Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:38 PM

396 posts, read 732,764 times

Advertisements

Let me guess... these are single friends?

Because I have a feeling that if they were the girlfriend or fiance in question, they'd probably be singing a very different tune... or else making bold statements about their own ability to "keep their man," and such. But if it came right down to it, and some girl was hitting on their guy... the claws would come out and they'd be calling the "interloper" all sorts of lovely names.

Double standards abound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 03:11 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
I consider "single" to be a legal status. I am single. I'm in a relationship...but if I'm not married, then I'm single. And it's up to the married person to let any pursuers know that he/she is married.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:21 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,731,483 times
If he's some woman's man, let it go. If he's attached, being with him will mean drama. Trust and believe. All the rationalizing in the world about boxes on tax forms won't mean a hill of beans if he's got a "baby mama" and she is not about to let the father of her children walk, just like that. She probably fell for the "marriage is just a meaningless piece of paper" line, so she's all the more determined not to let him leave. So, in essence, you'll be dealing with an enraged common law spouse if you "mess with him"

Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
It's not up to your friends to decide the rules in someone else's relationship. It sounds more like justification to feed their egos with the conquest of tagging someone else's man. Just my opinion.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I was talking to a couple girlfriends and they all pretty much agreed that as long as a man isn't married, they are fair game. They said being engaged is the start of a committed relationship so they wouldn't pursue a relationship with man who is engaged however if the man pursued them depending on the guy, they may be interested but they wouldn't start a physical relationship with him unless he ends the engagement with his fiancé. They all agreed that married men were off limits.

Their reasoning behind this is

#1 A girlfriend is the girl he likes most out of his friend girls but he's not serious enough about her yet to start a committed relationship which equals making her a fiancé. And until she becomes a fiancé, she's just the girl who's at the top of his list but he's still exploring his options and keeping himself available in case someone better comes along

#2 A fiancé is the start of a committed relationship and this is the time you decide whether or not this is a person you can be with until death do you part. But since an engagement doesn't guarantee marriage, the person can still have a change of heart but the odds of that happening are pretty slim. So getting involved with a man who is engaged will more than likely not work in your favor.

#3 Marriage is a legal union that officially makes you no longer single. Since there is no box for boyfriend/girlfriend or engaged/fiancé on the tax form, marriage is the only valid commitment and getting involved with a married person is breaking the law/adultery.

What are your thoughts?
I don't need a piece of paper to tell me that I have a "valid" commitment. Many couples have that piece of paper and cheat their arses off; on the other hand, many couples just look each other in the eyes and just agree that they're "off the market" and hardly even THINK about cheating on each other.

As far as your girlfriends, I think they have little class. Any man who is involved with a woman in monogamous relationships (no matter the status) SHOULD be off limits. As far as thier reasons, they are just trying to justify their selfish actions.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:21 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
While you technically may be single until married--in a either/or world--you shouldn't get into the middle of other people's relationships. Unless that whole scene is what both of you are into. Not to be judgemental or anything, but I personally believe in exclusive relationships, and I think that most people also think in terms of exclusive relationships.

Those friends--they would have no problems if their boyfriends had someone "on the side"? Or are they pushing for an engagement, at minimum?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:24 PM

645 posts, read 1,452,501 times
Yes your single until your married, if it wasn't true then why come they won't let u claim your boyfriend as your husband on your taxes. People need to stop playing house and get married, this is why many people won't ever get married, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. Stop playing yourselves ladies, and make these men put a ring on it and marry you.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:07 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
Yes your single until your married, if it wasn't true then why come they won't let u claim your boyfriend as your husband on your taxes. People need to stop playing house and get married, this is why many people won't ever get married, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. Stop playing yourselves ladies, and make these men put a ring on it and marry you.
yes!

Not that anyone in a committed relationship, regardless of status should go around looking for someone better or cheat, but I think the bottom line is that if any or both people in the relationship are looking for "something better" while they're "exclusive" to each other, then they're definitely not in it for the long haul and are clearly never getting married to each other, unless their into that sort of life catastrophe type of thing. In that case, that is when its just a matter of time that the couple "breaks up" and becomes "available"..yes quotes for everything because those are terms always used to describe the situations.

I've also learned that if a man wants me and he believes in marriage like I do, it won't take him more than 2 years to put a ring on it, but in the meantime, I gotta show him that since we're not legally binded, I can up and leave the relationship if at any moment I'm unhappy, for a man that would make me happier. Not that I couldn't up and leave in a marriage, its just that divorce is much more complicated than saying "we're over" on all levels. I'm however not willing to work as hard to fix a broken relationship that I don't see making the altar as I would be in one that I saw getting there someday and if I'm willing to do that in a relationship, there's no way I'd leave a marriage in any sort of "rough patch" or "dry spell".

Hope all that made sense.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
yes!

Not that anyone in a committed relationship, regardless of status should go around looking for someone better or cheat, but I think the bottom line is that if any or both people in the relationship are looking for "something better" while they're "exclusive" to each other, then they're definitely not in it for the long haul and are clearly never getting married to each other, unless their into that sort of life catastrophe type of thing. In that case, that is when its just a matter of time that the couple "breaks up" and becomes "available"..yes quotes for everything because those are terms always used to describe the situations.

I've also learned that if a man wants me and he believes in marriage like I do, it won't take him more than 2 years to put a ring on it, but in the meantime, I gotta show him that since we're not legally binded, I can up and leave the relationship if at any moment I'm unhappy, for a man that would make me happier. Not that I couldn't up and leave in a marriage, its just that divorce is much more complicated than saying "we're over" on all levels. I'm however not willing to work as hard to fix a broken relationship that I don't see making the altar as I would be in one that I saw getting there someday and if I'm willing to do that in a relationship, there's no way I'd leave a marriage in any sort of "rough patch" or "dry spell".

Hope all that made sense.
Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon. Both in long term committed relationships--that aren't marriage. On the other hand, Liz Taylor and Julia Roberts, how many times have they been married now?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
I may technically be single but in my heart I am not available. I could not fathom being with anyone but this one person right now - and I don't want to.

I think it's individual definition/preference. As long as you're honest with your partner about it, then who cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships