Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,573,150 times

Advertisements

If you don't like the U.S. culture of how your wife is beautiful, you can always..(guys you fill in the blank. clue: 4 words)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I was thinking along the lines that she's a figment of his imagination.
great minds think alike!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,747,076 times
and don't let the door hit ya...............

Old 09-17-2009, 03:08 PM

50 posts, read 65,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I misunderstood what you wrote before. Looking back, I realize it was ambiguous.

Yes, you have said that several times, but apparently you are not explaining yourself as well as you might like, because no one seems to understand you.

Once again, would you give some examples? This is the third time I have asked.

To be clear, I was paraphrasing the other posters argument, when I said women's work is lower. "And you seem to be implying that women's work is degrading and low level, which I agree with, but someone has to do it so it might as well be women."

The ambiguity is my fault. I was attempting to paraphrase another poster, while at the same time laying out my views.

To be very clear I don't think household work should be done by women. I was criticizing another male poster.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:21 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,180,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
she probably cant hear him underneath that burka
I love you. Your are my new hero!!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,550,069 times
I don't think I've seen a more blatant case of dancing around and not answering the questions. This reinforces my original thought about the OP, because once you start to give examples, it becomes easier for the tangled web you weave to unravel.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Food for thought that just occured to me......
the OP is involved in politics, which means he is going to say much, without saying anything.....
perhaps we shoud just do what we do when we dont care for the politician, which would be to just ignore him?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marius1815 View Post
My point is that Aristotle and the ancient Greeks, and whites in the US South more recently, believed it was simply the nature of a slave to be a slave. We don't have any stereotypes any more that Black males are supposed to be submissive, do we?

And isn't that what many here are saying when they talk about what is in a woman's innate nature?
Well, I'm sure there have been beaucoup studies done on this subject. I will tell you that from the reading I have done, there are certain "roles" that are innate. I believe that women are more submissive than men, not because of cultural norms but because generally, they are not as strong as men and therefore have learned that going toe to toe with a man, physically is not practical. So therefore, they have learned that in dealing with men, and the ways of men, that being submissive will get them farther. I believe it has been a survival mechanism for oh, maybe about 4 million years and has become ingrained in our very psyche. You cannot just wipe out 4 million years of reality in a decade or two.

Truth of the matter is, that in dealings with men I believe that being more submissive will still get you farther than being obstinate, confrontational, etc., Men have words for women like that, and it ain't pretty.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Truth of the matter is, that in dealings with men I believe that being more submissive will still get you farther than being obstinate, confrontational, etc., Men have words for women like that, and it ain't pretty.

20yrsinBranson
Or, a woman can simply be assertive. One thing I have learned as a professional is the importance of being assertive (I've learned this lesson well this past year). Obstinate and confrontational? Never. Speaking up for myself clearly and thougtfully? Absolutely and always.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,933,627 times

Last edited by thepinksquid; 09-17-2009 at 10:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships