Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 03:41 PM

646 posts, read 634,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Uh..no. There is no need to respect those who believe mythology to be true. The more religion, all religion, is ridiculed the faster it will die off. And this is a good thing.
You are still fast asleep at this 11th hour!
There are billions of religious people who have no access to computers. How would you go about ridiculing religion to all of them?

Besides - ridicule does not, and never has worked.
Jesus and his disciples were ridiculed mercilessly, some of them being confined to prisons. Did it work?
Look at what happened to one jailer and his entire family: Read Acts 16:25-34.
Despite the ridicule, Jesus is stronger now than he ever has been.

Keep this in mind:
“Any weapon whatever that will be formed against you (believers) will have no success, and any tongue at all that will rise up against you, in the judgment you will condemn. This is the hereditary possession of the servants of Jehovah, and their righteousness is from me,” is the utterance of Jehovah.” (Isaiah 54:17)

You really don't know who you're dealing with!

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 05:24 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
wilsoncole: QuixoticHobbit

Hobbit hadn't replied in two whole days, but he probably correctly figured you're either extremely tiresome or you just would throw silly bible quotes.

"Not so fast! First, you need to answer this:"

First of all, I don't NEED to do ANYTHING. If I choose to reply to your demands by posting a Little Lulu comic strip or a recipe for a Tuna Twinkie Souffle, that's what I'll do.

"BIBLE principles? Can you prove any of it?"

Please "prove" anything I've written isn't true.

"If you really can't, do you know what that makes you?
One who spreads lies and lies cause death!"

Just as you calmly advised your friends and family before they had to hurl you out the window.

Christianity lately to me seems like death of human dignity, death of a clear-thinking mind and death of the heart. Bone-chilling, ice-cold hatred from "holy" Christian "spiritual" "leaders" has been all over the newspapers for decades.

Are you just the least bit sensitive to the fact that you drove yourself away from your family and friends?

You did threaten them, didn't you? Just like how one of my friends who returned a wild-eyed, wailing banshee figuratively threatened us with death! Out the window HE went [almost].

Ask me if I have a personal axe to grind here!

"BTW - what is wrong with self-abnegation? Would you object if someone puts your interests ahead of his own? That is the basic objective of Christianity on a personal level."

Well, when your primary objective is to end up in the soft, pink cotton-candy clouds, snuggling your angelic little butt on god's nice, warm almighty lap and laughing at your own parents down there roasting on one of Satan's unholy geological-steam-powered rotisseries.

Please "prove" this is wrong.

“By this we have come to know love, because that one (Jesus) surrendered his soul for us; and we (believers) are under obligation to surrender [our] souls for [our] brothers.” (1 John 3:16)

That is a highly commendable attitude and its application would eliminate wars and their resulting collateral damage, and cuthroat competition in family and business affairs.

The bible does contain some amazing poetry but to let it [or ANY religious concepts] actually take control of your life and your mind is just stupid.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:43 PM

694 posts, read 745,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't believe Christianity is a "sham" per se, although I do believe it to be a man made religion - just like all the other religions. However, I don't really care. I mean - everyone is free to believe what they want to. And just because I don't think it's true - that doesn't mean that it isn't true. I could be wrong. It just doesn't ring true for me, therefore I don't believe in it, therefore I'm not a Christian. But if you do believe it to be true and you are a Christian, I see nothing wrong with it.

Do you want us all to believe Christianity to be true? Because I don't see that happening. And I'm not sure why it matters - we are all free to believe whatever we believe.

Does it matter to you that we all believe that your religion is correct?
This is one of the best responses I have read in the various Christian-related forums. What bothers me are not the people with opinions like the one you stated here, but the people who come out like vampires. These types of people don't just not believe but they want to convince me to not believe, as though they are on commission and will loose money if I continue by belief system. What they think doesn't effect what I believe, but many of them seem to have the idea - that they say we have - of thinking that I can't be taken seriously because I don't put all my faith in mankind's abilities to fix the world. "After all", they seem to think, "how can they (Christians) not see the supremness of us humans?" I am not saying most of them think this way, but it seems to be the way they portray themselves. If they are REALLY after scientific thruth, and science is simply the recording of observations and theorising based upon those observations, until science has all the answers, how can they claim that any believe set is wrong?

Charles Sands

Old 06-13-2011, 08:56 PM

694 posts, read 745,541 times
Quote:
"If you really can't [prove anything], do you know what that makes you?
One who spreads lies and lies cause death!"
So what you are saying is, if someone says anything that they can't prove or can't be proven generally, they are lying? You believe ONLY things that can be proven? You have no theories or opinions on anything? Anytime someone states something that later turns out to be incorrect, they intentional lied... they weren't just mistaken?

Charles Sands

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,864 times
Quote:
Christianity is a Sham
After Jesus ascended back into heaven, the whole thing went sideways. The church, that is. Christianity without Christ is indeed a sham. I know you meant this as a shocking subversive statement, but it's old hat.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Assuming for the moment that "Jesus ascended back into heaven", what do you mean by "the whole thing went sideways"?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Assuming for the moment that "Jesus ascended back into heaven", what do you mean by "the whole thing went sideways"?
I was referring to how the natural sinfulness of man is the inevitable stumbling block to his aspirations of Kingdom. If you know your church history, you know just how hideous things get when human beings try to counterfeit the Grace of God, to replicate it, to plagiarize it.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
I was referring to how the natural sinfulness of man is the inevitable stumbling block to his aspirations of Kingdom.
So if humans are 'naturally' sinful and your god created the first humans...who are we going to blame?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
So if humans are 'naturally' sinful and your god created the first humans...who are we going to blame?
Ourselves.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
You missed Rafius' point. If God made us naturally sinful, it isn't our fault. That is like blaming a cat for stalking birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality