Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2020, 11:15 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times

Advertisements

If a man visits "his family" over Christmas without his new wife & is then absent from his new wife on New Year's Eve, I would suspect that he is a bigamist.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:27 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty99 View Post
This can't be real. If so, he used the "court marriage" to keep you on tap. Sorry to be crude but in spirit you are not married. You are simply in the same position as you were before. He's just using you. I hope you get some sort of financial security out of this if you work at McDonalds.
+1.

Don't live together, hasn't met anyone, wasn't around for the holidays, travels a lot...

Old 01-02-2020, 11:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
If it was a courthouse marriage, I can see him going through the ceremony but not taking the final step, like filing the paperwork or completing the forms. Do you have the actual, physical, Certificate of Marriage in-hand ?
They don’t just do ceremonies at the courthouse/city hall.

The officiant has to sign the marriage license.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
He doesn’t see the point of me moving my stuff in if we are gonna move soon anyway plus I have my dog and it is not a pet friendly place unless you pay a lot and there’s no point since we aren’t gonna be staying there
Isn't he a world traveler? He can't slap together some dough for a few weeks of a dog at his place? Lol.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:31 AM

17,771 posts, read 9,215,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
If it was a courthouse marriage, I can see him going through the ceremony but not taking the final step, like filing the paperwork or completing the forms. Do you have the actual, physical, Certificate of Marriage in-hand ?
The forms need to be filled out before the wedding. Pretty sure they are legally married.

https://www.nccourts.gov/help-topics...ldren/marriage

Old 01-02-2020, 12:02 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The forms need to be filled out before the wedding. Pretty sure they are legally married.

https://www.nccourts.gov/help-topics...ldren/marriage

What if he clipped a check to the form, and the check bounced ?

OP do you have the physical, stamped, certified Certificate of Marriage ?

I would be concerned the guy purposefully skipped a step and somehow the docs aren't filed. But maybe it is indeed all above-board. I was cringing at the possibility of OP being told "Okay, but we have no record of this marriage ..."

Old 01-02-2020, 12:14 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Belle, I hope you stay in school and keep your job.

Definitely check on your medical insurance situation and try to get your leg problem corrected plus dental work attended to pronto.

I would not contact his family alone out of the blue on FB but try to set up a time with your husband to inform them. There has been enough time passed since his sister’s pregnancy announcement. Other people’s lives should not stop because of that.

To be blunt, at the first sign of abuse, get out. This whole scenario does not add up. Why the sudden marriage? Was “psycho” gf still contacting him and this is his “out”?

This could work out for you financially but leaving a new wife for all the recent holidays is just crazy. Something is weird.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Belle, I'm still confused about New Year's. He had to work both New Year's Eve and New Year's Day? So did you go out the night of New Year's Eve? Or did you spend the evening alone together or what?

Old 01-02-2020, 01:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
I got married about a month ago and I havent met my in laws yet because they live in another city. I think it’s weird that I havent met any of my husbands family but he does talk about them. When we got married we did the courthouse thing and plan to have an actual wedding once things slow down with him at work. So since there has not been a wedding I have not met any of his family yet. He has met my sister but I don’t have much family to introduce him to anymore.

Over the holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving I expected us to go visit his family but he went alone both times. I asked him why we couldn’t go together and both times he told me he wanted to tell them in person he got married and not just over the phone and he wanted to be alone when he told them. So I stayed behind both times. But now I’m starting to wedding plan and when I ask when I can meet them he says soon but then changes the subject.

That seems weird right? Its not just me? I know they exist because I’ve seen pictures and stuff so I don’t know what it could be.
You should never have married this person without meeting anyone 1st from his family.Yes he's hiding something and it's YOU that he's hiding...for what reason...who knows BUT you should gotten to the bottom of all of this mess before marriage.I bet it will be something really damaging when you do find out the truth.
People who love each other shouldn't be going into marriage in secrecy.It's a slap in the face to you as the bride.You went into this marriage with him keeping secrets from you.What a way to start married life.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:51 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
The fact that the O.P. has not answered my question about whether or not her husband is from a different cultural, religious, and/or social background tells me that he most likely is one or all of those three things, which might explain why he's keeping the reality of his marriage away from his family as long as possible.

It makes me wonder if he either has a wife in another state, country, or is supposed to be married to someone from the same background as he. It happens, although usually the guy is dating, rather than marrying a woman without telling her any details (this happened to a few of my college friends with guys whose family of origin were from other countries where arranged marriages are not uncommon. Families will often turn a blind eye to their sons sowing their oats with who they deem to un-marriageable women before they settle down. Marriage to those women, however, is strongly frowned upon).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships