Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2023, 09:49 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a mild fan of boxing. I remember watching Tyson back in the day with the pay per views. He'd go in the ring and just handle business. I remember one fight, forget with who, but only went like 90 seconds and I remember everyone what just mad as hell about spending so much money to see it and have it be over so quickly.

Then you have the MMA which can be a pretty brutal sport especially comparing to boxing. Boxing is more measured, these MMA guys don't stop pounding on you even after you've been knocked out. The refs have to pull them off of the guy half the damn time.

Then now you have this slap fight thing which to me is strange. You have a couple of guys standing face to face, one guy has his arms down, or behind his back and the other dude just wallops the hell out of the guys face with an open-handed smack. I'm just like WTH is the point in this really. I mean the goal is to not get knocked out, but man, doesn't seem very sporty or skilled based to me.

Saw this clip of these two big beefy fat dudes doing this. Both men had to be pushing 290 or more. The slapper takes a couple of pre smack moves to orient himself and then lets the hammer go. This guy drops like a sack of taters, I mean he was out before he hit the ground. The other guy is walking around the ring taking victory laps. The vid goes on for about another 30 seconds or so and the guy on the floor had a couple of people there looking him over and this dude was just knocked out. Most of the time when you get your bell rung you may be just out for a few seconds or so, and sort of start to get your bearings, not this time.

I don't really understand the appeal of the slap thing. It seems like it should have just been an episode of Jackass or whatever that show was called.

Many people are appalled by it. I remember how a lot of people back in the day thought boxing was bad, boxing is pretty mild next to this.

Strange as to what is considered entertainment these days, but I supposed you could probably say the same thing about the lions and the Christians.
Tyson was a savage! I am really surprised that he didn’t kill anyone. I’ve seen videos of his knockouts on YouTube … scary! I like to watch boxing and MMA. I really liked to watch Canelo Alvarez and Ryan Garcia fight. I love watching those videos of guys showboating during the weigh in and then gettin their butts handed to them when it becomes fight time.
I like watching female MMA fighters like Rose Namajunas, the Shevchenko sisters, Joann Jedrzejczyk, and
Zhang Weili… just to name a few.
Andre has been practicing MMA for about 15 years and I like to watch him fight or spar. I am waiting for him to bring home boxing gloves for the twins. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 04:44 PM

40,954 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Have you noticed how CD does not have near the traffic it had maybe 5-10 years ago ? The last post here was 2 weeks ago which would have been unusual.

Guess there are so many other options today.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:45 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
I noticed that as well, though I’m one of those who used to be at this thread fairly regularly.

The reasons for me not coming here as often are varied. I’m getting old and everything else takes longer to get done. I don’t have much of a life (other than still working), so I don’t have much to say that isn’t repeating itself. Other than THIS thread, so may others are depressing for so many reasons. And just when I start reading this thread again, I feel so far behind and haven’t offered support, and that makes me feel like a *******.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:20 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
I can relate to those that are busy.

I don't always have a lot to offer as far as advice most of the time, but I do lurk and read the threads. Especially the more amusing ones!

Old 07-24-2023, 11:00 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
Believe it or not (because I still do SOME engagement with those who seem to be out to bait me, now and then)...I used to engage in a ton more back and forth in the threads with antagonistic posters. But we had, at some point, a bit of a crackdown on bickering. And I started to wake up to the reality that after a certain point I'm just looking for different words and more words, to explain the exact same idea that I have been repeating since my first post...and when I note that seems to be happening, it's really time to stop. It's OK if some other person gets in the last word. I said my piece. Some will agree and some won't. All good.

I think that accounts for much of my decreased "engagement." But I don't think it's worth going back to risking infractions just to increase the busyness of the forum. /shrug.

Sadly though, I guess, some of my old favorite posters dropped off a long time ago, too. People I used to actively WANT to engage in conversations with. I hope because their lives got better and more satisfying and they got busy in good ways.

I was busy in a good way for the last week and a half, we went to Richmond and Williamsburg in VA then to Hatteras in NC. It was a GLORIOUS vacation. I've been craving some beach time for years!

While I was gone, I tried to solve a problem, and was not able to... We're still trying to move stuff from the estate of my father in law. And we are stuck with this massive, heavy custom built hutch. It takes up a whole wall, it's huge, and the top half does not come off like most china hutch display type units. This sort of furniture is way out of style and I can't even give it away. Secondhand furniture stores, social media marketplace type things, even thrift stores...no one wants it. So after all the failed attempts over the phone while out of town, I decided yesterday I would attempt to "decommission it" myself, before I went the route of paying the junk guys to come take it. I removed the shelves, drawers, and hardware. I pulled off panels that covered the top and back. Removed two fluorescent light tubes from the top. After that though...it's defeated us. I don't own a sledge hammer and I could lay it on its face and jump around on it and nothing would happen. I can't even see screws to remove to start taking it apart, the wood was puzzle pieced in layers, tightly together, you can't even see the fastenings...it's just too well made. I am not able to destroy it with the tools and capabilities I have. So we'll have to get the junk guys to come after all, which sucks. I was hoping at least perhaps I could avoid paying to have it disposed of.

Wild though, when I went on the websites I found that here in Phoenix there are TONS of antique furniture pieces being given away free or sold for next to nothing. If I weren't planning a move back to Colorado, I'd look at getting some of them, but since we're not settling to stay here, I don't want to accumulate more stuff here. This would be a hell of a good place for people looking to do business as "pickers" or buying storage units or something, if they could take the stuff they got and truck it elsewhere for sale. The market here is a buyer's smorgasbord of people trying to get rid of nice stuff.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:20 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Have you noticed how CD does not have near the traffic it had maybe 5-10 years ago ? The last post here was 2 weeks ago which would have been unusual.

Guess there are so many other options today.
I used to always be on the Relationships forum. I'm finding myself on other parts of the forum more these days. Something just sort of clicked in me and now whenever I'm on the relationships forum it feels like most of the threads just don't seem real. So many feel inauthentic, to me at least. The POC forum for one, even if you don't like the subjects, most of the time they are rooted in real subject matter, largely speaking.

So many stories here in Relationships just don't seem to jive with how I see people in the world operate.

Old 07-25-2023, 05:00 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Believe it or not (because I still do SOME engagement with those who seem to be out to bait me, now and then)...I used to engage in a ton more back and forth in the threads with antagonistic posters. But we had, at some point, a bit of a crackdown on bickering. And I started to wake up to the reality that after a certain point I'm just looking for different words and more words, to explain the exact same idea that I have been repeating since my first post...and when I note that seems to be happening, it's really time to stop. It's OK if some other person gets in the last word. I said my piece. Some will agree and some won't. All good.

I think that accounts for much of my decreased "engagement." But I don't think it's worth going back to risking infractions just to increase the busyness of the forum. /shrug.

Sadly though, I guess, some of my old favorite posters dropped off a long time ago, too. People I used to actively WANT to engage in conversations with. I hope because their lives got better and more satisfying and they got busy in good ways.

I was busy in a good way for the last week and a half, we went to Richmond and Williamsburg in VA then to Hatteras in NC. It was a GLORIOUS vacation. I've been craving some beach time for years!

While I was gone, I tried to solve a problem, and was not able to... We're still trying to move stuff from the estate of my father in law. And we are stuck with this massive, heavy custom built hutch. It takes up a whole wall, it's huge, and the top half does not come off like most china hutch display type units. This sort of furniture is way out of style and I can't even give it away. Secondhand furniture stores, social media marketplace type things, even thrift stores...no one wants it. So after all the failed attempts over the phone while out of town, I decided yesterday I would attempt to "decommission it" myself, before I went the route of paying the junk guys to come take it. I removed the shelves, drawers, and hardware. I pulled off panels that covered the top and back. Removed two fluorescent light tubes from the top. After that though...it's defeated us. I don't own a sledge hammer and I could lay it on its face and jump around on it and nothing would happen. I can't even see screws to remove to start taking it apart, the wood was puzzle pieced in layers, tightly together, you can't even see the fastenings...it's just too well made. I am not able to destroy it with the tools and capabilities I have. So we'll have to get the junk guys to come after all, which sucks. I was hoping at least perhaps I could avoid paying to have it disposed of.

Wild though, when I went on the websites I found that here in Phoenix there are TONS of antique furniture pieces being given away free or sold for next to nothing. If I weren't planning a move back to Colorado, I'd look at getting some of them, but since we're not settling to stay here, I don't want to accumulate more stuff here. This would be a hell of a good place for people looking to do business as "pickers" or buying storage units or something, if they could take the stuff they got and truck it elsewhere for sale. The market here is a buyer's smorgasbord of people trying to get rid of nice stuff.
When you sell the house, sell it with HUTCH being part of the house.

When my beloved Mom passed on. she had a beautiful hardwood entertainment center which covered one whole wall in her Family Room. We sold the house with it included. The folks who bought the house loved the entertainment center...

Old 07-25-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
When you sell the house, sell it with HUTCH being part of the house.

When my beloved Mom passed on. she had a beautiful hardwood entertainment center which covered one whole wall in her Family Room. We sold the house with it included. The folks who bought the house loved the entertainment center...
It is too late for that. In removing the shelves, which were thick slabs of beveled glass, I damaged the fancy velvet fabric that covers the inside walls of the three shelf compartments. Also, it's just not multi purpose enough for most modern people to want it even as part of a house. It is usable for decorative displays, books, but not something like a TV. It limits how anyone could deploy their own furniture in the room. All I'd be doing is leaving something that another person would then have to figure out how to get rid of...and meanwhile we can't get the painting properly done or the floors, with it sitting there.

I think that its total undesirability in today's tastes is pretty much the same reason that younger generations (my own included) don't want the family china. People just aren't that into hauling around heaps of heirlooms anymore. And it kinda makes sense, with goods being generally available cheap and easy, in contrast to the experiences of my grandparents' generation where it was insane to spend money on something like dishes or furniture if you could use hand me downs and gifts. My Great Aunt had the same household accoutrements she got as wedding gifts in use for pretty much her entire adult life. People don't tend to do that sort of thing anymore.

And we're living in the house for a year or so before we sell most likely, and we don't want it there either.

No, we have passed a point of no return on this thing, it's gotta go. But since we are left having to pay someone to remove the main cabinet portion of it, in a nod to my late father in law and his obsession with recycling, I'm at least having a company that claims to recycle wood items, take it and do that with it. Better than a landfill, I figure, at least if their practices are in reality, what they claim.

So we have that going on later today. The Humane Society thrift store is coming for the lift chair recliner and a set of white particle board modular shelf units, and we have a guy coming to take the refrigerator, who takes old appliances for parts and recycling (it's the last non-stainless steel appliance and the compressor seems to be going out on it, it sounds like there's a mule trapped in it somewhere from time to time, kicking about.) We are getting down to the last of it, and will soon be able to get the workers in to start the projects we want done before we move in.

The way all of this has gone...pretty much exactly what I've been thinking the whole time. There is a scale between "sell a thing for what it's worth" to the other end of, "pay someone to take it away." And an inverse relationship with the time and hassle you have to expend to get or save money. We put in the time where we could, and we have done alright with selling quite a bit of the stuff...but we are running short of time now and have to spend some money and accept some less than optimal outcomes.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:46 AM

My son passed his driving test today! On his first try! I'm so happy for him. He has come such a long way in Job Corps.

Old 07-28-2023, 01:49 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
My son passed his driving test today! On his first try! I'm so happy for him. He has come such a long way in Job Corps.

That's great news!! Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships