Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,719,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
very well then...so you mean that it was actually women who started wars, holocausts and pillaged foreign lands and they only used men as pawns in their wicked game to perpetrate their hatred for -- well, humanity I guess...?..??..?

Thats more like it I suppose.
Solytaire, take it easy. Calm down man.

Clearly I was making a point that women have always had more power than they give themselves credit for. Yes, they may have been denied things but were far from powerless.

My point was to show their influence on men throughout history, women have always had power. People keep saying that they were always oppressed which I totally disagree with.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Solytaire, take it easy. Calm down man.

Clearly I was making a point that women have always had more power than they give themselves credit for. Yes, they may have been denied things but were far from powerless.

My point was to show their influence on men throughout history, women have always had power. People keep saying that they were always oppressed which I totally disagree with.

I dont know man...Im pretty worked up!...Hold me back! I may hurt somebody!...AAARRGGHH!! lol....just trying to get the skinny of it.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
zz4guy wrote:
Quote:
50 years of feminism has brought us an exponentially higher cost of living, broken families, 60% divorce rate, all time high number of single mothers and a childhood obesity epidemic. Something obviously went wrong along the way.
I can't even begin to comprehend your post. Maybe you could elaborate on why women who don't want to be treated like second class citizens could explain inflation rates, obesity, divorce rates, etc. and how this is directly linked to feminism. This is the sort of rhetoric that men who have been less than successful in life (I'm not saying that you are) can shift the blame to someone else. Here's my feeling on the subject. I would feel very fortunate to have met a woman who had enough self esteem and ambition to accomplish goals that I had not achieved myself. Why does it have to be a contest? As I stated earlier I believe that men and women are equal and I don't consider that to be some sort of radical concept, I think it's self evident. So if you don't mind I'd like to ask you a question. Do you consider men and women to be equal and if you don't could you explain why men are deserving of a special status? Thanks.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I can't say I buy into the "Daddy's Little Princess" theory - at least not for my generation. I think the sense of entitlement (and you men have it too, but I suspect the source is different) comes from somewhere else.

When I was in grade school in the late 70s to early 80s, I was taught that as a future woman of the US I could do anything and could be anything. A lot of this was absolutely delusional. For instance, when we learned about a woman's self sufficiency and equality in the work place, it was always in the context of nice, tidy white collar job. You can be a doctor! You can be a lawyer! I supposethat is true, but the reality is, most people aren't doctors and lawyers. I never saw pictures showing me that I could one day support myself by collecting garbage, or fixing things, or any number of boring jobs most people have to do to put food on the table on a daily basis. What I learned in school was only the pie-in-the-sky choices that perhaps 10% of people can actually achieve. The truth is, working is a grind. I don't mind doing it, but let's get honest with girls.

I also had it drummed in to me that I can have it all. I can be a CEO, and be the perfect mother too. (A good wife too, but that was downplayed a lot.) This is of course an outright lie. I don't care what anyone says - and most likely a few women here will yell at me about this - but you can't be great at all. There just isn't enough time in the day.
I think a lot of women around my age seem like princesses because of their wants and unrealistic expectations about what they deserve, but who wouldn't after having this stuff drummed into your head day after day? I was told that as woman I am awesome and deserved to have the best of everything.

I can go on but I gotta run!
Excellent point. All you hear about is the glass ceiling, but rare if ever do you hear about a feminist saying women can be garbage collectors, roofers, or ditch diggers. 92-96% of workplace deaths are by men. Part of why men, as a whole, make more than women, as a whole, is that they have the lion's share of most dangerous jobs, many of which pay very well. That pay comes at a price of higher risk to one's life in many cases.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:21 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Could you try that over in English? I'm not trying to be insulting, but it's garbled...maybe some punctuation would help? Or calming down?
Actually you are insulting as you frequently interlard personal attacks in your posts. It is also over dramatic crap. It has a few comma errors. I was also working. Sort through it and stop being a hypocrite with your comma errors with your conjunction of two sentences which I corrected in bold.

Where do morons get off correcting people when they make the same mistakes? Where do they get these people? ...people telling me I "mispelled" a huge multisyllabic word when they can't even spell themselves...

Last edited by gwynedd1; 01-20-2010 at 07:41 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 07:28 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times
Well all I can say is to the people just painting up a portrait of the opposite sex being the cause of all your problems is to enjoy each other. You deserve to be miserable and alone. I know I will just cuddle with my wife tonight, and I know for certain other people like beachmel, JustJulia and Max's Mama, who are not lunatics, will also go home to their SOs and somehow not make them an object of execration.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 PM

53 posts, read 101,941 times
Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoMariaUrameshi View Post
Feminism - Salon.com

It just seems like more and more people are miserable.Every married person or person in a relationship that I know is unhappy and they tell me don't get married and have kids it ruins everything. Or "men suck, they are pig, dogs" or "women are too independant, they need to get back to the kitchen". Everyone is always getting divorces, its like you're bound to fail if you marry. I remember there was a time that people stayed married for life now, people have 48 hour marriages.

I glad that feminism allowed me to work, get an education, vote, and gave me abortion rights but I never asked for it to make everything equal! I hate "going Dutch" or paying for dates and meals for a man, I believe that a man is suppose to pay for dinner and dates, I would only pay for a guy unless it's his b-day, graudation, he got a promotion or a raise. I miss men being MEN! Holding doors, taking charge, being the leader, being go getters. There is nothing more sexier than a dominant Alpha male.

I don't 'serve a man' just because it tells me to in the Bible. I serve a man out of respect to him. I serve a man out of love for him. I serve a man out of a loyalty to him.I like the view from atop my pedestal and see no reason to come down.If you enjoy your feminism, then more power to you. Just don't take away my right to not be a feminist.
I agree that women should have rights but shouldn't be righteous about it, as far abortions go, there should be limits because although sex can be safe ultimately sperm will find a way, and if your not willing(as 2 individuals) to support a child you shouldn't have sex. or at least get fixed before hand. I just view it as mutilatious and extremely unhealthy. some circumstances are ok but the guy should at least have the option of having the baby transplanted into a woman who is willing to have the child -many are and can't. Right now guy's have less rights, and since it takes two and ya'll want equality where is it? Aside from that, where men can never bear children, women can never live independently, somewhere in the picture a guy is getting paid to do something because woman may be willing to do everything but won't actually physically do everything, Sure I know a female roofer, but she has help, show me a female who will do an entire roof by herself. It won't happen. Now having equal rights now ideally is great, but I'd like to point out that women not being allowed to do certain things was viewed in negative connotation. I can plainly see why, but what women fail to reckognize is that men made it this way out of respect and love for women and far too often it is taken the wrong way. Control is manipulative context. remember that women often have emotional flux and Often make irrational decisions during these times. I actually got fired once by a female boss who later informed me that it was soley because she was ragging it. Now you want to put a woman in charge of a military? I see potential problems with this. I see us all being equal, but I also see things are a certain way for a reason and the context of these reasons are often misconstrued. As long as we have physical differences we should have limitations, not because we want to be in control, but because rationality is important and we love and want to protect you(and ourselves)

Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,728,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Well all I can say is to the people just painting up a portrait of the opposite sex being the cause of all your problems is to enjoy each other. You deserve to be miserable and alone. I know I will just cuddle with my wife tonight, and I know for certain other people like beachmel, JustJulia and Max's Mama, who are not lunatics, will also go home to their SOs and somehow not make them an object of execration.
Excellent post! What a sad existence some of the radical "blamers" must lead. It is nice to know that there are others out there who can see both sides of a situation, because there IS no black and white to this issue. Oh.....and yes, I very much enjoy my time with my S.O., whether simply sitting quietly and enjoying a television program, talking, playing with our grandgoober, or doing remodeling projects together.

It is unfortunate that some people are incapable of looking at themselves in the mirror and saying, "I am where I am, because of choices I have made. I am not where I am because someone held me back or prevented me from being something I'd rather be. If I don't like where I am, I need to do something about it, not whine and complain, not blame others for my inadequacies and failures, but actively work to become the person I want to be. I am going to do exactly that, and I am NOT going to tread on someone else to do it, but rather, simply be the best person I can possibly be."

This attack on feminism is nothing more than a version of "white supremacy", disguised as "male-supremacy". Supremicists do not accept blame for theirs or their ancestor's choices....they constantly find someone to blame because the world does not bow down and kiss their butts, then thank them for the privilege. What I find to be ironic is that there is never an end to who they'll blame. Personally, I see them as a collective group of mentally ill individuals who have found a bunch of other mentally ill individuals who share their delusions of grandeur and delusions of persecution......in a nutshell! Feminism isn't the problem...these "supreme" folks are.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
This is a weird thread. The people I know respect the other sex and most have great long term relationships and an equal partnership.

I love the women in my life and give them the respect they deserve.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Feminism isn't the problem...these "supreme" folks are.
Right there is your problem. What you fail to realize is it's the feminists that are now the "supreme" folks you're talking about. Feminism may once upon a time been about gender equality, but it's been a long time since that's been the core of their ideology. Now it's primarily all about the benefits for women, regardless of whether or not it's fair or equal. The evidence is the laws they lobby for in the fact of mountains of research to the contrary. VAWA is a good example.

About 15-20 years ago feminism split where the hardliners toed the line, whereas the moderates that were actually interested in equality started distancing themselves from each others. Any woman that dared speak up about actually wanting to be a housewife was seen as a traitor, any feminist that dared question the research methods being used was cast out as a pariah. Things have slowly started to move back to the middle as MRAs are shaking hands with the centralist feminists. It turns out they actually want the same exact things. As Dr Paul stated in the youtube speech, women need to own up to their half of the feminism bargain by taking their fair share of responsibility. As the Futurist spoke of about the misandry bubble, it's going to be today and tomorrow's young women that suffer if things don't move to the middle gracefully. Right now it looks like it's going to be a very quick, abrupt social change.

And in case you're wondering who "gender equalists" are, look up Christina Hoff Sommers and Warren Farrell. They're like the Ron Paul of Republicans where Cheney & the neocons run amok claiming to be run of the mill Republicans. They're not the same despite having the same party affiliation. It's highly ironic being able to say this, but it's absolutely true...

Not all feminists are equal.

Last edited by Nutz76; 01-20-2010 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships