Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Yep black satin sheets, nice thick comforter, leather loveseat(no couch) other parts of the house may be sparse decoration wise but it is comfortable and functional. red lighting in the bedroom bluish lighting in the living room.
Why am I mentally hearing Barry White's voice saying this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 09:32 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
Bow chicka bow rowr

Old 01-23-2018, 03:18 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, if I were a woman just starting to date a guy and his "rec room" is nothing but a bunch of video game hardware, I'd wonder just how long ago he moved out of Mom's basement and stopped wearing sweatpants everywhere.

Personally my idea of a "man cave" (if I ever get to have one) involves lots of wood paneling, bookshelves everywhere filled with actual books that people read (not "by the yard"), big comfortable chairs and sofas with reading lamps everywhere, a bunch of musical instruments all round, maybe a few antique tools displayed on the wall along with a variety of artwork, well-worn Oriental (or imitations thereof) rugs strewn this way and that, and a good-looking liquor cabinet. No computer or TV screens permitted, no dumbphones either. To make it perfect you would add one or two big friendly dogs.

Ideally, you go downstairs from that room to the 2-car-garage size shop with concrete floor, 25 HP compressor, Bridgeport mill with CNC drive, engine lathe, MIG, TIG, and gas welding rigs, a big surface plate, an Ironworker, band saw (not one of those crummy tilting cutoff saws, a real band saw), H-frame hydraulic press, and a small sheet metal brake. And maybe a few other things I am not thinking of right now. That's where the computer screen is, with at least Solidworks, maybe MasterCam or whatever interfaces with the Bridgeport.
So, are you suggesting he redo his house over to suit you or simply redo his entire personality?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:50 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,108,174 times
If a woman finds them a turn off, she doesn't have to come in.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So, are you suggesting he redo his house over to suit you or simply redo his entire personality?
I am not suggesting any redecoration. I'm just pointing out that for a lot of women, video game obsession is likely to be a bigger turn-off than just the idea of a guy having a space of his own.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 731,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I am not suggesting any redecoration. I'm just pointing out that for a lot of women, video game obsession is likely to be a bigger turn-off than just the idea of a guy having a space of his own.
Having a space of your own (in general) should never be a turn off to women. If it is, you're with the wrong one.

As for video games and obsession. Video games shouldn't be an immediate turn off for the younger generation. We grew up with them and they're fun. A lot of guys grow up playing video games together, it can be a social, healthy thing. And immersive solo games can also be a great relaxer and escape. BUT obsession with just about any hobby isn't healthy. It seems the older generation immediately puts video games in such a specific negative corner *shrugs*

Now I don't think it's fair to say a game oriented room is a giant turn off out the gate, just because your idea of a dedicated room is akin to a cigar lounge. If he lives and breathes video games then yeah, the room gets weird. But if it's just an escape and he's healthy about it, maybe has friends that come through and play together in there, I don't see the issue. Context matters. I keep my PlayStation in plain sight though. No woman has ever complained.

For me, when I owned my last house, I had two separate rooms that you might consider a man cave. The studio / office for music and working from home. Specialized desk, couch, speakers, art, etc, quite a nice work space.

Then there was the basement, which was for entertaining. Pool table, darts, fully stocked bar, big screen, mean sound system, beer mirrors (in my early twenties lol), framed jerseys, etc.

Sure do miss having a house.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:14 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I have never played a video game before I wouldn't understand someone like this,I'd prefer someone who reads books,or is literary or a musician or something.

But there are likely many girls who would be fine with this.
Lol I read a lot of books, mostly sci-fi books and non fiction books on scientific theories on subjects like sociology, temporal mechanics, genetic biology, pre history, future technology etc etc.

And yes a musician also(I play guitar, synth and bass), was in 3 punk bands in my youth, 1/3 of that room is set up to play music though thats mostly to play and then mix music(via fruity loops) for my videos(that don't use mainstream songs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb33ODnGTrc

Old 01-23-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Lol I read a lot of books, mostly sci-fi books and non fiction books on scientific theories on subjects like sociology, temporal mechanics, genetic biology, pre history, future technology etc etc.

And yes a musician also(I play guitar, synth and bass), was in 3 punk bands in my youth, 1/3 of that room is set up to play music though thats mostly to play and then mix music(via fruity loops) for my videos(that don't use mainstream songs)
Crazy to think people have multiple hobbies and interests.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:28 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Crazy to think people have multiple hobbies and interests.
And yet it always seems to be me who has way more time to invest in a relationship than the people I have dated. all that stuff(plus sleep) can be done while she is at work, and my work (job) can be done while she sleeps that 8 or so hours in-between we should spend together or at least that's how I feel.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
And yet it always seems to be me who has way more time to invest in a relationship than the people I have dated. all that stuff(plus sleep) can be done while she is at work, and my work (job) can be done while she sleeps that 8 or so hours in-between we should spend together or at least that's how I feel.
If it's a recurring theme then you're likely being needy, clingy, or smothering....maybe you should find more things to take up your time that add value. Start working out, yoga, mountain bike, learn a new craft such as woodworking, cooking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships