Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 02:16 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty short as I'm not interested in the forever texting/messaging deal. I'm usually the one who asks us to meet in person
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 02:21 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Or they ask you basic personal information that is clearly stated in your profile -- like the city in which you live or what your hobbies are! LOL. Basic reading comprehension would eliminate the need for such queries.
Exactly! People are so f'ing lazy!!!!

Old 10-22-2019, 02:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yikes. If you drop stuff like that, and there is anything but:

"Have you seen the _______ exhibit at The Met that opened last week? I really want to check that out."

in return. Yikes. Just Yikes.
Totally! It is like a full on invitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Or. Holy crap, she READS? I can't do that. I am outta here.
I do think some people really do that lol

Quote:
Or they ask you basic personal information that is clearly stated in your profile -- like the city in which you live or what your hobbies are! LOL. Basic reading comprehension would eliminate the need for such queries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Exactly! People are so f'ing lazy!!!!
Yup! People are lazy. Though I have definitely seen people who fudge where they live. So I do like to verify. Like they claim to live in a close in suburb or city and really live in an exurb 20 miles away.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:18 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,281 times
Correction, seems no matter what age or gender, there seems to be a lack of engagement online.

I get a kickout of the idiots that put "Ask me" in their profile description.

Old 10-22-2019, 03:25 PM

Don't forget the return veterans that start off their headline, "Back at this" or "One more try". When these ladies were women you've contacted last year or a few months ago...and they are back at again, and clearly announcing so.

I figured "Hey, Ill give her another shot (shoot her an email...again), maybe she'll be more flexible in the height department or whatever department".

"Hey, I see you're giving this one more try...well, you're timing is perfect, because I'm in the same boat" (Wont' mention anything about having contacted her last year).

But nah...they just wind up being a bunch of recycles.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:47 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Don't forget the return veterans that start off their headline, "Back at this" or "One more try". When these ladies were women you've contacted last year or a few months ago...and they are back at again, and clearly announcing so.

I figured "Hey, Ill give her another shot (shoot her an email...again), maybe she'll be more flexible in the height department or whatever department".

"Hey, I see you're giving this one more try...well, you're timing is perfect, because I'm in the same boat" (Wont' mention anything about having contacted her last year).

But nah...they just wind up being a bunch of recycles.
Well to be honest, I used that line before too. It's just a sort of an ice breaker. And if circumstances are such that I find myself back on OLD, I'll probably use it again. But I certainly don't mean it as a slight towards few women who reached out to me but I didn't really respond because of my one at a time rule.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,501,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
LOL, I am 33 and love being with a woman in her 40s, much more likely to be mature, have a good job/career, not some crazy SJW, not someone who's going to likely be wanting to spend lots of times obsessed with their phone and uploading hundreds of selfies/instagram pics etc. etc. Perhaps as a mid-30s guy I just look at women in your age bracket quite differently.
Yikes. You’re lucky then. I was housesitting last weekend and fired up Bumble and you’d have been proven very wrong. If you need a mommy figure, fair enough. I, frankly, want a gal who wants a family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I find plenty of men do not get it. I drop all sorts of hints on topics that you can easily expand on. If you don't pick up on the threads - I stop responding.

For example, when people ask me what I like to do, I will mention museums, reading, movies, and checking out new bars and restaurants. Any competent conversationalist will see a few things to expand on here for follow up questions:
  • what's the most interesting thing you've read lately
  • what museums/exhibits do you like
  • what is your favorite food? fave restaurant?
  • what kind of movies do you like/what are you looking forward to watching

Usually I get a how's your day back.
Not to NEWSFLASH you, but depending of the kind of guy you’re looking for, you’re going to put them to sleep with that stuff. Or you’re going to irk a guy who “don’t have no time for dat” when it comes to recreation after a 50-hour week. I mean, I have a side job doing trailer checks at a theater down the road from me and I sure as heck wouldn’t watch the garbage being put out these days! Everyone likes generally the same stuff. Stuff that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. Who cares? Leave the job interview elsewhere and ask loaded questions about what he’s looking for in life.

Quote:
Is this that big a deal? If these folks were that socially adjusted, they wouldn’t be using OD sites and apps in the first places!

Old 10-23-2019, 02:13 AM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm a divorced guy in my 40s looking to date women in the same age bracket. I have been on and off the various dating sites and I have started to notice a trend that women in this age bracket just don't know how to carry a conversation online. This happens both when I start the conversation and in cases where they have started the conversation. I'll give you an example:

Woman: Hey...any fun plans this weekend?
Me: Yeah, going out for drinks for my friend's birthday tonight. How about you? I noticed in your profile you mentioned you are a teacher. That must be a very rewarding job.
Woman: Staying in

And that's the end of the conversation. She did not even acknowledge my comment about the job which I tried to use to enhance the conversation. She simply answered my question about the weekend, and did not ask me any follow up questions. Lots of 1 or 2 word answers with nothing left to keep the conversation going.

I had this same scenario play out with 3 different women just this weekend. Have women in this age range just been out of the game for so long that they forgot how to have a conversation? Or maybe just not used to online dating in general?
I did read all 12 pages of this thread (yikes!) and she was *clearly* hinting to get together, but OP shut that down real quick, and so she answered "Staying in".... meaning, why not invite ME out?

But OP is upset that she didn't comment on his teacher comment?

And like someone already said, it is a numbers game and she probably moved on to the next one out of 500 replies she got. She had nothing personal against OP. He missed his initial chance, is all.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:18 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Correction, seems no matter what age or gender, there seems to be a lack of engagement online.

I get a kickout of the idiots that put "Ask me" in their profile description.
This one cracks me up. Ask you what? I mean, why would I?

Old 10-23-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This one cracks me up. Ask you what? I mean, why would I?
Sometimes Ill send them, "If I ask, will you answer?"

Answer to that is...well, obviously she won't answer unless you're cute.

Her personal details about herself is only reserved for men she finds attractive, otherwise the rest of the uggos can go pound sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships