Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Here's a footnote I found on Bible Gateway:
  1. 2 Kings 2:23 This incident has long been misunderstood because the Hebrew word "naar" was translated "little boys." That these characteristic juvenile delinquents were old enough to be fully accountable is obvious from the use of the word elsewhere. For example, it was used by David of his son Solomon and translated "young and inexperienced," when Solomon was a father (I Chron. 22:5; cf. I Kings 14:21 and II Chron. 9:30 ). It was used of Joseph when he was seventeen (Gen. 37:2). In fact, not less than seventy times in the King James Version this word "naar" is translated "young man" or "young men."
2 Kings 2:23-24 - Passage*Lookup - Amplified Bible - BibleGateway.com
Amazing how the trusty King James is suddenly wrong when it comes to a controversial scripture. How can you trust the Bible when the ancient languages are misinterpreted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 05:38 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Wow, that's some scary "morality" there. Leads to bad things when people convince others they are working "for God".

So mocking God is a valid crime for the death penalty?

Before the 10 Commandments one could kill others if they thought God told them to. Yet today we have the 10 Commandments which tells us not to murder.

And the bears that were sent to kill those who mocked the bald man were killed not by the bald man, but by God's will. The fact is God removes people all the time. So for you to believe that people still have the right to kill people when they believe they hear the voice of God instructing them to do so, would be in error.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
God murdered all the first born males of Egypt during the passover. There was no just cause for that.

Of course the apologists will come on here and say he did it because he was trying to teach Pharoah a lesson or some such nonsense. But the simple fact is that the individuals who were killed were murdered (innocent victims).

Another funny thing about that story is that God also killed all the first born male cattle that night...........which is really weird because he had already killed all the cattle a couple of plagues before that.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That verse could be more appropriately translated as "Thou shalt not kill without cause.", ie: murder.

Obviously, God did not just go around killing people willy-nilly and had a purpose for it, so He's not a murderer.

Granted, we may not like or agree with, or even understand His purposes, but He is who He is and we can either accept that, or waste time raging against the machine.
One could say that of Hitler, Mao, Stalin, and many others. Having "a purpose for it," is no excuse and doesn't begin to explain the irrational, murderous, hateful, and homicidal behavior of the OT "God." People often debate who the greatest murderer of all time is, they often forget about "God" because he makes Stalin look like a choir boy.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Amazing how the trusty King James is suddenly wrong when it comes to a controversial scripture. How can you trust the Bible when the ancient languages are misinterpreted?
Oh that's how religionists always work. They pick and choose from different sources, leave out certain facts, massage certain facts, all in an attempt to patch together a semi-coherent ideology.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:41 AM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
I talked to a couple of religious relatives of mine about this matter and they both agreed that when God had people murdered it was always for a good reason. I brought up the 'death to those who don't keep the sabbath' thing and they actually thought this was a reasonable action by God. They justified it, saying that God wanted to show how serious he was about the need for people to obey him.

Is this really how Christians think? Does God not have to stand trial for any of his actions? (And these relatives of mine are Catholics, not fundamentalists or anything extreme.)

Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
I think that if God had to stand trial for Gods actions there would be numerous charges God would have to account for: Genocide, extortion, cohersion just to name a few.

I don't understand just why God needs for us to obey God, is God that insecure. Why would a God who created everything have any needs, could God just create what God needed. It is amazing how this God was suppose to give man "free will" then get all pissed off because man excerised his free will.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:26 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I think that if God had to stand trial for Gods actions there would be numerous charges God would have to account for: Genocide, extortion, cohersion just to name a few.

I don't understand just why God needs for us to obey God, is God that insecure. Why would a God who created everything have any needs, could God just create what God needed. It is amazing how this God was suppose to give man "free will" then get all pissed off because man excerised his free will.

Awesome post!!! And dead on. But some will just look past it and make excuses for their dictator like god. Some heavy denial.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:30 AM

874 posts, read 1,648,993 times
LOL WRONG BIBLE. God wouldn't say that. He doesn't put people to death who work on the Sabbath.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post

Well said. Religion is one contradiction after another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality