Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,342,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon. Both in long term committed relationships--that aren't marriage. On the other hand, Liz Taylor and Julia Roberts, how many times have they been married now?
They broke up a while ago. At least they didn't have to fight over assets 'cause they weren't married
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:42 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I was talking to a couple girlfriends and they all pretty much agreed that as long as a man isn't married, they are fair game. They said being engaged is the start of a committed relationship so they wouldn't pursue a relationship with man who is engaged however if the man pursued them depending on the guy, they may be interested but they wouldn't start a physical relationship with him unless he ends the engagement with his fiancé. They all agreed that married men were off limits.

Their reasoning behind this is

#1 A girlfriend is the girl he likes most out of his friend girls but he's not serious enough about her yet to start a committed relationship which equals making her a fiancé. And until she becomes a fiancé, she's just the girl who's at the top of his list but he's still exploring his options and keeping himself available in case someone better comes along

#2 A fiancé is the start of a committed relationship and this is the time you decide whether or not this is a person you can be with until death do you part. But since an engagement doesn't guarantee marriage, the person can still have a change of heart but the odds of that happening are pretty slim. So getting involved with a man who is engaged will more than likely not work in your favor.

#3 Marriage is a legal union that officially makes you no longer single. Since there is no box for boyfriend/girlfriend or engaged/fiancé on the tax form, marriage is the only valid commitment and getting involved with a married person is breaking the law/adultery.

What are your thoughts?
This is how it is in the East.

Men have 2 states - bachelor or married. The bachelor state is generally synonymous with the "single" word used in this part of the world. Women go after a bachelor even if he has a lady love. Nothing is serious until they marry. Even engagement is not serious.

This is because men get married and get seriously married. The divorce rate is like less than 10%. Marriage is valued and it means that once married, the man is locked for good. Until then, he's up for grabs. And vice versa.

It can get a little shady in the West....... marriage is just a certificate that can be written and re-written any number of times.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,666,265 times
this thread makes me want to throw up... i cant believe how many people completely disregard their committed relationships... I know thats not what this is about, but it made me think about it and just makes me queasy.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:47 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
this thread makes me want to throw up... i cant believe how many people completely disregard their committed relationships... I know thats not what this is about, but it made me think about it and just makes me queasy.
If you are truly committed, then why worry

Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 PM

645 posts, read 1,452,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
yes!

Not that anyone in a committed relationship, regardless of status should go around looking for someone better or cheat, but I think the bottom line is that if any or both people in the relationship are looking for "something better" while they're "exclusive" to each other, then they're definitely not in it for the long haul and are clearly never getting married to each other, unless their into that sort of life catastrophe type of thing. In that case, that is when its just a matter of time that the couple "breaks up" and becomes "available"..yes quotes for everything because those are terms always used to describe the situations.

I've also learned that if a man wants me and he believes in marriage like I do, it won't take him more than 2 years to put a ring on it, but in the meantime, I gotta show him that since we're not legally binded, I can up and leave the relationship if at any moment I'm unhappy, for a man that would make me happier. Not that I couldn't up and leave in a marriage, its just that divorce is much more complicated than saying "we're over" on all levels. I'm however not willing to work as hard to fix a broken relationship that I don't see making the altar as I would be in one that I saw getting there someday and if I'm willing to do that in a relationship, there's no way I'd leave a marriage in any sort of "rough patch" or "dry spell".

Hope all that made sense.
Made alot of sense to me and I agree completely!!!

Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,977,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesprecious09 View Post
Yes your single until your married, if it wasn't true then why come they won't let u claim your boyfriend as your husband on your taxes. People need to stop playing house and get married, this is why many people won't ever get married, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free. Stop playing yourselves ladies, and make these men put a ring on it and marry you.

Yes that's their sentiments exactly. They're not saying they're purposely going around looking for men who are already involved but that men are always exploring their options and it's the women who play wife and give 100% when they're not getting it in return and they refuse to cheat themselves. Until a man puts a ring on it, he is not committed to you and until you're officially married he still has the right to choose someone else. Women close their options and men continue to explore theirs. They said they're not going to hold themselves accountable for what another woman fails to do for herself.

My friends are not married but they're dating and they believe there's no inbetween. They said they're not going to stop pursing relationships until they have a ring on their finger.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
It's completely possible to be in an exclusive, monogamous relationship without getting married. I don't need others' approbation or sanction to be in one.

And I consider a woman in a relationship to be completely off-limits.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:24 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
When you fill out forms like your tax return what box do you check, single or married?

While we all know there are various aspects of being single like living together, or LTR, the bottom line is are you single or married and if you are not married you're single. How YOU choose to recognize your singlehood based on your relationships is really a matter of individual definition.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:29 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Oh, TRUST me, Thursday, I've had this conversation with my ex-girlfriend--and said that exact thing. It annoyed her. In a black and white world, you are either single or married. If they offered the choice of "in a relationship" or "not in a relationship" that would be another "black or white" option. She asked me to change a profile on a dating site to indicate I was taken. That option didn't exist, so I had to edit the profile itself to indicate my status.

EDIT: I would like to see the option given on the 1040 for being in a relationship that is not marriage, but where you are still supporting a woman and/or her kids.

Last edited by TKramar; 05-16-2010 at 03:45 AM..

Old 05-16-2010, 03:40 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Oh, TRUST me, Thursday, I've had this conversation with my ex-girlfriend--and said that exact thing. It annoyed her. In a black and white world, you are either single or married. If they offered the choice of "in a relationship" or "not in a relationship" that would be another "black or white" option. She asked me to change a profile on a dating site to indicate I was taken. That option didn't exist, so I had to edit the profile itself to indicate my status.
This isn't the first time this issue has been threaded in here. And we can go round and round and round. It's all individual recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships