Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:09 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,017,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, as the lynch mob continues to gather steam, let me temper this a bit.

What kind of swastika is this? Because there is the swastika that's a symbol of the Nazi party and there's the swastika that is common symbology among Buddhists. And also in native Americans.
It's already been disclosed that this is not a symbol of anything else but the Nazi party.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
America has always been a country of forgiveness, second chances and acceptance.
Yup. And forgiveness and second chances usually come on the heels of some sort of true atonement and sincere apology.

Quote:
That said, reading this post, seems a swastika is THE MOST OBSCENE symbol on the planet and those that possess such a symbol should be done away with...kinda like the Nazi's did back then.
You are honestly comparing not wanting to date someone who has espoused a particular ideology with genocide?

I'd use the word "hyperbole" here, but that really doesn't even come close...

Quote:
I'd ask the girl, and find out her explanation. I have a butterfly tattoo, in some cultures I'd be persecuted too, but before I am, I'd expect the opportunity to explain myself, if need be, before being cast aside.
You can expect all you want.

Whether you get it is another story entirely.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:05 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Luckily, the US has never done anything bad. Ever.

No Japanese concentration camps during WWII. No killing of Native Americans and infecting them with deadly diseases.

60 million Africans dead at the hands of WHITE US CHRISTIANS. 2.4 million Africans died during the transport to the US.
The estimate of the number killed during the transatlantic slave trade varies anywhere between 6-150 million.

But yeah, the US can point fingers.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

No Japanese concentration camps during WWII. No killing of Native Americans and infecting them with deadly diseases. 60 million Africans dead at the hands of WHITE US CHRISTIANS.
2.4 million Africans died during the transport to the US.

The estimate of the number killed during the transatlantic slave trade varies anywhere between 6-150 million.

How did this become a "US thing"?

Old 02-09-2017, 02:15 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:

No Japanese concentration camps during WWII. No killing of Native Americans and infecting them with deadly diseases.

60 million Africans dead at the hands of WHITE US CHRISTIANS. 2.4 million Africans died during the transport to the US.

It's really more of an issue with the Nazi party. I don't know how many average Germans back then knew of the horrors of what was happening as most of the camps were in remote areas, not making excuses for Germany, but jus sayin, who knows at the end of the day what the average guy on the street knew and even then, it might have been hard to do anything once the Nazi party had the full grasp of all of Germany's resources.

It's about glamourizing any kind of symbol that represents evil and horrible things. That is the core of what is happening in the OP, there were groups throughout history that have committed atrocities, humans can be ugly as hell.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:17 PM

20,767 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's really more of an issue with the Nazi party. I don't know how many average Germans back then knew of the horrors of what was happening as most of the camps were in remote areas, not making excuses for Germany, but jus sayin, who knows at the end of the day what the average guy on the street knew and even then, it might have been hard to do anything once the Nazi party had the full grasp of all of Germany's resources.
Every country has its history, good AND bad.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:17 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:

Aah, the old Tu Quoque fallacy.

Americans are guilty of something so we cannot possibly find the Holocaust abhorrent.

Yes, we can point fingers.

I'm black, honey. Do not preach to me about slavery. If the woman had a Klansman tramp stamp and asked the OP if he ever dated a black woman, my reaction would be the same.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Every country has its history, good AND bad.
Yup. And the moment we describe the bad stuff as "not so bad", or "understandable", is the moment that we, as a society, start down the slippery, scary slope toward history repeating itself.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
It's already been disclosed that this is not a symbol of anything else but the Nazi party.
Maybe 50 times, but don't expect people who aren't offended by the suggestion that you should give a person with a swastika tattoo, asking if you've ever dated a jew, the benefit of the doubt to do the logical thing and read first.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:22 PM

255 posts, read 200,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup. And the moment we describe the bad stuff as "not so bad", or "understandable", is the moment that we, as a society, start down the slippery, scary slope toward history repeating itself.
Gee, sounds a lot like what is going on these days in the US and around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships