Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,731,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Yes that's their sentiments exactly. They're not saying they're purposely going around looking for men who are already involved but that men are always exploring their options and it's the women who play wife and give 100% when they're not getting it in return and they refuse to cheat themselves. Until a man puts a ring on it, he is not committed to you and until you're officially married he still has the right to choose someone else. Women close their options and men continue to explore theirs. They said they're not going to hold themselves accountable for what another woman fails to do for herself.

My friends are not married but they're dating and they believe there's no inbetween. They said they're not going to stop pursing relationships until they have a ring on their finger.
Note to women who want a man to "put a ring on it" The ring will not stop them from cheating, and they will remember that you came after them when they were involved with another woman when they decide to cheat on you. Remember that men and women have different ideas of what defines "Fair Game" You think they're gonna forget something like that, because of a minister and a rented tux, a little overpriced cake? Nope. Not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 AM

147 posts, read 296,738 times
Personally, I would NEVER date a guy that has a girlfriend and especially not one that is engaged. Obviously, a man can lie and say he is single--but technically you are not single if you are in an exclusive relationship whether it's a boyfriend/girlfriend scenario or an engagement. Why would these women want a man who already made another woman feel secure about their status? How could YOU ever feel secure in a relationship with a man that only believes he is taken if he has exchanged wedding vows? Please, if a guy can't stay faithful during the dating and engagement stage than there is no way he will be faithful during the marriage.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:27 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,412,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon. Both in long term committed relationships--that aren't marriage. On the other hand, Liz Taylor and Julia Roberts, how many times have they been married now?
I see what you're saying and I agree. what I meant was, if people are just not proving their commitment to each other in some way, then one or the other is going to keep looking for something better, that's just life, signed paper or not.

As for me, I believe in marriage and the way I see it, if a man isn't gonna be serious enough to propose after things are getting serious enough to consider it and I've shown my devotion to him, then I better find someone who will. And if one won't, someone else will and that's the point I was trying to make, that I'm fair game to another man, as long as we're "in a relationship". It may not mean I want to be fair game, but I pretty much am so if I'm unhappy in a relationship and I don't see it going anywhere, I'm at liberty to take the "better" partner at my convenience. That's not cheating, its just looking for "the one".

ciera-I agree, but if he's lying about his status, he clearly isn't going to make that commitment of marriage and is himself either looking for "the one" or just an a*shole who takes his SO for granted. In either case, that would still make the 2 people technically "single" since it becomes obvious its not forever with a couple like that.

And to the person that said a man can cheat in a marriage too and/or in a "relationship", well if he shows fidelity issues in any way before the marriage, the women who marries him is blind and chose poorly.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:30 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,007,888 times
Why in the world would you want to date someone who could not prove their faith to you? If a guy isn't sure he wants to be with me - with or without a ring - he can hit the door.

I think low self-worth/confidence is the culprit in the "he can date whomever he likes."

Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Why in the world would you want to date someone who could not prove their faith to you? If a guy isn't sure he wants to be with me - with or without a ring - he can hit the door.

I think low self-worth/confidence is the culprit in the "he can date whomever he likes."
Thank you!! why do people stay in these "relationships" that are clearly not headed for that serious commitment?

Old 05-16-2010, 12:48 PM

147 posts, read 296,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Thank you!! why do people stay in these "relationships" that are clearly not headed for that serious commitment?
Exactly! I don't pour my heart and soul into building a solid foundation for a relationship if I wasn't expecting to create a life with this person. The communication and trust must start at the beginning, otherwise you are building an empire on sand instead of cement...and it will crumble...

Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cieramc View Post
Exactly! I don't pour my heart and soul into building a solid foundation for a relationship if I wasn't expecting to create a life with this person. The communication and trust must start at the beginning, otherwise you are building an empire on sand instead of cement...and it will crumble...
ya, that's the whole point of the OP and some people are taking it the wrong way. "dating" and "relationships" is nothing but a test of seeing "is this person marriage material" and if you're not dating for that reason, then you're just sleeping around, in my opinion or wasting yours and the other persons time. If people see in this testing stage that its not going to the altar, then it needs to end and that is why essentially you're "single" unless that happens, which is when the "relationship" is moved to the "engagement" stage then marriage.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:01 PM

769 posts, read 1,013,865 times
i agree you goota fight for what you want

Old 05-16-2010, 06:23 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
This is funny. I was watching this new game show I had recorded, and so far it's been guys looking for women on it. It's called "Baggage"--everyone has it, according to the premise of the show.

So, after hearing about each woman's baggage, he eliminates the one he feels has something that he can't deal with. Then, once he picks one of them, she gets to decide if she can't handle his ONE thing (vs. her three).

Well, in this episode she rejected him because he was once engaged to three women at the same time. To a guy like me, that's mind boggling. He claims he got swept up in the moment and didn't want to hurt any feelings. HELLO!--you're engaged to one woman, shouldn't you NOT be seeing other women in the meantime?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:45 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I was talking to a couple girlfriends and they all pretty much agreed that as long as a man isn't married, they are fair game. They said being engaged is the start of a committed relationship so they wouldn't pursue a relationship with man who is engaged however if the man pursued them depending on the guy, they may be interested but they wouldn't start a physical relationship with him unless he ends the engagement with his fiancé. They all agreed that married men were off limits.

Their reasoning behind this is

#1 A girlfriend is the girl he likes most out of his friend girls but he's not serious enough about her yet to start a committed relationship which equals making her a fiancé. And until she becomes a fiancé, she's just the girl who's at the top of his list but he's still exploring his options and keeping himself available in case someone better comes along

#2 A fiancé is the start of a committed relationship and this is the time you decide whether or not this is a person you can be with until death do you part. But since an engagement doesn't guarantee marriage, the person can still have a change of heart but the odds of that happening are pretty slim. So getting involved with a man who is engaged will more than likely not work in your favor.

#3 Marriage is a legal union that officially makes you no longer single. Since there is no box for boyfriend/girlfriend or engaged/fiancé on the tax form, marriage is the only valid commitment and getting involved with a married person is breaking the law/adultery.

What are your thoughts?
They sound like lawyers.
I wonder if either would still feel this way if one were in a LTR and the other slept with the boyfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships