Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:41 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,228,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
We are largely in agreement, but the sticking point is the "separate but equal" clause: "but men and women do have different roles."

The point here, Vizio, is that they are determined by fiat rather than capability and I don't believe that is from God.
So nevermind that Scripture explicitly commands that men and women have different roles? If you don't believe the Bible, then fine...but I do. And I did so long before I was a pastor. I did so long before I even realized the passages regarding the roles of men and women were even known to me. If we're going to claim to believe the bible, we must be willing to actually submit to what it says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 02:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,244,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If we're going to claim to believe the bible, we must be willing to actually submit to what it says.
Who decided that?

Old 12-26-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Who decided that?
Isn't that what it means by believing it? Isn't that what it means to be honest to our belief that it's God's Word? Why would one believe it is God's Word and then choose to ignore it?

Old 12-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Isn't that what it means by believing it? Isn't that what it means to be honest to our belief that it's God's Word? Why would one believe it is God's Word and then choose to ignore it?
So you can't answer the question.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:01 PM

20,103 posts, read 13,555,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Losing my religion for equality

We ask, in particular, that leaders of all religions have the courage to acknowledge and emphasise the positive messages of dignity and equality that all the world's major faiths share.
The truth is that male religious leaders have had - and still have - an option to interpret holy teachings either to exalt or subjugate women. They have, for their own selfish ends, overwhelmingly chosen the latter.

The pitiful truth about many organized religions. It can't be denied, but certainly can be changed if people (men) are willing and women to fight for their basic human rights.
If there's a choice of two interpretations, which are basically opposite and have opposite effects ... then why would you even follow the scriptures in the first place? They are obviously written as empty templates to support whatever people choose to believe.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So you can't answer the question.
I'm sorry...I thought I did. I find it inconceivable that one might recognize the Bible as God's Word yet be unwilling to adhere to it. I just can't fathom why that would be.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:09 PM

20,103 posts, read 13,555,795 times
Quote:
So nevermind that Scripture explicitly commands that men and women have different roles? If you don't believe the Bible, then fine...but I do. And I did so long before I was a pastor. I did so long before I even realized the passages regarding the roles of men and women were even known to me. If we're going to claim to believe the bible, we must be willing to actually submit to what it says.
The owner of a company and one of her dock workers have different roles too. That doesn't speak to their value, equality or capability as human beings, or prove that the dock worker couldn't be a capable company owner or that the owner wouldn't make a great dock worker. They are simply in different roles because of different circumstances, efforts and interests -- and quite possibly different social pressures and (lack of) support.

Really at bottom all that is being suggested is that women are autonomous human beings just like men, and do not "belong" to certain men, and male and female "roles" are largely a matter of history, habit and tradition rather than something inherent in the genders. Women should be able to vote, get paid the same for the same work, and have their needs, feelings, preferences and choices respected and honored the same as men. You believe that what scripture says governs; what in scripture is opposed to this?

Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry...I thought I did.
Nope. You did the aptly-named Slick thing and avoided the question by asking more questions.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-26-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The owner of a company and one of her dock workers have different roles too. That doesn't speak to their value, equality or capability as human beings, or prove that the dock worker couldn't be a capable company owner or that the owner wouldn't make a great dock worker. They are simply in different roles because of different circumstances, efforts and interests -- and quite possibly different social pressures and (lack of) support.
You're absolutely correct. I couldn't agree more.
Quote:
Really at bottom all that is being suggested is that women are autonomous human beings just like men, and do not "belong" to certain men, and male and female "roles" are largely a matter of history, habit and tradition rather than something inherent in the genders. Women should be able to vote, get paid the same for the same work, and have their needs, feelings, preferences and choices respected and honored the same as men. You believe that what scripture says governs; what in scripture is opposed to this?
I completely agree. And I agree that Scripture in no way suggests that women are inferior or not to be treated as equals with men. I thank God for the women in my church that participate and serve God. The church treasurer is a woman. Another very capable woman prints the bulletins for Sunday morning. Other women are great at taking charge and I am thankful that I can count on them to teach Sunday School, organize a special dinner, or even to plan events like the VBS. If I'm honest, my church runs and functions because we have some very capable women that choose to use their God-given talents and gifts in our church.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:19 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,214,622 times
It would be one whacked out god who would make me the better leader then tell me not too because of my genitalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality