Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 09:34 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
you just reminded me, last week the gardener quoted $900 to trim one tree in front of my house. the kicker? I never asked for a quote, never said I wanted the tree trimmed.
Jeez, that's odd. Wonder what that was about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 11:06 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Congrats on the nuptials, Sonic
Hey, thanks!

I have been gone a bit. I was OVERWHELMED! I was trying to plan for the wedding, with all the moving parts going on there and working hard to finish the wedding dress that I insisted (why, I sometimes wonder?) on hand sewing...on top of that, a huge work project has been occupying much of my time. This thing...it will take about a year, and I've been told that I can have as much overtime as I want until it's done. Cue the guy from Idiocracy saying, "I like money." So I've been banging away on that. Then on top of those things, like that wasn't enough, my youngest has had some serious mental health issues going on, that have required me to divert a lot of my bandwidth to helping him.

But! Both of my sons are moving out next week into an apartment in a student housing complex, and the wedding went really well, and life is pretty good here.

And we're now a couple of weeks out from the wedding, which is the most social interaction I've done since March, and no one got sick, so I'm calling that a WIN! We did try to be pretty careful, though.

I wanted to pop in and share a photo to at least show off my wedding dress. I cropped the faces out, mainly because my fella is not on social media and does not like photos of his face shared online, so I want to respect his privacy preferences. But if any of you that I talk to directly, since I feel like some of us are friends going back years and all, would like to see a few more of the pictures, I would consider emailing them if you DM me. They turned out really good!

Old 08-11-2020, 11:33 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Welcome back and congratulations on your marriage! Your dress is beautiful and suits you well.

It's also good to hear that you're doing well (even as you're overwhelmed with life and work stuff) and that your sons (particularly your younger child) are setting their respective feet on the path to adult independence. They are lucky to have the mother that they do in you.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:24 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Sonic, that dress is STUNNING! Love the small details and the accents.

Congratulations on your marriage!

Old 08-11-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Sonic, that dress is STUNNING! Love the small details and the accents.

Congratulations on your marriage!
Thank you!

I'm feeling the way artists often feel about projects...there are still things I want to add to it. I am probably going to keep working on it, and wear it again for a renewal of vows party next year. I'm hoping that by then, it will be safe to gather in larger numbers, so we can celebrate with more of our friends.

I discovered a neat technique, that I wish I'd discovered sooner. All the ruffles are silk, and what I found was that if I burned the edges, it gave it a cool appearance, with an "antique paper" edging effect and it also made the fabric ruffle up on its own, the bottom bits were like that, higher up I was sewing edges and different colors of silk together, which was far more time consuming.

But in terms of sewing projects...many of my other projects involved leather, or patches, and it is far nicer to hand sew velvets and silks. Nowhere near the effort pushing the needle through the material.

A few days ago, I actually gave away my sewing machine to a lady I know who is making masks. There's no point in me owning one, if I'm not even going to bother to learn to use it for a project like this. I like doing it by hand too much. But I couldn't even begin to guess how many hours I put into this. A lot.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:57 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,311,374 times
Sonic the dress looks gorgeous! I am genuinely impressed with how it turned out Your husband really is a lucky man. I am jealous but not resentful.

I wish you both much happiness! I am so happy for both of you!

Old 08-11-2020, 03:27 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Thank you!

I'm feeling the way artists often feel about projects...there are still things I want to add to it. I am probably going to keep working on it, and wear it again for a renewal of vows party next year. I'm hoping that by then, it will be safe to gather in larger numbers, so we can celebrate with more of our friends.

I discovered a neat technique, that I wish I'd discovered sooner. All the ruffles are silk, and what I found was that if I burned the edges, it gave it a cool appearance, with an "antique paper" edging effect and it also made the fabric ruffle up on its own, the bottom bits were like that, higher up I was sewing edges and different colors of silk together, which was far more time consuming.

But in terms of sewing projects...many of my other projects involved leather, or patches, and it is far nicer to hand sew velvets and silks. Nowhere near the effort pushing the needle through the material.

A few days ago, I actually gave away my sewing machine to a lady I know who is making masks. There's no point in me owning one, if I'm not even going to bother to learn to use it for a project like this. I like doing it by hand too much. But I couldn't even begin to guess how many hours I put into this. A lot.
The ruffles are amazing. I am seriously impressed!

Old 08-11-2020, 03:31 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,283,159 times
Hi Sonic! Thank you for posting the photo! I cant see your faces but you and your husband look so great together!! I can see the love just from how you fit, your body languages. What an awesome wedding photo!

I wish many happy years of marital bliss for both of you!

And your dress is very unique and gorgeous!

Old 08-11-2020, 03:39 PM

Thank you all so much!

The food though. OMG the food. I can't say enough about the food. I'd spent months in my high-stress mode of just eating whatever was "easy" to grab and scarf down, often while distracting myself with a book because there was no joy in what I was stuffing my face with. Under those circumstances, I eat only because I have to and I want to hurry up and get it done so I can go back to the important stuff I'm working on. Frozen pizza. Hot dogs. Mac & cheese. Ramen. Cereal. Sad food.

I was having NONE of that during the 5 days we were away. I got fancy pastries and fancy bread (warm baguettes! Challah!) and fancy cheese and fancy olive oil and fancy crackers and we had this grilled bison with a red wine glaze and pork loin with pears and apple butter and everything was amazing. Just good...REAL...food. Oh and there were some vegetables. I don't eat vegetables, so I don't know but there were skewers involved. The couple that I used to poly around with back in 2015-2016, the husband is a skilled chef guy and he did a lot of our cooking. And when he wasn't doing that, he played guitar and they sang for us. Those two are like our closest family friends since then, so they spent the time with us up at the cabin. We all needed to get away and relax, and we did.

Oh and there were tons and tons of hummingbirds everywhere. And chipmunks.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 PM

316 posts, read 170,848 times
Sonic

Ok I don't know you, but I love weddings, there is so much hope and enthusiasm about beginning your lives together. So nice to meet you and congrats on getting married I am happy for both of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships