Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
There was an article on yahoo today that discussed the concept of the "office spouse"--i.e. someone of the opposite sex at work whom you confide in, hang out with, and even flirt with. I don't know how to post the article but it was very interesting.

What do you think about this? Is it okay to have an "office spouse"?

Personally, as a married woman, I think this is completely wrong. I don't think that men and women should be "emotionally intimate" at work as the article was discussing. I think that sharing deep thoughts and feelings, talking about your marriage, and discussing personal matters should be left only to your spouse and same sex friends.
I agree...I see this all the time at work. I think its OK to have friends of the opposite sex at work, but with some it seems to cross a line into a sort of relationship. If you're married, you shouldn't need THAT kind of realtionship at work. I mean its an 8-hour day and you're there to work, not flirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
My office spouse and I had to seperate, against our will -- job transfer. I miss her. I suppose I could propose to one of the current women I work with, but they're not good office marriage material.

I think these relationships are fine, if the real spouses are cool with them. I've always had female and male friends, and my wife is ok with that. I've talked about opposite sex friendships with women before, and some say: oh no, if you were my husband, I'd kill you. Well, I wouldn't be married to a woman like that. I've never crossed the line, but I've been close enough to it to know it's there and be wary of it. I think I'm perfectly capable of controlling myself, and lucky for me, my wife agrees.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,701 times
Quote:
There was an article on yahoo today that discussed the concept of the "office spouse"--i.e. someone of the opposite sex at work whom you confide in, hang out with, and even flirt with. I don't know how to post the article but it was very interesting.

Personally, as a married woman, I think this is completely wrong. I don't think that men and women should be "emotionally intimate" at work as the article was discussing. I think that sharing deep thoughts and feelings, talking about your marriage, and discussing personal matters should be left only to your spouse and same sex friends.
I work in a setting with nearly 85% women (I'm a man who works a non-teaching job in a school setting) and I talk with women all day, but as for any personal stuff......I don't even go there at all. Too dangerous, one thing leads to another, etc... I've seen this happen a few times, where it starts off very subtle and innocent, then over time, becomes a relationship wrecker.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I have an office husband. I also have a bunch of big brothers at work who are keen on helping with car repairs, moving heavy things, etc. Nothing wrong with it so long as you know where to keep it.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM

456 posts, read 1,577,163 times
I have an office husband. He's my closest friend at work and the person I always confide in. We buy each other lunch from time to time or share our food, but that is it.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
I don't have an office spouse where I currently work and miss not having one.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
I don't need an office spouse, I already have a wife that I'm perfectly happy with.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:57 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:

First of all, I don't see why it matters if the friend is of the opposite sex. A lot of people have friends who aren't the same gender. If you trust your partner, you shouldn't have a problem with it. Second, sometimes it's easier to talk to someone you work with, especially if it's about stuff going on at work. No matter how close you are to your partner, they can't always understand what it's like for you at your job, particularly they're in a completely different field. Third, people flirt all the time and it's usually harmless.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 PM

350 posts, read 4,159,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Third, people flirt all the time and it's usually harmless.
I would be horrified if I saw/knew of my husband flirting with another woman. And I would never flirt with another man. I think it's completely disrespectful to your spouse. I have never been flirted with since I've been married nor have I ever flirted with anyone. It would feel completely wrong.

I had never heard of this concept of the "office spouse" before I read this article but it seems like a lot of people have them. I still think the concept of the office spouse is disrespectful to your spouse. Friendly conversation about work or about light topics like sports or travel is one thing with a colleague of the opposite sex, but having lunch with an opposite sex colleague alone, or talking about personal topics, your marriage or personal problems--I think that's crossing a major line and is extremely disrespectful to your spouse.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:46 PM

838 posts, read 1,876,907 times
Quote:
I would be horrified if I saw/knew of my husband flirting with another woman. And I would never flirt with another man. I think it's completely disrespectful to your spouse. I have never been flirted with since I've been married nor have I ever flirted with anyone. It would feel completely wrong.

I had never heard of this concept of the "office spouse" before I read this article but it seems like a lot of people have them. I still think the concept of the office spouse is disrespectful to your spouse. Friendly conversation about work or about light topics like sports or travel is one thing with a colleague of the opposite sex, but having lunch with an opposite sex colleague alone, or talking about personal topics, your marriage or personal problems--I think that's crossing a major line and is extremely disrespectful to your spouse.
Kibbles, you and will just have to agree to disagree. My wife does not think I'm being disrespectful to her because I have a work spouse. Mary is a real good friend; she just happens to be female. Because she is female, we flirt sometimes. But it's harmless, and all concerned know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships