Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2020, 08:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times

Advertisements

Long day. Most of it was spent investigating and paperwork. Tomorrow will be a rinse and repeat day. I could use a shower and a bite to eat. There comes a point where you need to walk away for a bit, take a break and regroup and tackle it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 11:34 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Long day. Most of it was spent investigating and paperwork. Tomorrow will be a rinse and repeat day. I could use a shower and a bite to eat. There comes a point where you need to walk away for a bit, take a break and regroup and tackle it again.
SD, my friend, don't overwork yourself. You don't want to get rundown. Keep your good health & stay strong... get enough relax time & enjoy your time off work...
Be Safe.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:41 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I think we got that Sea.
Bueno...

Old 07-19-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
SD, my friend, don't overwork yourself. You don't want to get rundown. Keep your good health & stay strong... get enough relax time & enjoy your time off work...
Be Safe.
I am good about that. The streets now compared to ten years ago is hugely different. It is vastly reduced. Now, it is taking my time, being methodical and getting it right.

I like my downtime. For a few days, then I am ready to resume what I am doing.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:50 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times
I faced an ethical conundrum today. As I have said I am replumbing my bathroom (and my kitchen while I'm at it) so I have been making endless trips to various hardware and tool stores, often returning things that are wrong for whatever reason (I am a novice and learning as I go).

Today I returned something to a shop. I had the item and receipt. I had purchased three items on the receipt and was returning one item. As it turns out, the cashier refunded me for the wrong item which gave me a profit of $20.

As she was handing the bills out to me and only then I realized what had happened, I honestly debated to myself for those 5 seconds or so, do I say something? But, I also thought, if I did, I would embarrass the cashier (she must be new to not realize she refunded the wrong item), I would hold up the line (a line was already formed and this was the only check stand open), they seemed understaffed as it was, it would cause a whole mess.

So, I took the extra $20 and left.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:13 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Killed the weekend house hunting in NC and about to kill another one doing the same after work on Thursday. I found a complex I really liked but the commute may be too much to overcome. One thing I’m definitely happy about is being in the land of Bojangles, the restaurant. Their chicken biscuit was like heaven yesterday. Lol.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:37 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Doing much better today after finding some people to talk with/to about what's going on in my world. Seriously, I think that there should be an equivalent of the VFW for those of us in my line of work as it's really hard to explain things to "civilians." They just don't get what drives us and why we do what we do despite the many very apparent drawbacks. Goodness knows there are easier ways to make a buck! (That's why I deleted yesterday's post as I didn't want to deal with the expected replies of "you need therapy!" and "do something different!" as those would have been been quite unhelpful. Folks who don't have a true vocation just don't get what drives those of us who do.)

Combine my career with my personality type (INTJ) and a heavy dose of depression/anxiety and things can get internally nasty while appearing to be relatively normal on the surface until....crack! The barriers provided by compartmentalization are broken. I was also getting a bit burnt out prior to the COVID meltdown, but was refreshed, ready, and very willing to jump back into a modified version of my work life when I received word that the workplace was on serious life support due to recent events here in Pennsylvania. No definite word on when or if ever I'd be recalled to work. Wages at the few gigs that are available sit at 1990s pay rates with no benefits. All of the surface optimism and positivity that I'd been able to maintain for the past four months vanished, hence the deep and sudden depression.

Shed lots of tears, did plenty of soul searching, little movement from the sofa, let alone the house yesterday before finally reaching out for some help from a few former colleagues and my renter (who's also in the same line of work, albeit much further down the food chain).

Long story short, I've decided to take a break from my career for the next year or until things settle down a bit. I have an offer on the table to do something in a totally different line of work that should pay enough to cover my overhead and hopefully, allow me to be able to tuck a bit into savings as is my usual habit. I wasn't in the headspace to accept the offer when it came, but I think that I'm ready to take it on with a bit of enthusiasm and gratitude rather than resignation.

All of that being said,today I was able to peel myself off the couch, shower, and start tackling some of the items of my list. I'm usually goal driven (but a bit of a perfectionist--*sigh*), so even getting some small tasks accomplished should help with my overall outlook.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 07-20-2020 at 12:09 PM..

Old 07-20-2020, 01:32 PM

What is/was your career, twenty?

Old 07-20-2020, 08:47 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
I am on a medical leave from work (nothing serious), even though we are now working at home.

Gotta admit, it's been nice.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:48 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I am on a medical leave from work (nothing serious), even though we are now working at home.

Gotta admit, it's been nice.
When I went to UCR we were able to get the best street tacos ever... in Mo Valley. Right on old 215 Frontage road and Alessandro Blvd. seso ( brain) lingua ( tongue) and the normal carne asada and carnitas. Yum! I miss that little van with the grill in the back.
Hope you feel better soon...

Last edited by Sydney123; 07-20-2020 at 11:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships