleil performance not that long ago. I have been to a few and you know you are looking at supremely talented and practiced people at the top of their game as Cirque only puts the best out there. I imagine everyone in attendance had to be given refunds. Spit happens. To the best. Mikala's attitude is far more reasonable. You could still advocate for motorcycles and it would go down a lot better if you laid off the condescension and hyperbole about how impossible it is for skilled and experienced riders to get hurt and how likely it is that if someone is in an accident its because they were unskilled.

My next door neighbors daughter has a husband who used to ride. One day I was over and so were they. He is my archetype closed head injury who shambles around and speaks with the slurred speech of a 3x the legal limit drunk. He told me he didn't know why his wife stays with him and started to blubber and embarrass the hell out of me and mine. We'd only just met them. Sad. I hope you don't poo poo the risks and act all above it with yours. You may need them to change your diapers one day. Build in the good will now while you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships