Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2023, 01:47 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because only 3.7% of cars in the US are manuals. What would most people even use to learn to drive one? And like myself I learned on one 46 years ago. Have never had the need or opportunity to drive one in over 40 years. Most likely couldn't now.
I have a friend who had to go two or three states away to buy a muscle car that had a manual instead of an automatic transmission. That car model just got discontinued btw. The idea of a second license for manual transmission is asinine. For full disclosure, I know how to drive stick but have never owned a car with a stick.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:55 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,496,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh, please...

I learned how to drive a stick in the early 80s.
I have NOT had to drive one since.
Why should I carry - and pay for - two licenses?
A license presumes you know how to drive a car. If you get a manual transmission, could you drive it?

No need for two physical licenses, one card which states if you're licensed to drive stick shift cars, is all that is needed.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:07 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Back when I was a kid just about every sports car was a stick. Now I guess that has changed. Also, if you know how to drive a motorcycle, essentially it would be very quick for you to pick up a stick on a car.

But regardless, if you have a driver's license but cannot drive an entire class of transmission, I think it's time to introduce two classes of driver's license.
Ok then. A useless government document that costs more than a standard license and wont make you a better driver. Go for it.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:09 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
A license presumes you know how to drive a car. If you get a manual transmission, could you drive it?
No need for two physical licenses, one card which states if you're licensed to drive stick shift cars, is all that is needed.
Who knows, as I have not driven one or even been in one in 40+ years.
But I guess I keep renewing that stick license, right? Just in case, you know.

And licenses are much more than knowing how to drive. You need to know the laws, have reflexes, have good vision, be physically able to drive (not just know how).

Old 11-29-2023, 02:10 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Ok then. A useless government document that costs more than a standard license and wont make you a better driver. Go for it.
As if there isn't enough government chaos in our lives...

Old 11-29-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:

There is more to driving than physically changing gears. Seen a written drivers test lately. The point is unless you just really, really, really want one, you aren't going to buy a manual. 3.7%.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:21 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
I know and have known spouses who could not or would not or just did not ever switch the division of labor even when it meant things not getting done or having to call the other away from what they are doing, including their job, to do it for them.
It goes without saying those who are selfish, cynical, dependent or demanding are not likely to last long relative to a healthy, loving relationship (if they manage to be in one at all). That said, from my perspective, this is quite different than what the thread is essentially asking re: whether or not we want a woman who is ‘traditionally feminine’ in her desire to stay home with a baby for several months, if applicable - or not.

Quote:
Not every location has Uber (back then I doubt Sicily had either).
I stated a modern woman in today’s Sicily could have simply used Uber (and that neither of you should have been carrying around passports to restaurants and so on).

Quote:
But, point is not about modern woman vs traditional woman. But being able to drive stick. Too many people get driver's licenses without being able to drive this class of car lol.
Relative to the thread, my point is that a woman can manage her life just fine without it; I know very few women who can drive a stick. I don’t hold it against them or (even) think about it.

Old 11-29-2023, 03:38 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,496,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
and that neither of you should have been carrying around passports to restaurants and so on.
Lol, well to be technical, since I was driving I needed mine. But mine was not the problem

Old 11-29-2023, 05:16 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
Lol, well to be technical, since I was driving I needed mine. But mine was not the problem
Technically, you should have been carrying a copy of your passport’s data page. ;-)

Old 11-30-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It goes without saying those who are selfish, cynical, dependent or demanding are not likely to last long relative to a healthy, loving relationship (if they manage to be in one at all). That said, from my perspective, this is quite different than what the thread is essentially asking re: whether or not we want a woman who is ‘traditionally feminine’ in her desire to stay home with a baby for several months, if applicable - or not.
These people are not selfish or cynical. They are dependent and helpless (which IMO does not make a practical mate) and their SO seems quite happy accommodating their deficiencies. These marriages/relationships I know have lasted decades or until death (one 5 years now).

The thread was asking if men prefer a traditional or modern woman/wife, not traditionally feminine. I don't see what femininity has to do with desire to be a SAHM instead of working mom. Either can be feminine. A man does not lose his masculinity if he chooses to stay home with his children for several months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships