Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 04:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,341,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
She can't do anything that involves lifting, moving...anything.
Smart lady! We did all this to ourselves! My Grandma never argued. She'd just say "I'd LOVE to (do whatever), but I can't..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 04:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,341,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
Yes, there are women (maybe a lot) that only want equality when it benefits them, and only want chivalry when it benefits them. There are also a lot of men that want the same thing.
Don't we all...? Regardless of the subject at hand.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:14 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,706,803 times
I don't believe chivalry is dead, but I do believe it's been dealt some hard blows.
Some women just don't appreciate guys opening doors for them, walking nest to the street to shield them from debris, walking them to their cars, doors, etc. I was raised that this is the way a lady should be treated, but I was also told that you had to be a lady to be treated as such. There are plenty of good guys out there, but I bet every one of them has a story about being treated badly by a woman when they were trying to be polite. If it's important to you, let the guys you date know how much you appreciate it and I'm sure they'll treat you accordingly.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,214,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I don't believe chivalry is dead, but I do believe it's been dealt some hard blows.
Some women just don't appreciate guys opening doors for them, walking nest to the street to shield them from debris, walking them to their cars, doors, etc. I was raised that this is the way a lady should be treated, but I was also told that you had to be a lady to be treated as such. There are plenty of good guys out there, but I bet every one of them has a story about being treated badly by a woman when they were trying to be polite. If it's important to you, let the guys you date know how much you appreciate it and I'm sure they'll treat you accordingly.
Also, bear in mind that you can train a man. Even if he's been told before that women can 'do it themselves,' it only takes one time for you to say 'Well... Are you gonna go let me out of this car..?' as if it was expected of him. He'll probably keep doing it. So even if you find a guy that has had his chops busted for treating a woman like a lady, you can still bring it back by reinforcing the behavior you desire.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 PM

9,892 posts, read 13,929,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
And why should a man walk you to your car moonshadow, when women are just as strong as men? Since you will not agree to that, there must be some other reason that a woman is not tasked with walking a man to his vehicle?
Chia, chia, chia, I think there's a reading comprehension problem going on here. Either that or you're projecting.

Where did I not agree to a man walking me to my car???? OR say that I wouldn't walk a man to his car for that matter?

Men have walked me to my car and I have thanked them and been appreciative, just as I have walked men to their cars and they have thanked me and been appreciative.

I am not responsible for other people's expectations.

It's got nothing to do with who's stronger and everything to do with caring and protecting each other and courteous behaviour. I place no expectation on men to protect me, I think I've mentioned this to you before, I can do it myself as I have done for many years. Should a guy help me out or offer to do things for me I'm hardly going to slap him down, just as hopefully if I say I can do it myself, thank you, he's man enough not to get offended. I really can't see the point to getting all huffy about people being grateful for the offer but still wanting to do something themselves.

I can't explain to you why historically the expectation is there that men walk a woman to their car, but I don't adhere to the expectation anyway. As far as I'm concerned it's about taking care of each other and common courtesy.

So if a guy walks me to my car I'm appreciative, just as I would be if a girlfriend or family member did it. As I hope they would be appreciate me doing the same should I reciprocate. AND should a guy not walk me to my car, oh well, I can do it myself anyway, I'm hardly going to attribute a personality flaw to him because of it, and one would hope that his attitude was the same should I not offer.

And here's a couple of extra smiley faces because I know how much you love them!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
And here's a couple of extra smiley faces because I know how much you love them!
Eight of them! Yikes.

Off-Topic: Why don't we have a broader selection of smileys? I have to post images from outside of city-data to get, for example, a crying smiley. I only lightly pepper them throughout my posts, but every once in a while it would be so much easier to just put a very appropriate emoticon in place of paragraphs of explanation. Where is the barfing smiley? The drunk smiley? Etc.

And moonshadow, some posts should contain a shimmer of happiness, but eight smileys is just rediculous!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Eight of them! Yikes.

Off-Topic: Why don't we have a broader selection of smileys? I have to post images from outside of city-data to get, for example, a crying smiley. I only lightly pepper them throughout my posts, but every once in a while it would be so much easier to just put a very appropriate emoticon in place of paragraphs of explanation. Where is the barfing smiley? The drunk smiley? Etc.

And moonshadow, some posts should contain a shimmer of happiness, but eight smileys is just rediculous!
I like the pretty!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I like the pretty!
I bet you like the color pink.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I bet you like the color pink.
Amongst other colors, yes. What's not to like?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:21 AM

335 posts, read 1,030,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Is chivalry dead?
I went out with a guy last night who I don't want to see again but he didn't even have the decentcy to walk me to my car. Why are guys like this?
I swear most guys that I've gone out with haven't walked me to my car.
I think that is so rude. I just would think any guy who was raised right should walk you to your car whether he likes you or not, just by being a gentlemen.
NO! Dear woman do not give up! I met my current BF 2.5 years ago and from the first date he opened my doors for me, got up when I left the room, walks me to the bathroom in restaurants, does not allow me to go to the store after 9 but rahter asks me, "What do you need? I just do not feel safe with you going this late too many weirdos'
I am happy to report he is still the same after 2.5 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships