Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2020, 09:48 AM

7,139 posts, read 4,552,321 times

Advertisements

Go to the courthouse and get a copy of your marriage license. You need to know if you are legally married as a first step.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:54 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Why is she posting her questions to strangers here on CD instead of confiding in her "three friends" who witnessed her marriage? Surely they have more insight on this situation.

Makes NO sense.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:03 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Belle, we cannot help you, I'm afraid. You came here asking if this sounded right and we are ALL telling you what's going on and you just keep posting all his excuses /lies.

I'm sorry to say this, but he doesn't love you. If he loved you he would be shouting it from the rooftops regardless of what anyone else was going to think. He would spend the holidays with you. He wouldn't be able to spend a night away from you. He not only doesn't love you, he's playing you.

You're starting to question him and now he's in a hurry to start a family which will trap you. You'll ignore our pleas, but I'll echo what my fellow posters have said: DO NOT GET PREGNANT.

I feel sorry for you. It's one thing to be naive, that's understandable when one doesn't have the life experiences gained through the years. But to ignore the signs and advice of well meaning people when you've asked for it because deep down you know he's lying is something else altogether.
All excellent points. Well said. +1

Old 01-03-2020, 10:09 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Things that are completely messed up, not normal, and should cause you to worry:
- he's ashamed of you
- he doesn't live with you
- he hasn't given you a key to his place
- you don't have any proof he added you to accounts, financial instruments, or insurance

This could all be resolved quite easily. Give him a deadline -- 2 weeks -- to introduce you to his family and friends and to give you a key to his apt. Get his insurance card and call the number on it to confirm that you're covered.

If he balks, walk away.

AND DO NOT GET PREGNANT!
Excellent points.

Also, you will need an official copy of your marriage certificate before you can attempt to change your SS number and state ID card. If you were my friend or relative I would make that part of the two week deadline.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:09 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,673,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Go to the courthouse and get a copy of your marriage license. You need to know if you are legally married as a first step.
This ^^^. It does sound legal to me if it was at the courthouse with witnesses signing.

Then call your husband’s HR department and ask about the insurance cards. You should be “on the books” by now if he added your name for health coverage. Do this ASAP! Once you get coverage, take care of your medical and dental issues immediately.

Set a deadline (next week?) for a key to his apartment and an introduction to his parents. Start looking for an apartment for you both.

I think we are all mystified why this marriage was so rushed. No engagement, no planning, no mutual living arrangements, no enjoying holidays together as newlyweds - why? Especially because he did not treat you well in the past and you became homeless. What is to be gained by this timing? Plus he just broke up with his “psycho” girlfriend.

I will add to the Do Not Get Pregnant chorus. Really, we are all hoping for the best for you.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:11 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
This ^^^. It does sound legal to me if it was at the courthouse with witnesses signing.

Then call your husband’s HR department and ask about the insurance cards. You should be “on the books” by now if he added your name for health coverage. Do this ASAP! Once you get coverage, take care of your medical and dental issues immediately.

Set a deadline (next week?) for a key to his apartment and an introduction to his parents. Start looking for an apartment for you both.

I think we are all mystified why this marriage was so rushed. No engagement, no planning, no mutual living arrangements, no enjoying holidays together as newlyweds - why? Especially because he did not treat you well in the past and you became homeless. What is to be gained by this timing? Plus he just broke up with his “psycho” girlfriend.

I will add to the Do Not Get Pregnant chorus. Really, we are all hoping for the best for you.
These are all great suggestions

Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,119 times
All of this is falling on 100% deaf ears, if it's real at all.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:41 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
All of this is falling on 100% deaf ears, if it's real at all.

She is real, she has been a poster here a lot longer than you, but I agree with you on the fact this is falling on deaf ears.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:47 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
She is real, she has been a poster here a lot longer than you, but I agree with you on the fact this is falling on deaf ears.

Yeah, and sadly, it is falling on deaf ears... as previous advice was. It's sad.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:49 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
(snip).
Well, it is legal if the magistrate also signed it and all of the paperwork was turned into the Register of Deeds to be officially recorded (and a few other steps). But, with all the sneaky stuff that Belle's FWB/husband has done I would be concerned that one of the steps was "accidently overlooked".

But that is very easy to check. Belle, just go to the courthouse where you were married and request a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the Register of Deeds. I believe that it only costs $10 and you can get a copy immediately. It is a weekday so you can do it right now.

I believe, that the copy that you and your husband received at the wedding is just a keepsake and not an official, certified legal document that you will need if you decide to change your name (sort of like the baby footprints and fancy certificate from the hospital is not a certified, official, legal birth certificate -at least in my state).

Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-03-2020 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships