Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
It is Allegory. Types and Shadows. Parables, etc... Don't read it as a literal book or a history book. It is a spiritual book, not to be read with a carnal/literal mindset.

Peace -
Heartsong
This should be printed on the inside cover of every bible as a disclaimer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
No wonder you now believe in universalism. When one stops reading God's word they are never going in the right direction.
Where did I say I stopped reading God's Word? And what has that got to do with universalism? Puleeze. Talk about self-righteous. I don't read the OT but I do reference it. I believe that a lot of it was written at a time when EVERYTHING was attributed to God, even the bad and that's not a true picture of God. It's a personal choice and has nothing to do with my belief in universalism.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
It is Allegory. Types and Shadows. Parables, etc... Don't read it as a literal book or a history book. It is a spiritual book, not to be read with a carnal/literal mindset.

Peace -
Heartsong
No it is not allegory. There is some allegory but it is clear when that is the case. The Bible is literal in most cases. To allegorize what is literal allows all kinds of heresies to be born. There is history, and there is poetry, and there is literalness. The word of God must be rightly divided.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,667 times
Quote:
How do I wrap my brain around a murdering Christian God?

Don't.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:57 AM

312 posts, read 868,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Blue View Post
The act of murder is rampant in the Bible, so for Muslims and the rest

I love God but how do I get around all that he murders, I truly don't want to have anything to do with a murdering God and using logic for me doesn't answer it ether.
thanks
SubBlue, I know... you can't wrap your head around that- and really you shouldn't because that is not who He is.

Please read the publication "What Does The Bible Really Teach?" It is available to read online at Publications Available - Jehovah's Witnesses Official Web Site

Use it with your Bible to look up the scriptures, and it will put your mind to rest as it answers all of your questions.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
God is soveign, so it is entirely up to him to do with us as he pleases.

Romans 9

"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion"

Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. 11Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God's purpose in election might stand: 12not by works but by him who calls—she was told, "The older will serve the younger." 13Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."[

Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
Quote:

Peace -
Heartsong

The killing in the OT foreshadows the "killing" of the carnal nature in the NT.

God's judgments bring forth righteousness. Man's judgment brings forth his own destruction.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,701,487 times
Quote:
How do I wrap my brain around a murdering Christian God?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Don't.
Yup, your correct !!!
It is God who wraps Himself around our thinking if we will allow Him !!
Then one will come to the TRUTH and a right understanding to why for this....." How do I wrap my brain around a murdering Christian God? "

Old 06-28-2010, 08:30 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Where did I say I stopped reading God's Word? And what has that got to do with universalism? Puleeze. Talk about self-righteous. I don't read the OT but I do reference it. I believe that a lot of it was written at a time when EVERYTHING was attributed to God, even the bad and that's not a true picture of God. It's a personal choice and has nothing to do with my belief in universalism.

I just wrote this reply in another thread which might underline your point here:

Quote:
Exactly! I'm not saying this because I am NOT a Christian either. Christian or not, it is simple logic. All of the above have been going on long BEFORE man arrived on this planet and will continue whether we are here or not. In fact, they have ALL had a hand in shaping the planet we now inhabit. We just happen to get in the way or try to harness nature's power and course to our own eventual demise.

I posted a quote from the great Robert Ingersoll around here somewhere. He said that our ignorance manifests itself in the need for gods in order to explain the unknown and mysterious, but science makes previous mysteries foregone answered conclusions so we can KNOW for fact.

Here is how it works and I will use the bible and biblical characters as an example as biblical writers were also products of ignorant times. When King Saul became jealous of David, his mood naturally changed toward the young man. Saul probably was a manic depressive or just began to suffer from boughts of depression. Those are things we know today because of what? Science! Now, do you think the ancient writer knew of any such medical conditions? So how does he interpret Saul's behavior? He writes that Saul's behavior was a DIRECT result of god sending an 'evil spirit' to torment him. First of all, who informed the writer of this invisible spirit tormenting Saul? Did he see it? Did god let him in on the secret? Would you like to believe that your god torments people with evil spirits just to get back at them? Of course not! This is the dilemma [SOME] Christians place themselves in when they start to attribute all kinds of NATURAL occurences and breakdowns in nature to their god.

To the ancient writer, he attributed "god" to his IGNORANCE, but if he lived today and educated himself about such things, what would he say? Of course, there are some who try to skirt around the obvious problem of inserting "god" and rather, pin such things on the devil and demons. That too poses its own share of problems when you begin to go that route.

It really does NOT take rocket science. I mean, it really doesn't. *sigh*

Old 06-28-2010, 08:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Where did I say I stopped reading God's Word? And what has that got to do with universalism? Puleeze. Talk about self-righteous. I don't read the OT but I do reference it.
Post #5 by you: I don't read the NT either....it doesn't represent God as I see Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality