Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:47 AM

20,429 posts, read 14,752,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I think as you get older you’re more selective in who you date. As far as I can tell I don’t need to be in a relationship. I’m prrfectly fine by my self. I can cook clean do household stuff etc. if I were dating today I would be really selective on who I would want a relationship with. I don’t want someone who is gonna be emotionally needy and constant reassurance or validation, and I sure as hell don’t want someone who needs to be supported financially.

Younger people are no more or less attractive today than they were 20 years ago. Hair clothes make up styles may of changed but a attractive person is gonna be attractive regardless of when they were born.
They might be "objectively attractive" as in, "Yes I acknowledge that they look like the humans I see on magazine covers and I am aware most of the other people around me probably find them nice looking." But young people do not ATTRACT me at all.

And some people don't even come into their own until they are older. My favorite celebrity right now, he's a great example. Jeff Goldblum wasn't making people go nuts when they were trying to make him hot stuff in the days of the first Jurassic Park but now...? With his jazz band and his sharp style, and how he has that...charisma, there's just no other word for it...he is way hotter as an older dude.

I do not believe that everyone finds the same qualities appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,863,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Not for men. The older you get, the ratio of women to men skyrockets. A widower that is halfway decent is catnip.
For some women, perhaps. Other women are more selective. We'd rather be alone than with someone who is "halfway decent." If you've already been through one divorce or bad breakup, you want to make a much better choice in the next (and hopefully, last) long-term committed relationship.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:02 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,804,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I think as you get older you’re more selective in who you date. As far as I can tell I don’t need to be in a relationship. I’m prrfectly fine by my self. I can cook clean do household stuff etc. if I were dating today I would be really selective on who I would want a relationship with. I don’t want someone who is gonna be emotionally needy and constant reassurance or validation, and I sure as hell don’t want someone who needs to be supported financially.

Younger people are no more or less attractive today than they were 20 years ago. Hair clothes make up styles may of changed but a attractive person is gonna be attractive regardless of when they were born.
Totally agree with this. Since my shot at having kids has basically passed, why would I want someone who wasn't self sufficient? I don't want a woman who always needs reassurance either. As much as I don't love being alone, I don't want to make another bad choice as I did in my marriage.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:27 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,372,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I agree with all of this. I’m definitely in better physical shape now than I was in my twenties to early thirties. I go to the gym four or five times a week, and I eat much healthier now than I did then. I hardly ever eat red meat, and maximize protein and minimize carbs. Most importantly, I totally cut out fast foods and processed foods. This is actually a pretty common lifestyle with many people in this area. Now when I visit where I grew up in rural Illinois, this is totally not the case.

To expand on this point....

I'm 60. My girlfriend is 58. We're very active. We've always made life choices that make a big difference now. We don't smoke. We don't drink heavily. I've skied 50 to 100 days per winter my whole life. I use a bicycle as transportation most of the time in the summer. We both lucked out with genetics other than my girlfriend dying her hair since her late-30s. Neither of us looks "old" and we don't act old.

Most of our friends are the same way. Certainly all my ski friends are. I bumped into my friend John in the lift line on Saturday. His new girlfriend winter hikes the Presidential Range in New Hampshire all winter and does hiking vacations. I was skiing last weekend with Pete, a 77-year-old attorney who runs road races and always wins his age group. My friend/winter neighbor Maria just skied her 100th day. Peggy has been retired for 20 years and skis just about every day. Her husband Larry is 73. I really have to push to keep up with him. My friends Roger & Andrea already have 100 days in.

I went to my 40th High School reunion a couple of years ago where everyone was 58. 1/3 of the room looked "elderly" already. 1/3 of the room looked late-40s. One woman looked a fit 35.

I just saw a photo on Facebook of a woman I dated for a couple of years when we were 24/25. I hadn't seen her or a photo of her since. It was her 60th birthday. Ouch! She looks an out-of-shape 70+.

I was out at lunch in Denver with a couple of Taiwanese co-workers in January. They were talking about the local Denver guy who is 65 and "old". As old as their parents. They asked how old I was. With age discrimination, I won't ever disclose that so I asked them to guess. They guessed 50. I'm 60. I just said "you're pretty close" and left it at that.

If you're 60 and looking to date, the pool shrinks because you have to match on age, marital/relationship status, and where you fall on that lifestyle/genetics activity and aging spectrum. If you're 60 and active, you're not going to pick a couch potato with limited mobility who looks 75.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:28 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,046,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
To expand on this point....

I'm 60. My girlfriend is 58. We're very active. We've always made life choices that make a big difference now. We don't smoke. We don't drink heavily. I've skied 50 to 100 days per winter my whole life. I use a bicycle as transportation most of the time in the summer. We both lucked out with genetics other than my girlfriend dying her hair since her late-30s. Neither of us looks "old" and we don't act old.

Most of our friends are the same way. Certainly all my ski friends are. I bumped into my friend John in the lift line on Saturday. His new girlfriend winter hikes the Presidential Range in New Hampshire all winter and does hiking vacations. I was skiing last weekend with Pete, a 77-year-old attorney who runs road races and always wins his age group. My friend/winter neighbor Maria just skied her 100th day. Peggy has been retired for 20 years and skis just about every day. Her husband Larry is 73. I really have to push to keep up with him. My friends Roger & Andrea already have 100 days in.

I went to my 40th High School reunion a couple of years ago where everyone was 58. 1/3 of the room looked "elderly" already. 1/3 of the room looked late-40s. One woman looked a fit 35.

I just saw a photo on Facebook of a woman I dated for a couple of years when we were 24/25. I hadn't seen her or a photo of her since. It was her 60th birthday. Ouch! She looks an out-of-shape 70+.

I was out at lunch in Denver with a couple of Taiwanese co-workers in January. They were talking about the local Denver guy who is 65 and "old". As old as their parents. They asked how old I was. With age discrimination, I won't ever disclose that so I asked them to guess. They guessed 50. I'm 60. I just said "you're pretty close" and left it at that.

If you're 60 and looking to date, the pool shrinks because you have to match on age, marital/relationship status, and where you fall on that lifestyle/genetics activity and aging spectrum. If you're 60 and active, you're not going to pick a couch potato with limited mobility who looks 75.
Funny you mentioned this...I just got done talking to a male, athletic friend who is like 58, his last girlfriend was a few years older, early 60s...she's still great looking bod on her. They were both big on hiking, biking, a lot of heavy athletic stuff.

Unfortunately ,she ended it after 5 years due to wanting to be independent, not much more than that. He wasn't happy about it, so he's been dating back to back. He noticed with the Meetup groups that honestly, there aren't that many attractive women in the groups. I kind of concured that there aren't many head turning women in said Meetups, but I keep an eye out for at least "cute" types. Anyways, so yeah, there's something to be said that it's hard to find women pushing 60 that's kept an eye on their weight...the Meetup groups he attended were proof of that. No one would be able to keep up with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships