Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 10:55 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Sonic, Perhaps take a Kendo class...

https://www.google.com/search?q=kend...client=gws-wiz

I think it was Mike Tyson who said, “Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 01:03 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I think it was Mike Tyson who said, “Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face”.
True but to be fair to Sonic, she reads both people and situations very well and she has enough past life experiences where she has managed to talk herself out of hairy situations where she now fully believes she can pretty much talk her way out of future hairy situations as well.

So how I think you talk Sonic into learning a martial art isn't by emphasizing the "martial" aspects of martial arts as much but emphazing some other aspect to it. I could see some cross over appeal in learning Hojojutsu with some of Sonic's other life style choices and that might possibly get her interested for that purpose. My brother's friend got real into Kung Fu for the mental aspects of that and that might also suck Sonic into Kung Fu or better yet Weng Chun for similar mental aspects as well.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:28 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
True but to be fair to Sonic, she reads both people and situations very well and she has enough past life experiences where she has managed to talk herself out of hairy situations where she now fully believes she can pretty much talk her way out of future hairy situations as well.

So how I think you talk Sonic into learning a martial art isn't by emphasizing the "martial" aspects of martial arts as much but emphazing some other aspect to it. I could see some cross over appeal in learning Hojojutsu with some of Sonic's other life style choices and that might possibly get her interested for that purpose. My brother's friend got real into Kung Fu for the mental aspects of that and that might also suck Sonic into Kung Fu or better yet Weng Chun for similar mental aspects as well.
Yeah I mean...it's not that I have no interest in martial arts. I just have practically no interest in violence. And while there are occasions where a person can be minding their own business and be a victim of crime, I feel like when it comes to physical threats, the guys I've known who go around READY for violence are the ones who are more often involved in it happening at all.

So when it comes to protecting myself and my property at home, I'm more apt to choose my home carefully, install thoroughly considered security systems as needed, and insure the hell out of everything. Not so much my ol' Ex-man and his "I'm going to booby-trap the yard and get lots of guns and tell everybody how big & bad a killer I am all the time" mindset.

But martial arts... I would like some good holistic, healthful practices that help me be calm and mindful and fit. Also, I often feel kind of clumsy in my body, and would really like to do some kind of activity that makes me feel more in control of it, more balanced and graceful. And I just really don't want to push my luck allowing myself to get out of shape as I cruise into middle age, here. I'm lucky so far, a rare specimen for either side of my family to have not gained a lot of weight despite not putting effort into diet or exercise, but that luck ain't likely to hold out forever, I figure.

But man, if I could pick one "Hollywood" fighting style that would ideologically be perfect for my philosophy, it'd be the one where this chill monk dude just steps to one side and lets some flailing maniac go flying into a wall, or uses his own momentum to toss him across the room with one simple-seeming motion and little apparent effort. It would be heckin' sweet to be able to do that! But all it takes is for somebody to have a gun, and... Game over. No matter how tough you are, somebody can take you out, either by superior force or just plain luck. So I'd rather avoid all of that and play it smart if I can.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:06 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah I mean...it's not that I have no interest in martial arts. I just have practically no interest in violence. And while there are occasions where a person can be minding their own business and be a victim of crime, I feel like when it comes to physical threats, the guys I've known who go around READY for violence are the ones who are more often involved in it happening at all.

So when it comes to protecting myself and my property at home, I'm more apt to choose my home carefully, install thoroughly considered security systems as needed, and insure the hell out of everything. Not so much my ol' Ex-man and his "I'm going to booby-trap the yard and get lots of guns and tell everybody how big & bad a killer I am all the time" mindset.

But martial arts... I would like some good holistic, healthful practices that help me be calm and mindful and fit. Also, I often feel kind of clumsy in my body, and would really like to do some kind of activity that makes me feel more in control of it, more balanced and graceful. And I just really don't want to push my luck allowing myself to get out of shape as I cruise into middle age, here. I'm lucky so far, a rare specimen for either side of my family to have not gained a lot of weight despite not putting effort into diet or exercise, but that luck ain't likely to hold out forever, I figure.

But man, if I could pick one "Hollywood" fighting style that would ideologically be perfect for my philosophy, it'd be the one where this chill monk dude just steps to one side and lets some flailing maniac go flying into a wall, or uses his own momentum to toss him across the room with one simple-seeming motion and little apparent effort. It would be heckin' sweet to be able to do that! But all it takes is for somebody to have a gun, and... Game over. No matter how tough you are, somebody can take you out, either by superior force or just plain luck. So I'd rather avoid all of that and play it smart if I can.
Weng Chun is all about using another person's strengths against them. There is a huge mental aspect to it. Its also pretty good exercise. It has this entire ethic of avoiding confrontation and violence where you can. Its kind of the anti Krav Maga where you are learning that to try to figure out how to kick someone's ass as quickly as possible by any means that might work in a given situation with very little mental aspect to it other than just trying to win.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:43 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post

Way to totally miss the point… again.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:14 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Lol if he did, then I guess I did, too.

/shrug... Whatevs. I hope y'all are having a good weekend.

Ours is going alright. We got all the stuff out of the Tucson storage unit so my father in law can stop paying them $300/month. One mission accomplished!

Old 12-12-2021, 05:29 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,280,819 times
Do you know that feeling when you've been sick a long time then you feel better and its like "ooohhhhhh yeaaahhhh." Well I've just got done being sick for two weeks and I'm totally in that zone!

I had fever, body aches, chills, headache (bizarre ones), loss of appetite, and the most horrible cough. The cough was by far the worst part of it.

There were days I just accepted I'm gonna die. Days curled in a fetal position crying for mama. Days of delirium. Fever dreams. Non stop self-flagellation for thinking I could pull through this on my own.

Then on the 14th day......what can this be......behold, I feel ok!

Like just feeling ok is like.....clouds parting! It feels amazing.

I'm going to find out if it was covid with an antibody test. Truly dont know what else it could have been.

Covid is no fun, you dont want it. But if it was and I have antibodies now then I consider it very much worth it to have gone through it.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:39 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Do you know that feeling when you've been sick a long time then you feel better and its like "ooohhhhhh yeaaahhhh." Well I've just got done being sick for two weeks and I'm totally in that zone!

I had fever, body aches, chills, headache (bizarre ones), loss of appetite, and the most horrible cough. The cough was by far the worst part of it.

There were days I just accepted I'm gonna die. Days curled in a fetal position crying for mama. Days of delirium. Fever dreams. Non stop self-flagellation for thinking I could pull through this on my own.

Then on the 14th day......what can this be......behold, I feel ok!

Like just feeling ok is like.....clouds parting! It feels amazing.

I'm going to find out if it was covid with an antibody test. Truly dont know what else it could have been.

Covid is no fun, you dont want it. But if it was and I have antibodies now then I consider it very much worth it to have gone through it.
Wow--I'm glad that you're back "among the living," Moongirl!

If you did, indeed, have the 'vid, be aware that sometimes it can swing back around after you think it's through with you. I had it early on in the pandemic (pretty much every symptom that you described as well as the worst fatigue that I've ever had plus some serious shortness of breath and wheezing).

I was as sick as a dog for about two weeks (was literally crawling to the bathroom and down/up stairs whenever I absolutely had to do so), then suddenly felt, as you wrote, the "clouds parting," then *BAM!*--back down i went for another month. Well over eighteen months later, I still haven't gotten my usual energy back as well as a few other persistent symptoms.

Take it easy, be gentle to yourself as you recover, and hopefully you'll be fully back up to your usual speed within a month or so.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:57 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,280,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Wow--I'm glad that you're back "among the living," Moongirl!

If you did, indeed, have the 'vid, be aware that sometimes it can swing back around after you think it's through with you. I had it early on in the pandemic (pretty much every symptom that you described as well as the worst fatigue that I've ever had plus some serious shortness of breath and wheezing).

I was as sick as a dog for about two weeks (was literally crawling to the bathroom and down/up stairs whenever I absolutely had to do so), then suddenly felt, as you wrote, the "clouds parting," then *BAM!*--back down i went for another month. Well over eighteen months later, I still haven't gotten my usual energy back as well as a few other persistent symptoms.

Take it easy, be gentle to yourself as you recover, and hopefully you'll be fully back up to your usual speed within a month or so.
Oh my goodness, thats awful!

I forgot to mention the fatigue. I laid in bed or on couch all day. Had to drag myself around to do anything. And got out of breath really fast.

I'm definitely not pushing it. Still feel kinda.... fragile. But at least I can eat something and manage to sit upright and not sleep all day.

Thank you for the warnings! I think taking it easy is great advice.

I admit I'm surprised it hit me as hard as it did but I must remember I'm NOT in my 20s. Kinda getting to an upper age now.

This disease is no joke, thats the truth.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:49 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
Oh my goodness, thats awful!

I forgot to mention the fatigue. I laid in bed or on couch all day. Had to drag myself around to do anything. And got out of breath really fast.

I'm definitely not pushing it. Still feel kinda.... fragile. But at least I can eat something and manage to sit upright and not sleep all day.

Thank you for the warnings! I think taking it easy is great advice.

I admit I'm surprised it hit me as hard as it did but I must remember I'm NOT in my 20s. Kinda getting to an upper age now.

This disease is no joke, thats the truth.
Not a joke, indeed! The only other time that I'd been ever remotely close to being that ill is when I had the flu nearly a decade ago. Back then, I had a husband to help me out at home and an assistant to keep work rolling along. Fortunately, I keep a well-stocked pantry (and am a bit of a light preppier) and have a partner who left things as needed on the front porch once the world had opened up a bit. I hope that you had someone who could do the same for you.

I think that you and I are around the same age with a similar lack of health concerns that compound the severity of the illness, so in a way, you're one of the lucky ones. (Not that it hasn't struck down otherwise young and healthy people, but starting with a healthy body definitely tilts that balance in one's favor.) You're going to feel fragile for a while. The breathlessness passed for me in time and my appetite eventually returned, but the fatigue has had a way of sticking around. My mind's still fuzzier than it used to be, but that, too, is starting to finally improve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships