Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 03:02 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I was in Phoenix last week, but I'm back in Colorado for a couple of weeks now. I got access to my new apartment, put in a few work orders that I very much hope are done by the time we get back down there, and did a whooole lot of cleaning and errands. Got my new driver's license and registration squared away, mail put on a hold, bought some stuff. I had wanted to check out the pool, it's truly a gorgeous pool, but at the end of each day I was just exhausted and went to bed instead...on the last day, I decided "I'm gonna get in this thing once before I go back" and I tried, but it was closed. I'm guessing I just had bad luck, like it's supposed to be open 24 hours but I'm sure they have to close it sometimes for cleaning and chemical maintenance and such. The drive down there and back in my new car was fun! I especially enjoyed zipping down the mountainy switchbacks north and northeast of the city.

My first night there was not great, though. I arrived the day before I was set to pick up keys to the new place, and I'd booked myself a cheap hotel... /sigh... I mean, I was trying to save a few bucks but I figured getting some rest and a shower before I showed up at the leasing office was a good idea, you know? Hm. Well, sometimes ya get what ya pay for. The place was so disgusting I slept with all of the bright lights on in the room because I thought "no way is this place not full of bugs, they're just waiting for darkness to crawl out of hiding." Bad water damage to floors everywhere, a nasty smell, gum on the floor, broken furniture and every surface was sticky, just for starters. The bedding looked...LOOKED...clean... and the shower was alright... But that just tells me they have a decent supply of bleach. But I did not feel unsafe, though. Grossed out, but not unsafe. The people I encountered didn't give me a "sketchy scary people" vibe, more of a "folks down on their luck" or "transient workers needing a few hours of sleep" vibe. In fact I'd say every human I encountered on my trip was really nice.

I am looking forward eagerly to having this move over with.
Yikes. I had a similar experience when I went apartment hunting in Charlotte in July. Got a hotel room, unknown to me, was right next to an awful part of Charlotte. The neighborhood was called “Hidden Valley” and after that stay I’m going to stay hidden from that neighborhood myself. Had a dead roach discovered when I got back from a show. Unfortunately, I had to fill up the next morning from a near empty tank and was very much creeped out by some people around. Even more than North Durham which I was leaving because of issues with crime. Thankfully, I’m moving to the total opposite part of town from this neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 04:08 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yikes. I had a similar experience when I went apartment hunting in Charlotte in July. Got a hotel room, unknown to me, was right next to an awful part of Charlotte. The neighborhood was called “Hidden Valley” and after that stay I’m going to stay hidden from that neighborhood myself. Had a dead roach discovered when I got back from a show. Unfortunately, I had to fill up the next morning from a near empty tank and was very much creeped out by some people around. Even more than North Durham which I was leaving because of issues with crime. Thankfully, I’m moving to the total opposite part of town from this neighborhood.
Yeah, I did not SEE any bugs. But I didn't trust it, you know?

So there I was, lights on, hell I kept my CLOTHES on. And I just pulled the sheet up over my head to sleep, and I kept waking in the night, the white sheets with the bright light, I still saw no bugs.

Looked under the mattresses, too, saw no bugs. But I was paranoid. Just because so much else about the place was naaaasssty. I even put my bags and stuff back in my car.

I would not sit in the desk chair, it was covered with not just food crumbs but it looked like dried ketchup splattered on the back. I didn't want to walk with bare feet because it felt like a sticky film was on the floor. Maybe it was some kind of bug bomb or something? lol The nightstand looked like a dog had tried to eat it.

I woke up really early, took a long shower, and I still had an hour and a half before I was supposed to go to the leasing office for my new place, so I checked out and just sat in my car scrolling Facebook and playing Solitaire on my phone, killing time. Better to kill time in my car than in that hotel room...

But yeah, living with bugs, that's one of those, "if you've ever really been poor, you NEVER forget" things. I've been there. A long time ago, sure, but still. I didn't want to bring any unwelcome stowaways to my new home, that's for sure.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:19 PM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, I did not SEE any bugs. But I didn't trust it, you know?

So there I was, lights on, hell I kept my CLOTHES on. And I just pulled the sheet up over my head to sleep, and I kept waking in the night, the white sheets with the bright light, I still saw no bugs.

Looked under the mattresses, too, saw no bugs. But I was paranoid. Just because so much else about the place was naaaasssty. I even put my bags and stuff back in my car.

I would not sit in the desk chair, it was covered with not just food crumbs but it looked like dried ketchup splattered on the back. I didn't want to walk with bare feet because it felt like a sticky film was on the floor. Maybe it was some kind of bug bomb or something? lol The nightstand looked like a dog had tried to eat it.

I woke up really early, took a long shower, and I still had an hour and a half before I was supposed to go to the leasing office for my new place, so I checked out and just sat in my car scrolling Facebook and playing Solitaire on my phone, killing time. Better to kill time in my car than in that hotel room...

But yeah, living with bugs, that's one of those, "if you've ever really been poor, you NEVER forget" things. I've been there. A long time ago, sure, but still. I didn't want to bring any unwelcome stowaways to my new home, that's for sure.
Oh, yikes. I've stayed in motels that maybe weren't that bad, but I immediately threw the bedspread on the floor because I knew that hadn't been washed ever, and I just hoped that the sheets had been bleached at some point. Then you lie in bed wondering what this room would look like under a black light.

Old 08-30-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Oh, yikes. I've stayed in motels that maybe weren't that bad, but I immediately threw the bedspread on the floor because I knew that hadn't been washed ever, and I just hoped that the sheets had been bleached at some point. Then you lie in bed wondering what this room would look like under a black light.
Yeah I was pretty sure that the sheets had been well bleached. And at first I thought that the tub was dirty, but it wasn't, it was damaged. Like when a metal tub has the white surface of it badly damaged, you know...but it was obvious where they made liberal use of bleach.

I had a relative ask me why I didn't go to the front desk and complain and ask for a better room.

I'm pretty sure that there weren't any better rooms, for one thing. I doubt it would have accomplished anything other than annoying the very nice lady at the front desk over things that are not her fault.

So I was like well...either I deal with this for one night, or I accept that I'm out the cost of the room and go stay somewhere else and pay even more... I'll cope.

I was actually far more annoyed that parts of my new apartment had not been cleaned to my standards, because unlike the hotel room...the apartment is NOT cheap. But it wasn't anything I couldn't handle for the most part. I've got work orders in for the dryer not working and two leaking faucets and some kind of piece of hard plastic stuck in the disposal that I couldn't get a grip on to yank out (need a long pair of pliers or something.)

And yeah, I mean...it was 105-110 degrees every day, sure. But somehow it didn't feel truly intolerable to me. I think I'll be OK. I do like that we have cicadas in the trees outside the apartment. I've always liked the sound of cicadas and we don't really have 'em in Colorado Springs.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:52 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I wonder if others on the west coast have been having problems accessing CD. Using my work laptop I'm on a VPN that routes through Texas so I haven't noticed a problem. I know that using my tablet and Mrs. Chow's laptop, CD hasn't been coming up for about a day or so now.

Kind of weird.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:42 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Chow, I was at work until just recently - I had no trouble accessing CD when I got home. You know where I live

Old 08-31-2021, 05:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
I haven’t noticed anything, Chow. But I’ve been on the road and mostly away from here.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:52 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wonder if others on the west coast have been having problems accessing CD. Using my work laptop I'm on a VPN that routes through Texas so I haven't noticed a problem. I know that using my tablet and Mrs. Chow's laptop, CD hasn't been coming up for about a day or so now.

Kind of weird.
When i have the VPN turned on, i can't get on CD, i can't watch movies, i can't get on Craigslist, i can't get on any website.
When the VPN is turned off, i can get on all websites & can watch movies (stream), without any problems.

Yes, it sure is weird.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:02 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Wednesday!

This week seems to be dragging, but the days go by fast. How does that even make sense? LOL!

Hi to all of you, hope you are doing good.

Old 09-01-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Wednesday!

This week seems to be dragging, but the days go by fast. How does that even make sense? LOL!

Hi to all of you, hope you are doing good.
LOL this guy is the embodiment of all things office work. Love this character so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tenjwlnxsY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships