Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,864 times

Advertisements

I agree with you whole heartedly, I think there are others who agree with you and unless you move here from other parts of the country and experience this cold demeanour from the minnesottans I dont think they really understand... it is the way of life here ... at my work place of about 1000 plus employees, it is the same, so it is not just with very attractive people... they are cold, unfriendly and stone faced still same after 5 years ... I thought they just dont like the way I look and I talk to a neighbour who lived here over 10 years from colorado and she says the same thing and told me Im experiencing "minnesota ice" ... one day, I was listening to cooper lawrence show, a talk show host on the radio, she said the same thing like validating what I was feeling so I felt lots better and I guess we can accept the people here for more the way they are ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 02:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
haha, well I kind of get his point. I always believed that when I was in school, I didn't care if this was a teacher or not, they need to earn my respect just like everyone else. If they don't treat me with respect, I won't respect them. Out of a sense of propriety I would be polite, but respect is earned not given, even by people who think they should already have it. That's why most of my teachers thought I was a great student, because they were great teachers, and I respected them. And the few who didn't treat me or others with respect weren't shown it in return, either.

You have contradicted yourself.

If respect is earned and not given why do you expect people to treat you with it (give it to you) if they don't know you?

I believe we all owe a duty to society to act with respect for one another and to trust that we can be respectful all the time. Anyone who can't be is ignored by me. Expecting that YOU should be respected by any old person but thinking that they have to earn it (while you should just be given it) is hypocritical.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
I went to target yesterday. Lots of good looking women buying stuff. Well I decided to stare down(passionately) a beautiful looking women. She freaked up but kept her cool. Just something I wanted to share.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:45 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Attractive people don't have to make any effort to attract others; they are attractive. This becomes a great disadvantage as they age and lose their physical attractiveness but have not developed social skills. They become isolated then if they can't adjust. They become lonely.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:48 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
^Not true. Ever heard about the women who was ugly but yet she scored many goodlooking rich men? She did it by making the guys feel like kings without having to be attractive or good at sex. She was the daughter of Winston Churchill. You could say times have changed. But they really haven't.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM

640 posts, read 1,732,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I think "the beautiful people" are so paranoid. I am one of the hotties and I know other very attractive people and they are so full of themselves both guys and the ladies. ugh. Get over yourselves is what I have to say.

They self inflate their own egos by pretending that others are out to "hassle" or "come on" to them and these people will talk about hating the attention. Ya right.
I think this can be quite true. I've seen beautiful women tell men after they turn them down: "Hey, you just don't know what it's like to be me!" Of course, this was her way of lamenting the trials of a conventionally beautiful woman. Some women honestly have narcissistic personality disorder for sure. I have friends who are drop dead beautiful, who are on professional dance teams, but they still have the down to earth spirit to not act as if everyone owes them something and that you couldnt possibly imagine the hardships of being beautiful. Which leads me to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
A lot of times someone develops the best if they become better looking later. I know me and my friend are both this way. In high school we were the nerds, didn't go on any dates, and were not in the popular crowd. We were the smart kids. We both worked out a lot in college, and he's had two very good looking girlfriends now since then, I haven't done bad when I actually care enough to try, and he's in med school, I'm in film. So if you don't have your looks to rely upon when you're younger, you develop stronger in other areas, then you become better looking later. I know a lot of girls like this, too. Girls who in high school weren't the hot girls. Then I saw them years after high school and thought -- whoa! She changed! They seem to be the most gracious and have the best personalities, too, because they don't take it for granted. They know what it was like on the other side. I feel like that, too, I still enjoy being complimented on my looks because it's relatively new to me, like in the last five years, not my whole life like some of the hot girls who since they were very young everyone always said how good looking they were. It has gotten old for them, by that point.
This is very very true. The girls I was talking about earlier were very plain in high school, then blossomed into bombshells when they got older. As a result, they don't have the narcissism and the vanity some other beautiful women do. They understand that the world does not belong to them nor owe them anything. I was not attractive in high school at all. This induced me to turn to writing, books and music. I got alot more attractive (unfortunately not professional dance team hot, but hey) in college. I joined a sorority and it was like attending beauty school at times lol. Ultimately, I think it's made me a much better and well rounded person in the end. I don't think I'm drop dead gorgeous, but I still get hit on by guys even when they know I have a boyfriend. It can get unnerving. I can't imagine how annoying and uncomfortable it must get for girls who are 10's.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:03 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
I don't see this supposed phenomenon. I think people are intimidated by attractive people and they think that discomfort they feel means that attractive people aren't friendly to them, because they don't feel at ease with them.
I've noticed that most times when an attractive person seems unfriendly, they are just very shy and reserved. Sometimes they are actually quite modest and flustered by attention and don't know how to handle it. So don't assume the worst

Old 12-06-2008, 06:04 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
I'm too sexy for my computer screen

Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 12,047 times
I totally agree with the above post. I'm a girl in my 20s and my expression and level of friendliness depends on where I am and who I'm with. If I'm hanging out with friends, or actually out to meet new people, I'm usually smiling and friendly. When I'm alone in a public place I tend to be very quiet and wear a more serious expression. I learned a while ago that appearing a little too friendly and approachable can garner some unwanted attention. I'm really not comfortable with random guys coming up to me at gas stations and grocery stores, or hollering at me on the streets. And when I used to work at a restaurant, quite a few men thought it was perfectly all right to make crude jokes and sexual comments. In some situations it's way easier to ward off dumb guys with a cold look than to get them to leave you alone once they start talking. It's unfortunate that the look that keeps losers away also deters some nice people. Another thing to consider--sometimes people aren't aware of their facial expressions. I may be walking down the street thinking about my grocery list, weekend plans, or how I'm going to pay rent and not realize that I look "stone-cold." Also, what the original post said about attractive people drawing more attention is an interesting point. I'd say that most people don't walk around with open friendly expressions--if you live in the city, nearly everyone looks at least a bit stand-offish. The attractive people may just be more obvious.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,493 times
Why do most very-attractive people act very-unfriendly?

cause they usually think ther are better than the rest of us common peeps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships