Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 04:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times

Advertisements

Wow…that took a long time to catch up. Chow you talk alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
We could start a mutual admiration society.
That's a good way for you to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Smart lady. I tried to get the Mr. to leave Long Island ages ago, but at this point we pretty much have to ride it out until retirement. His end of the bargain being that he takes early retirement and we get the hell out... and not succumb to the economic slavery of LI home ownership.
It is crazy there. In the early 90's I had a new house in Manorville out east. That was farm land back then and pretty inexpensive in comparison to the rest of the Island. Now it looks like the city and Suffolk county just keep move east and taking over. It is way to crowded for me.

My in-laws are in their 80's and live in a big house that costs a fortune. The other "sibs" have been trying to find them a smaller house to buy. I told my MIL that maybe they should rent and enjoy some of the money from the house while they can. The sibs don't want that. I think they want "their" investment protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Mrs. Chow's mom is getting pretty old and she doesn't want to leave because of her, which can see. It's much easier for me my mom has passed I have no siblings and my dad already lives out of state. If I were single I probably would have left ten years ago.
That makes it hard. Does Mrs. Chow have any siblings?(well I guess I could ask her, lol) My DH and I worked on all the legal stuff for when we die this week. It's tough getting it all together and thinking about things I'd rather not think about, lol. On a good note…my life is now in a box

Quote:
A couple of hippie slackers, lol.
Ha, ha…Actually I think more people are going to rent or at least share homes. Houses are a lot of expense and upkeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I'm happy where I am. If I were move, it would be Montana, Wyoming or Idaho. Someplace with mountains and rivers.
Beautiful places I love green mountains and lots of water so Montana and Wyoming would be my choice but the winters..ugh, lol.

Quote:
I'd like to end up either back in Vermont, but it will be better financially to live on the New York side of the VT/upstate NY side of the border, because the Mr. pension won't be taxed (NY state employee) if we stay in NY. If I kick off first, he'll end up going down south somewhere, or wherever the kids end up. While if I don't really care where I am as long as there is a proper winter, mountains, a chicken coop, a place to park a VW bus, and a few decent, unpretentious vegetarian restaurants.
Cool…Vermont is beautiful. Have you ever tapped maple trees? They do that around here. I may see how it is done this year When I was a teen I went on a bike trip and rode through Vermont and New Hampshire. I would like to go back with my DH and also go up to Maine which I have never been to.

Quote:
If you can manage to sock a few bucks away hell, you're doing good. I saw some thread over in the POC forum talking about some article stating how 70 percent of people (I think it was) have less than a 1000 bucks in the bank. That would terrify the hell out of me to be that close to losing everything if something major happens. I mean you could be literally out on the streets if some major event happens in your life and you have no one to fall back on.
I wouldn't be able to sleep. Like you I didn't really start saving until my late 20's. MY DH on the other hand always saved. He hides money. When I first moved in with him apparently his ex wife didn't clean. So when I clean I would constantly find hidden money. It was like hitting the jackpot, lol. I do remember when I was a kid he showed me how to hide my money. I had a set of encyclopedias and he told me to put some bills in there and don't tell anyone.

We live in a very poor area where I am now. I went to the local annual rummage sale(I love finding deals) but it was so sad to see people that who had to be there.

Quote:
That's frightening, the thought of having such little emergency funds, but I can definitely see how people get to that point even when they are trying to be wise with money; sometimes all it takes is one moderate setback and the time it takes to rebound. We've been through it a couple of times, and the only reason it wasnt financially devistating is because renting allows us to live below our means. But if we lived somewhere else, owning would have been much more adventageous.
Always live below your means My Dh and I are always about the "what ifs"

Quote:
Some of the steps I've taken in the last couple of years I wish I would have started doing 15 years ago. It's better now than it has been.
Good for you.

Quote:
I think living below your means is the way to go.

You can be cheap and scrimp and all but at some point you have to draw the line and for us that was clipping coupons. I hear you can save a boat load of money if you play your cards right.
There are some things that are worth and some that really aren't. Coupons for me don't usually pan out. They never seem to be my brand, lol. I do love going to yard sale. I look for "newer" jeans and books. I never pay more than $3.00 for a pair of jeans and yesterday I paid 10 cents for books. I am an avid reader so of course I use my library all the time.

I like the hunt for all of that. Now your big savings comes from shopping around for your insurances…do it yearly and also eating at home more.

Quote:
After my divorce and paying off all that bs I had extra money. I paid cash on a better car and pickup. Finally getting the one I wanted and still stashing money away. I buy toys and things I like, and I don't always go the cheap route. I view those things as investments. Tools, computer, camera etc. I buy what I want and like. I may wait before purchasing. But I careful about what I go in to debt on.
Tools…oh yes. My husband knows all about tools. He is over his limit this week. We had to buy tires for the Jeep and he bought a generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Chow, LA sounds like hell. I have decided I will never live east of the Missouri River. If there comes a day we decide to move, we will head west. However, I'd be perfectly happy to stay here. It suits me.
I love the California weather. I spent a month traveling the coast years ago. I rode my bike from San Francisco to San Diego. It was beautiful but is way too expensive. Where are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 09:54 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
My DH and I worked on all the legal stuff for when we die this week. It's tough getting it all together and thinking about things I'd rather not think about, lol. On a good note…my life is now in a box

Always live below your means My Dh and I are always about the "what ifs".
Yeah, it's difficult thinking about mortality, but no one is getting out of it. I am (slowly) getting my stuff together since MG passed away. I have put my daughter on my bank accounts as a co-owner rather than a beneficiary. That way, if I get ill, but am still breathing, she can write checks for bills. Being a beneficiary, I would have to die before she could have control. And she is one of three people that I trust completely. (Me and my mom - who has passed - are the only other two people I trust.)

I stress the importance of having a will to anyone who will listen. MG didn't have one and now I have a mess on my hands. While I wasn't with him for money (he wasn't a Rockefeller after all), his No-Show daughter has taken the money that he left her - and I have paid for the funeral services. The money I saved for improvements for MY house may not get reimbursed. It's okay. I'm not angry that the money is gone, because it was the last nice thing I could do for him. I'm just angry at HER for her attitude.

Anyway, I've been made executor of his estate. It will be another tough time going through his stuff and selling it. I still haven't done it. The attorney is trying to rush me, and I'm dragging my feet. When that is taken care of, I'll work on my will.

Sorry. I got off on a tangent . . .

Last edited by metamorphosis; 08-21-2016 at 10:56 AM..

Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 AM

Just stopping in while I am waiting for my jars to process while canning

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Yeah, it's difficult thinking about mortality, but no one is getting out of it. I am (slowly) getting my stuff together since MG passed away. I have put my daughter on my bank accounts as a co-owner rather than a beneficiary. That way, if I get ill, but am still breathing, she can write checks for bills. Being a beneficiary, I would have to die before she could have control. And she is one of three people that I trust completely. (Me and my mom - who has passed - are the only other two people I trust.)

I stress the importance of having a will to anyone who will listen. MG didn't have one and now I have a mess on my hands. While I wasn't with him for money (he wasn't a Rockefeller after all), his No-Show daughter has taken the money that he left her - and I have paid for the funeral services. The money I saved for improvements for MY house may not get reimbursed. It's okay. I'm not angry that the money is gone, because it was the last nice thing I could do for him. I'm just angry at HER for her attitude.

Anyway, I've been made executor of his estate. It will be another tough time going through his stuff and selling it. I still haven't done it. The attorney is trying to rush me, and I'm dragging my feet. When that is taken care of, I'll work on my will.

Sorry. I got off on a tangent . . .

I am so sorry for your loss and very sorry that his daughter did that to you. Things can get very ugly when people die. You are smart to prepare but you can also do some others things that will help.

Along with a Will you should have a Durable Power Of Attorney. This is for when you are alive but incapacitated(too sick to make a decision, coma, accident, mentally incompetent etc). It gives the person full authority to act on your behalf with everything. It is even more so than having a joint account, which is a good thing you did. It means that they can make decisions and or changes on all of your accounts like phones, loans, insurances, mortgages etc.

You also may want to think about a Living Will. These all normally go together and it makes it so much easier for the ones who have to make decisions for you.

And lastly make sure you have an ICE(In case of emergency) card in your wallet. I also added that if my #1 is not available to contact another person, that I am an organ donor, I want to be cremated, and my blood type. Make sure your daughter knows your final burial wishes. As you know this can be very hard on people.

Yeah…I'm a better safe than sorry kind of gal

OK…sorry to be so morbid and off topic here. If you have any questions I do have some good templates you can use. You just need to make sure what your state requirements are and have them witnessed and notarized.

OK….timers going off.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Wow…that took a long time to catch up. Chow you talk alot

You're the second person to say that. I certainly don't talk much in real life though.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I certainly don't talk much in real life though.

I do, lol.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
You're the second person to say that. I certainly don't talk much in real life though.
It's ok Chow our sign is the only female sign out of 12.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
It's ok Chow our sign is the only female sign out of 12.
How do you know what my sign is??? I don't recall me ever saying it.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
How do you know what my sign is??? I don't recall me ever saying it.
You told me. Lol!
I made a comment about about us pretending to be prudes....and we aren't.
You disagreed. Ms.Chow told me you get freaky.lol!

Old 08-21-2016, 01:24 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times
Quote:

I am so sorry for your loss and very sorry that his daughter did that to you. Things can get very ugly when people die. You are smart to prepare but you can also do some others things that will help.

Along with a Will you should have a Durable Power Of Attorney. This is for when you are alive but incapacitated(too sick to make a decision, coma, accident, mentally incompetent etc). It gives the person full authority to act on your behalf with everything. It is even more so than having a joint account, which is a good thing you did. It means that they can make decisions and or changes on all of your accounts like phones, loans, insurances, mortgages etc.

You also may want to think about a Living Will. These all normally go together and it makes it so much easier for the ones who have to make decisions for you.

And lastly make sure you have an ICE(In case of emergency) card in your wallet. I also added that if my #1 is not available to contact another person, that I am an organ donor, I want to be cremated, and my blood type. Make sure your daughter knows your final burial wishes. As you know this can be very hard on people.

Yeah…I'm a better safe than sorry kind of gal

OK…sorry to be so morbid and off topic here. If you have any questions I do have some good templates you can use. You just need to make sure what your state requirements are and have them witnessed and notarized.

OK….timers going off.
You are right. I have all of those forms and papers set up in my mind. As I said, I have the bank accounts covered, I have the ICE number in my phone, and am a registered donor with the cute little symbol on my drivers license.

It really IS time to pull my head out of the sand, get my ducks in a row and my poop in a pile. I just cut his grass and will be doing mine soon. Excellent day today. My kind of weather (in the 70s). I plan on getting his house painted and pulling out the carpet before selling it. I'm hoping there is hardwood under the carpet . . . I was looking into estate sale services and might go that route rather than try to do it on my own. I'd have to take time off work to do it, so the service might be cost-justified. Opinions are welcome. LOL

Old 08-21-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You told me. Lol!
I made a comment about about us pretending to be prudes....and we aren't.
You disagreed. Ms.Chow told me you get freaky.lol!
Oh... I forgot, you women have memories on ya. Mrs. Chow will pull up some conversation we had 9 years ago and quote me verbatim, apparently, as I usually have no idea what she's talking about, she'll remember what restaurant we were at at the time and what dish we both had and whether or not the pepper boy stopped by our table.

Women are kinda scary that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships