Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 AM

72 posts, read 440,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Is chivalry dead?
I went out with a guy last night who I don't want to see again but he didn't even have the decentcy to walk me to my car. Why are guys like this?
I swear most guys that I've gone out with haven't walked me to my car.
I think that is so rude. I just would think any guy who was raised right should walk you to your car whether he likes you or not, just by being a gentlemen.
LOL Girl.. Most guys that I've dated have just honked at me to come to the car.. If your dates actually get out of the car or go to knock on your door to get you, consider yourself lucky for these days. This is why I don't date anymore. (and I wasn't picking losers. I was picking "nice", "religious" guys).

So, yes, I do think chivalry is dead. I can't be sure, but, I think it died back in the 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 04:05 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,036,310 times
Chivalry is not dead with me. I always opened the car doors for my girlfriends in the past--including when they got out. I still open doors for ladies--and men, and children and the elderly, the infirm, etc.

I don't tip my hat because I don't wear one. I don't stand when a lady arrives at the table or leaves--I'd like to get in the habit of it, though. That type of chivalry I think is probably much older than most of us are accustomed to.

Anyway, chivalry is out there. I think a lot of men are confused as to what women want. Do you want equality? What does that mean to you? Do you want a man to take care of you? Is that equality? Do you want a man to put you on a pedestal? To adore you? Honor you? Or does that negatively impact your feminist sensibilities?

I think too many men just kiss off the chivalry part. I don't. My feeling is that if some woman is so hypersensitive about her identity that she can't deal with a man being polite then she's a worthless b**ch. I will continue to ALWAYS hold the door for women though.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,948,645 times
In my younger days, I would tell the girl/women I was with to NOT GET OUT but WAIT til I walked around to open the door and offer my hand to hers to exit the car. (One way to get cozy). Never failed. Opening the door also needs to be done on leaving. Steve

Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,835,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
NO! Dear woman do not give up! I met my current BF 2.5 years ago and from the first date he opened my doors for me, got up when I left the room, walks me to the bathroom in restaurants, does not allow me to go to the store after 9 but rahter asks me, "What do you need? I just do not feel safe with you going this late too many weirdos'
I am happy to report he is still the same after 2.5 years
Hold on to that one, he sounds like a KEEPER!

Going on 24yrs with my Hubby, and he still opens doors for me (even when it is pouring rain and it would be quicker to jump in and hit the door lock. )
If we are walking somewhere together he always walks on the traffic side to 'protect' me...no matter how many times we cross the road.

Where we live now it is a common (and expected) courtesy to open doors for others. It actually took me a little while to get used to it and make a point of looking someone in the eye and saying Thank-You!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:15 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,639,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
My feeling is that if some woman is so hypersensitive about her identity that she can't deal with a man being polite then she's a worthless b**ch. I will continue to ALWAYS hold the door for women though.
Excellent! http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/SifuPhil/pompomgirl.gif (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn;
If we are walking somewhere together he always walks on the traffic side to 'protect' me...no matter how many times we cross the road.
I used to do that with my lady friends in NYC, until one time one of them got mugged by a guy in a doorway.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,948,645 times
Heres one, where and when did the " male walk on the streetside of the sidewalk to protect women originate from. I have a theory. Steve

Old 05-26-2008, 07:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,835,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I used to do that with my lady friends in NYC, until one time one of them got mugged by a guy in a doorway.
Ooh! There's something to consider, depending on where you live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Heres one, where and when did the " male walk on the streetside of the sidewalk to protect women originate from. I have a theory. Steve
I always thought it had to do with the "splash" after it rains... landing on the guy instead of his lady, as well as the possibility of an errant driver... gives the man a chance to push his sweetie clear of danger.

But I have also read that if the woman walks closest to the street it means that her "services" are available...if her companion is closest to the street then she is "taken".

Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,845,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I think it was to protect the woman from runaway horses and carelessly driven wagons.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,225,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Also, bear in mind that you can train a man. Even if he's been told before that women can 'do it themselves,' it only takes one time for you to say 'Well... Are you gonna go let me out of this car..?' as if it was expected of him. He'll probably keep doing it. So even if you find a guy that has had his chops busted for treating a woman like a lady, you can still bring it back by reinforcing the behavior you desire.
That's true, chi. Good point!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:24 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,225,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I think it was to protect the woman from runaway horses and carelessly driven wagons.
Yeah, that's what it was about originally and it still holds true - there are enough crazy drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships