Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2023, 02:36 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times

Advertisements

I can barely back up a trailer. I don't have much experience but it's been mostly bad. Probably no trailers in my future as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 02:58 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I can barely back up a trailer. I don't have much experience but it's been mostly bad. Probably no trailers in my future as a result.
We took a little road trip this weekend and, on the highway, saw a nice couple of RV trailers. Thought to myself it would be nice to get a truck in the future and maybe get a trailer, then the reality of having to potentially back that thing up sunk in and those thoughts started to quickly subside. LOL.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:01 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Beef jerky, Mountain Dew, and big truck. “Look what I can do!” That’s why I’ve always thought it was a man thing. My male neighbors backing into their garages as well. No not all men! But same kind of men who’ll be smirking at each other in anticipation while they watch me parallel park, hoping I can’t do it or have to jump the curb. City parking, with blocks of outdoor dining. The entertainment is the drivers.

You’re not thinking way too much about it imo, there’s definitely a psychology behind parking. If my opinion is genderizing though, to be fair it’s only women who have ever sat in their car waiting for my parking spot if I have a good one. When that happens, I pull out my phone, and read city data conversations until one of us is about to expire.
I'm in the camp of those who pretty much always back into parking spots; the car *always* goes down rear-first into my garage. My house's garage is below-grade, front-facing, with a driveway in front of it that's so steep that it has stairs going down the center of it. Fun story: when I first moved into my house, one of the older neighbors watched me do the reverse drop down into the garage. Upon seeing me in the front yard later that day, he walked down to tell me that "you never see a woman do that!" Cracked me up. And yeah, I can back up a vehicle with an attached trailer and am also a champion parallel parker (thanks to my dad for the former and a quarter century of urban living for the latter.) Feel as though I've earned those bragging rights!

Most of the neighbors on my street who have off-street parking/garages also reverse park into their spots. It's just easier to see traffic when leaving, so parking in this manner is for safety as much as anything else.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 05-25-2023 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-26-2023, 10:49 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Every driver should also know how to drive a stick and parallel park.

Just another one of my opinions that nobody asked for. LMAO

Old 05-26-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Every driver should also know how to drive a stick and parallel park.

Just another one of my opinions that nobody asked for. LMAO
Ah, the ol' stick shift. I had three or four cars back in the day with a stick shift. I don't know if you can even get one now. Probably have to special order it I would imagine.

Saw some meme a while back and it was something along the lines of "new security system for your car" and it showed a pic of a stick shift. LOL, kind of corny but I got a chuckle out of it.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:06 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Ah, the ol' stick shift. I had three or four cars back in the day with a stick shift. I don't know if you can even get one now. Probably have to special order it I would imagine.

Saw some meme a while back and it was something along the lines of "new security system for your car" and it showed a pic of a stick shift. LOL, kind of corny but I got a chuckle out of it.

The truth can be a funny thing.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:29 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
I learned to dive using a manual transmission. My dad had me drive up the steepest hill we could find… stop in the middle and start again. About wore out the clutch, but I learned! Lol

Old 05-27-2023, 04:03 PM

It's a lot easier to light the tires up by revving up to about 3k and popping the clutch.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:01 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
I am gettin my pond/swimming hole! A neighbor dropped off his bull dozer so that Andre could do some maintenance on it. He offered to do it for no charge if he could use it to dig a pond for me. I’ve been saying that I want one for a few years now and always got
I hadn’t mentioned if for a while and today he asked me where I wanted it. I’d already scouted outed out an area near our creek where we could use the back hoe to dig a channel to fill it and any overflow would flow back into the creek. After it’s established… I want to add fish. Lol

Old 05-29-2023, 02:29 PM

19,431 posts, read 15,259,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am gettin my pond/swimming hole! A neighbor dropped off his bull dozer so that Andre could do some maintenance on it. He offered to do it for no charge if he could use it to dig a pond for me. I’ve been saying that I want one for a few years now and always got
I hadn’t mentioned if for a while and today he asked me where I wanted it. I’d already scouted outed out an area near our creek where we could use the back hoe to dig a channel to fill it and any overflow would flow back into the creek. After it’s established… I want to add fish. Lol
Sounds nice, Sydney.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone. We've got our flags out in remembrance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships