Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 08:47 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,604,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Almighty had absolutely nothing to do with the Christian Bible.

According to Maimonides (Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, otherwise known by the acronym Rambam, 1135-1204 C.E.), "The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses and there will be no other Torah. (Source: Rambam's thirteen principles of faith)

There is no such thing as the christian bible. And God absolutely had everything to do with the bible being written. It was the fisrt book ever printed on a press. It has over 40 different authors, simply unheard of; it was written over a span of 1500 years, simply stunning! It was written on 3 different continents- Africa, Asia and Europe , and written in three different languages, Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, incredible! It has been a worlds best seller for over 400 years running, its obvious God had something to do with this book! There are 50 of them sold every passing minute, and even the theifs think its important- its the worlds most shoplifted book.

No other book in history, or today gets even near these incredible stats.

The book is used to swear in Kings and people into court perceedings, and most hotels leave one in the room for their clients pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,754,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
There is no such thing as the christian bible.
What is referred to as the New Testament is the Christian Bible; it is not part of the Bible, or, if you prefer, the Jewish Bible.

Quote:
And God absolutely had everything to do with the bible being written. It was the fisrt book ever printed on a press. It has over 40 different authors, simply unheard of; it was written over a span of 1500 years, simply stunning! It was written on 3 different continents- Africa, Asia and Europe , and written in three different languages, Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek, incredible! It has been a worlds best seller for over 400 years running, its obvious God had something to do with this book! There are 50 of them sold every passing minute, and even the theifs think its important- its the worlds most shoplifted book.

No other book in history, or today gets even near these incredible stats.

The book is used to swear in Kings and people into court perceedings, and most hotels leave one in the room for their clients pleasure.
What you have proffered is your opinion but is not any proof that the Almighty had anything whatsoever to do with the Christian Bible.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,840,501 times
Quote:
And, exactly which traditions that violated any of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) would those be?
The Ten Commandments are authentic; the rest are not.

God Himself wrote the Ten Commandments on the tablets of stone, and then they were written on the parchment and known by heart by people of all generations.

In the Quran the Ten Commandments are cited and they are general to all people, while in the Torah of Ezra, the Commandments are restricted to "your neighbor".

Old 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanassir View Post
The Ten Commandments are authentic; the rest are not.
The Ten Mitzvot (Commandments), otherwise known as the Aseret ha-Dibrot, are the chapter headings under which the other 603 Mitzvot (Commandments), also given to Moishe (Moses) at Sinai, are organized.

Additionally, when discussing the 10 Commandments, which version?

From Judaism 101: Aseret ha-Dibrot: The "Ten Commandments"

Judaism, unlike Catholicism and Protestantism, considers "I am the L-rd, your G-d" to be the first "commandment." Catholicism, unlike Judaism and Protestantism, considers coveting property to be separate from coveting a spouse. Protestantism, unlike Judaism and Catholicism, considers the prohibition against idolatry to be separate from the prohibition against worshipping other gods. No two religions agree on a single list. So whose list should we post?

And once we decide on a list, what translation should we post? Should Judaism's sixth declaration be rendered as "Thou shalt not kill" as in the popular KJV translation, or as "Thou shalt not murder," which is a bit closer to the connotations of the original Hebrew though still not entirely accurate?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
In the Quran the Ten Commandments are cited and they are general to all people, while in the Torah of Ezra, the Commandments are restricted to "your neighbor".
The 613 Mitzvot (Commandments), include the 10 Commandments, and are only binding on those at Sinai, their descendents and those who voluntarily accept them through conversion.

Gentiles are bound by the 7 Noahide Commandments.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,840,501 times
Quote:
The 613 Mitzvot (Commandments), include the 10 Commandments, and are only binding on those at Sinai, their descendents and those who voluntarily accept them through conversion.

Gentiles are bound by the 7 Noahide Commandments.
It reached you like this; but in fact only the Ten Commandments are certain and authentic; the rest are not the importance of the Ten Commandments which are the principals of God's religion, particularly the First and most important of them.

In fact the Ten Commandments written by God Himself on the tablets of stone are also called the Ten Words of God.

Moreover, the "Gentiles" this differentiation was only because the Israelites were monotheists devoting themselves to God alone and obeying His apostles and prophets (and were the "chosen people of God" in their time); while the rest of people were idolaters and associaters.

Now, Muslims who devote themselves to God alone and believe in all the apostles of God including Jesus and Mohammed ... these are the "Chosen people of God" : He chose them to be exclusively devoted to Him alone without associate, and to be believers in all His apostles (without exception) and believers in the revealed Quran in addition to the original Torah and Gospel.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
... and to be believers in all His apostles (without exception) and believers in the revealed Quran in addition to the original Torah and Gospel.
The original, and still the same, Torah, contains the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments).

Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 PM

460 posts, read 594,702 times
Ahem,

Just so we get our facts correct,

the world's first movable type printing system was invented in China in 1040 by Bi Sheng. Around 1230, a metal movable type system was invented in Korea. The oldest book printed, recognized by UNESCO, was the Jinki, a collection of Buddhist teachings.

Gutenberg invented the printing press around 1450. Obviously, his machine was a tad easier to operate.

The Bible was printed up and distributed as a result of two major factors:

1. Luther's translation into German (almost formulating and establishing the grammar and syntax of the language) fueled by the Protestant revolution to get the word available to everyone in opposition to the then status quo of a few priests;

and 2. The perponderance of the then belief of a Plato-like cosmos with a real heaven and a real heaven with the Earth sandwiched in-between, and life centered around a very fundamentalistic religion supported by scriptures held dearer than life itself.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
Ahem,

Just so we get our facts correct,

the world's first movable type printing system was invented in China in 1040 by Bi Sheng. Around 1230, a metal movable type system was invented in Korea. The oldest book printed, recognized by UNESCO, was the Jinki, a collection of Buddhist teachings.

Interesting, I never heard of this. How many other books were printed after this Jinki?

I looked up the Jikji and it was printed in 1377, 70 years before the bible. I am going to have to rephrase how I relate that when I next give my list on bible facts; but thank you for this update. I learned something here.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I never heard of this. How many other books were printed after this Jinki?

I looked up the Jikji and it was printed in 1377, 70 years before the bible. I am going to have to rephrase how I relate that when I next give my list on bible facts; but thank you for this update. I learned something here.

This is one reason why I enjoy posting on boards; every now and then the learning wave comes by and refreshes me with its water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality