Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM

602 posts, read 396,288 times

Advertisements

getting the bars off the windows would be step 1....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 01:03 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,120,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfRescuingPrincess View Post
getting the bars off the windows would be step 1....
bars are a deterrent, only about 4 houses left with bars on my street, if someone is looking for a house to rob, they will go for the easier target. buglers want to get in and get out quickly they see my house or the 3 others with bars they know it will take more time.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
bars are a deterrent, only about 4 houses left with bars on my street, if someone is looking for a house to rob, they will go for the easier target. buglers want to get in and get out quickly they see my house or the 3 others with bars they know it will take more time.
But the impression that the cinder block house with no landscaping AND bars on the windows is not welcoming to women either. Sure it may keep burglars away, but I wouldn't find it a welcoming place to walk into the first time. Then you add the matrix room and not really much else as far as decorating goes and it really looks like a scary place.

I know it's hard, my house was vacant for 5 years when I bought it, and the lawn was hip high. But a little work and now it's a comfortable welcoming place. You can do the same. Even if you insist on the bars, some landscaping would soften the look.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:51 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
How so? I don'y have a moat or bodies hanging from tree's or anything lol and keep in mind
this photo was taken before blew all the dirt and grass off the driveway, I recently bought battery powered mowers and weed eaters so I cut and trim my yard more often cause I can do it at night.

It looks neglected and run down. Bars in front of the windows. Dead grass everywhere. Needs new roof, paint, windows, landscaping ... everything. You can do alot yourself, especially with the yard. Maybe a rock yard with cactus plants. I get it - it is a lot of money to invest but the curb appeal really is creepy as hell. I bought a trashy house myself and if you are smart, you can change a lot without spending tons of $$$$. The way it looks now, I don't even think a burglar would want to enter.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It looks neglected and run down. Bars in front of the windows. Dead grass everywhere. Needs new roof, paint, windows, landscaping ... everything. You can do alot yourself, especially with the yard. Maybe a rock yard with cactus plants. I get it - it is a lot of money to invest but the curb appeal really is creepy as hell. I bought a trashy house myself and if you are smart, you can change a lot without spending tons of $$$$. The way it looks now, I don't even think a burglar would want to enter.
Right.

Keep the bars, if you want, OP. But spend a little time and money to just spruce up the outside.

Get rid of the other negatives besides the bars. The man cave is a non-issue compared to that.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:17 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,586,534 times
OP, I'd be very turned off by the way you are decorating and using your mancave/gaming room, but you maybe are seeking a woman who is interested in gaming and science-fi which I have zero interest in. Your room does not seem particularly mature. And it seems geared to a small segment of women who might find it interesting.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-22-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, I'd be very turned off by your mancave/gaming room, but you maybe are seeking a woman who is interested in gaming and science-fi which I have zero interest in. Your room does not seem particularly mature. And it seems geared to a small segment of women who might find it interesting.
My husband is a 40 year old solutions architect at an F-500 company and his room has several monitors, an Alienware gaming PC, sound bars, posters, memorabilia, VR, consoles .....when it comes to video games and the like, age has nothing to do with it. Young people really can't afford all of the gear. My husband is an avid gamer, and he found me. Doesn't really matter if a large segment of the female population doesn't care for games, all it takes is one. Everyone has their hobbies.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That grass is not dead lol in fact I don't think it can be killed, every time it rains I end up having to cut it twice a week for a month. I keep it mowed and edged, with my new mower it takes 15 minutes tops. I do plan on painting the house, I've been buying paint a little at a time and when I get a compressor and paint attachment(not using a roller again), as far as the roof goes that is a new roof, had hail damage and had to take out a claim.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,727,352 times
I don't mind mancaves, as long as they're not.....overwhelming and ominous.

I'm more of a PlayStation and Nintendo kind of girl though. Never was a fan of PC stuff.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, I'd be very turned off by the way you are decorating and using your mancave/gaming room, but you maybe are seeking a woman who is interested in gaming and science-fi which I have zero interest in. Your room does not seem particularly mature. And it seems geared to a small segment of women who might find it interesting.
Why does reaching a certain age mean you have to give up things you enjoy? I've liked gaming since I got an atari for xmas age 9. and most of what I play is adult themed lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My husband is a 40 year old solutions architect at an F-500 company and his room has several monitors, an Alienware gaming PC, sound bars, posters, memorabilia, VR, consoles .....when it comes to video games and the like, age has nothing to do with it. Young people really can't afford all of the gear. My husband is an avid gamer, and he found me. Doesn't really matter if a large segment of the female population doesn't care for games, all it takes is one. Everyone has their hobbies.
Thank you....

BTW I looked at your profile the I was thinking your hubbies a lucky man, though it was weird the photo of you with long hair you bare a resemblance to my daughter and you're just as tall, hell we might be related lol plus we are both from Texas .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships