Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 04:39 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times

Advertisements

Sorry Leisesturm,

I will continue to advocate that experience and knowing how your motorcycle handles in all conditions on top of being safe rider greatly adds to reducing crashes.

Yes dumb blind luck happens, and dumb blind bad luck happens...it's how well you are experienced and trained to handle it when it does happen.

Just think of that pilot who landed that plane on the Hudson river. His co-pilot panicked and could not do it. I watched his interview and had there been a new or different captain in that situation combined with the panicked co-pilot I don't think that situation would have turned out as well as it did.

Same can be said for all of us who have been riding for 20-40 yeas and can stand here and say with confidence that we have never even come close to death or have ever crashed with another vehicle or moving object.

At least it's nice that you admit you were fairly inexperienced which resulted in this crash. I am of the belief based on my experience as a rider, that most motorcyclists are at fault when they crash.

This is why I advocate taking motorcycle safety courses, even take an advanced one, get track practice if your city or town offers it, get to know your motorcycle and how it handles in different road conditions. All of this will greatly enhance your safety and make you a much better rider.

Most motorcycle accidents are caused by those who have not done one single thing of what I advocate, are usually young high strung out boys or older men who have been drinking. Alcohol plays a huge role in many motorcycle deaths.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Sorry Leisesturm,

I will continue to advocate that experience and knowing how your motorcycle handles in all conditions on top of being safe rider greatly adds to reducing crashes.

Yes dumb blind luck happens, and dumb blind bad luck happens...it's how well you are experienced and trained to handle it when it does happen.

Just think of that pilot who landed that plane on the Hudson river. His co-pilot panicked and could not do it. I watched his interview and had there been a new or different captain in that situation combined with the panicked co-pilot I don't think that situation would have turned out as well as it did.

Same can be said for all of us who have been riding for 20-40 yeas and can stand here and say with confidence that we have never even come close to death or have ever crashed with another vehicle or moving object.

At least it's nice that you admit you were fairly inexperienced which resulted in this crash. I am of the belief based on my experience as a rider, that most motorcyclists are at fault when they crash.

This is why I advocate taking motorcycle safety courses, even take an advanced one, get track practice if your city or town offers it, get to know your motorcycle and how it handles in different road conditions. All of this will greatly enhance your safety and make you a much better rider.

Most motorcycle accidents are caused by those who have not done one single thing of what I advocate, are usually young high strung out boys or older men who have been drinking. Alcohol plays a huge role in many motorcycle deaths.
This is all well and good but the question was from a relationship standpoint, in the relationships forum, yet you've made it all about your riding experiences and views on safety.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
This is all well and good but the question was from a relationship standpoint, in the relationships forum, yet you've made it all about your riding experiences and views on safety.
I have also made my views known as to why the OP should continue to pursue his dreams.

I have also made my views known about how the OP's wife needs to deal with her unresolved issues surrounding her brothers death.

I have also made my views known that the real issue is not really about him wanting a motorcycle.

I have also made my views known that it would benefit the wife to deal get help and deal with her loss.

I will continue to respond about how to be a safe motorcycle rider when people who don't know what they are talking about post nonsense about motorcycle safety.

Most of the responses have been about how bad a motorcycle is. Most responses have hardly touched upon the psychology of the wife or the rights of the husband.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-15-2016 at 06:03 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 12:50 AM

Got to love how helmets help to save lives! She would not have survived without all of her proper gear...especially that helmet! These are the same mountains that I ride in. I have seen motorcycles down in the Santa Cruz mountains... but never a fatality. Thank you Guardian Angles and motorcycle gear combined with good rider skills!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpE0IX2oUlM

Old 06-16-2016, 01:10 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Got to love how helmets help to save lives! She would not have survived without all of her proper gear...especially that helmet! These are the same mountains that I ride in. I have seen motorcycles down in the Santa Cruz mountains... but never a fatality. Thank you Guardian Angles and motorcycle gear combined with good rider skills!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpE0IX2oUlM
That helmet/gear would have been no match if the car was moving. She was definitely lucky.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That helmet/gear would have been no match if the car was moving. She was definitely lucky.

At the end the husband says that her helmet hit the axle of the vehicle. Now tell me if she was not wearing a helmet do you really think she would be crawling out from under the vehicle?

I would bet you things would have turned out much worse had she not been wearing all of that gear.

Yes most of us are lucky on motorcycles contrary to the mass hysteria that we are not.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:33 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
We only see the aftermath. What makes you think that car was not moving?

At the end the husband says that her helmet hit the axle of the vehicle. Now tell me if she was not wearing a helmet do you really think she would be crawling out from under the vehicle?

Watch the video a few times and its obvious the car was at a stand still when she dumped/slid right into the front end. You have to give credit to the attentive car driver for saving her life, not her gear/ helmet. Although, the helmet did prevent injury.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:33 AM

914 posts, read 738,226 times
I just watched a 5 minute YouTube video titled "Deadly Motorcycle Accidents Compilation". Sure, some of the accidents could have been avoided by safe driving habits. Others (many) were due to cars not seeing the riders.

At the end of the day, we don't know how safe a rider the OP would be. All we know is that his wife has been traumatised by her brother's death. So I guess it comes down to what's important to the husband, his wife's comfort or his dream of riding a motorcycle. I would tend to agree that the wife should get help to deal with her brother's death regardless of what the OP decides to do. Doesn't mean that her fears are completely irrational though.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Watch the video a few times and its obvious the car was at a stand still when she dumped/slid right into the front end. You have to give credit to the attentive car driver for saving her life, not her gear/ helmet. Although, the helmet did prevent injury.
I give credit to both especially when her helmet hit the front axial.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
I just watched a 5 minute YouTube video titled "Deadly Motorcycle Accidents Compilation". Sure, some of the accidents could have been avoided by safe driving habits. Others (many) were due to cars not seeing the riders.
And it is the responsibility of the motorcyclist to be aware of this.
Quote:
At the end of the day, we don't know how safe a rider the OP would be.
True but that is his prerogative.
Quote:
All we know is that his wife has been traumatised by her brother's death.
True and she needs to deal with it.
Quote:
So I guess it comes down to what's important to the husband, his wife's comfort or his dream of riding a motorcycle.
Alternatively it might be very important for him to find a way to help her deal with what happened to her brother so that she will be ok with him pursuing his motorcycle dream.
Quote:
I would tend to agree that the wife should get help to deal with her brother's death regardless of what the OP decides to do.
I agree!
Quote:
Doesn't mean that her fears are completely irrational though.
They are 100% irrational. I am living proof of it, as well as millions of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships