Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:48 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,120,068 times

Advertisements

Like some of you know I have been doing some remodeling to the inside of my house, I have just removed the carpet in my office repainted the walls, and I'm now in the process of adding my personality to the room I'm in most often "the office/lab/studio" I made the artwork "all sci-fi themed created by me" I just need to get it printed and framed, with black lights placed around the room.

But here is the problem, someone from my group theory who I was telling about my plans warned me that having a room like that is like woman kryptonite. He also likes the cyberpunk style and has one room decorated in said style while the rest of his house is very functional minimal decor wise. from the photos he showed me I liked his taste. but he said that anytime he has a new woman over he can see a "tsk tsk" look in their eyes when they see that one room. women at the meeting joined in the convo and some kinda agreed that would be a turnoff but none of them could explain why.

Now I'm still going to do that room the way I want to(as in if I ever had a woman move in the rest of the house could reflect her taste), but I am curious for those of you that don't like mancaves why is it an issue?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,354,326 times
From my experience, woman aren't against man caves/games rooms, if they're woman friendly. But what you have going on is opposite of that. For one, you would need nite goggles to navigate (too dark and creepy). Two, what can a woman do in there if she wanted to indulge in some gaming fun with you? or is this room strictly just for you?

Every man-cave/game room Ive designed is meant for more than myself: pool table, full standup 80's old school arcades (i.e. Williams Defender, Donkey Kong, Froggger) darts, jukebox and plenty of lighting and chairs.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
From my experience, woman aren't against man caves/games rooms, if they're woman friendly. But what you have going on is opposite of that. For one, you would need nite goggles to navigate (too dark and creepy).
Lol with all the ambient light my monitors give off?
Primarily yes the room would be for me, but I have had women in there before, when I am lucky enough to date a woman that was into gaming.

But there is a certain theme I'm trying to create as well as mood. and that glowing Krystal on the dest is for navigation light I don't need it do to my photo phobia but it is bright enough for others to see but soft and dim enough not to give me a headache.

Mod cut: Copyrighted image.

Quote:
Two, what can a woman do in there if she wanted to indulge in some gaming fun with you? or is this room strictly just for you?
Well there are 3 computers in the stand that is to the left of the desk the big monitor is on, the screen you see with the matrix code is on a rocker arm mount that slid up and over to the other side of the other 2 monitors, great for co-op gaming.

Quote:
Every man-cave/game room Ive designed is meant for more than myself: pool table, full standup 80's old school arcades (i.e. Williams Defender, Donkey Kong, Froggger) darts, jukebox and plenty of lighting and chairs.
Lol hard for me to go back to 8-bit graphics and the other 2/3 of the room you don't see is shelves for spare computer parts, my synthesizer, guitars on stands, hang down microphone, book shelf and wooden couch(look like a park bench) spray painted black.

and as far as lighting I ordered more black lights on Amazon, and a couple more glowing Krystal lights like the one you see on my desk, with blue bulbs or green.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-22-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 03:53 AM

1,199 posts, read 731,351 times
If you've got her back to your place it doesn't matter, as long as the rest of your place is inviting, stylish, and comfortable. I always have a studio in my place that I work on my DJing. If she thinks it's cool great. If she thinks stupid. I don't care. A woman's opinion of your personal retreat is honestly irrelevant.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:58 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,850 times
Man caves are fine. I loved that my ex husband had one because it meant he didn’t care too much what I did with the rest of the house. Plus, when both people need their own space, it was great.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
If you've got her back to your place it doesn't matter, as long as the rest of your place is inviting, stylish, and comfortable. I always have a studio in my place that I work on my DJing. If she thinks it's cool great. If she thinks stupid. I don't care. A woman's opinion of your personal retreat is honestly irrelevant.
I agree with you for the most part, I was just curious what women saw when they see a man cave.
one woman in the conversation said she had a few dates with a guy that went well and viewed it as a redflag that his gameroom seemed to be the only part of his house he poured himself into, I asked what was wrong with the rest of his house, was he a slob or something? she said no , "it was neat and clean just devoid of spirit".... WTF does that even mean? lol. and of course his game room was more reflective of this guy, it was where he entertained himself..... duh....

Old 01-22-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
Man caves are fine. I loved that my ex husband had one because it meant he didn’t care too much what I did with the rest of the house. Plus, when both people need their own space, it was great.
Agreed lol when he needed his space he was still at home as opposed to at the bar with "the guys" lol.
and I am the same way, when ever a woman lived with ne I gave them the run of the rest of the house and my stuff was safe in one room lol.(women are hard on technology lol) growing up my mother ruined alot of my stuff by moving it around to clean, and she was not as gentle with my stuff as I was lol, when out and about just do a count of how many women vs men have cracked cellphone screens lol.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:11 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,085,230 times
I guess it depends on how much time and money 'the man' spends playing games.

Then again, it could depend on how much anyone else wants 'the man' around, lol.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as you aren't ignoring reality to keep yourself immersed in a world of fantasy and pixels.

I think it could be a big turn off to women to see all your decorative energy poured into your game room while the rest of your home is rather sterile and devoid of personality in comparison.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:17 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
I agree with you for the most part, I was just curious what women saw when they see a man cave.
one woman in the conversation said she had a few dates with a guy that went well and viewed it as a redflag that his gameroom seemed to be the only part of his house he poured himself into, I asked what was wrong with the rest of his house, was he a slob or something? she said no , "it was neat and clean just devoid of spirit".... WTF does that even mean? lol. and of course his game room was more reflective of this guy, it was where he entertained himself..... duh....
For saying you want opinions it doesn't sound like it from your reactions...just go ahead and do whatever...it's your own place. Either she likes it and accepts you or she doesn't - just realize you're not doing anything to HELP her like it.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:02 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
It wouldn't bother me in the least. The only objection I had to my late h's "man cave" was that it was an absolute sty. When he ran out of room in there due to his hoarding he began to take over MY office space - um, no babe. You got yours, leave mine alone! (Especially since his space was twice the size of mine).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships