Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:22 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,977,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
I see what you're saying and I agree. what I meant was, if people are just not proving their commitment to each other in some way, then one or the other is going to keep looking for something better, that's just life, signed paper or not.

As for me, I believe in marriage and the way I see it, if a man isn't gonna be serious enough to propose after things are getting serious enough to consider it and I've shown my devotion to him, then I better find someone who will. And if one won't, someone else will and that's the point I was trying to make, that I'm fair game to another man, as long as we're "in a relationship". It may not mean I want to be fair game, but I pretty much am so if I'm unhappy in a relationship and I don't see it going anywhere, I'm at liberty to take the "better" partner at my convenience. That's not cheating, its just looking for "the one".

ciera-I agree, but if he's lying about his status, he clearly isn't going to make that commitment of marriage and is himself either looking for "the one" or just an a*shole who takes his SO for granted. In either case, that would still make the 2 people technically "single" since it becomes obvious its not forever with a couple like that.

And to the person that said a man can cheat in a marriage too and/or in a "relationship", well if he shows fidelity issues in any way before the marriage, the women who marries him is blind and chose poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
ya, that's the whole point of the OP and some people are taking it the wrong way. "dating" and "relationships" is nothing but a test of seeing "is this person marriage material" and if you're not dating for that reason, then you're just sleeping around, in my opinion or wasting yours and the other persons time. If people see in this testing stage that its not going to the altar, then it needs to end and that is why essentially you're "single" unless that happens, which is when the "relationship" is moved to the "engagement" stage then marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,983,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Here is how I see it...

Most women are in a relationship of some sort.

As they move along in their daily activities they make it known.

When Mr. New guy comes along they seem to let it be known they are taken. HOWEVER, shortly there after "Mr. New guy" gets a call informing him that they are now in a single state.

How soon some women get over a long term relationship.

So it's like they all have a relationship so as to not look different but then when they see something new they want they dump their current boyfriend and pursue the new eye candy.
Have had and heard that happen quite often.
They have a man, but they offer friendship.
All of a sudden the guy is gone in the wind......
That looks like a situation of trying to get another bird in hand before letting the first one fly.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,732,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
if he is living with another woman, he is not available. he is also a cheater if he sees you, this should be a head up but for many woman its not. we live in a strange society, we only have male cheaters. in greece its the tempter that is evil-- here its the one with the erection.
Just an observation, there is always one tempter and one who allows him or herself to be tempted. If a man who is already in a relationship decides to hit on a woman, she is not the tempter. He is the head of whatever household he is residing in, and it is his responsibility to avoid doing anything to destroy that household. Women have sexual desires, too. They don't have to act on every single desire they feel. They have the power to decline an invitiation extended to them.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
Not single until married, other than tax purposes. If you have a steady S/O, you're involved and off limits. The end.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:11 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
On a literal level you are single until you're married on an emotional level there are various levels. Please check one.

Married____

___Yes, 100%

____Yes, but waiting until the kids turn 18 then I'm divorcing his or her ass

____Yes, but dating on the side

____Not quite divorced but available

____Seperated but dating

____We're signing the papers sometime this month and I've been seeing this other girl/guy for a year now.

Single_____

___Not seeing or sleeping with anyone at the moment and my friends think there is something wrong with me.

___In A relationship

___Living together

___Sort of - it's been 6 months, we haven't said I love you or anything, but I know I'm the only person he/she is seeing.

___Not sure, but maybe.

____I hope we're in a relationship - and if not I know we will be.

____Hey, man I just slept with her a couple times no big deal, (even though I call/text her everyday)

____ We went out a couple times and I think I'm going to score tonight.

____Other

Last edited by Thursday007; 05-18-2010 at 04:35 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 05:49 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,977,786 times
^^^Lol!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Not single until married, other than tax purposes. If you have a steady S/O, you're involved and off limits. The end.
There are a lot more entities than tax purposes. Welfare for example is predicated on whether you are married or single and they don't care if you're in a relationship or engaged. Unemployement. Insurance paperwork you fill out at the hopital. Health and doctor records -whether you're married on not has a signifiant factor in your health. Census records and the amount of resouces allocated to individual areas based on this information - i.e, single mothers or fathers. And form after form after form has a check box single or married and not sub obtions as described above.

Plus one has to first define what a 'relationship' is and from the looks of it marriage needs to be defined as well.

Last edited by Thursday007; 05-18-2010 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
I wonder if there's a check box for "Married, not living with spouse"--not even knowing where spouse is.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I wonder if there's a check box for "Married, not living with spouse"--not even knowing where spouse is.
That would fall under seperated because I forgot 'other' on that list, in as much a I forgot 'engaged' under single.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's not up to your friends to decide the rules in someone else's relationship. It sounds more like justification to feed their egos with the conquest of tagging someone else's man. Just my opinion.
I totally agree. Sounds like a bunch of desperates who cannot get a man of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships